Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout: New Vegas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

humanji wrote: »
    lol, I picked the Wild Wilderness perk and it allowed me to find
    the body of Indiana Jones in a fridge
    . Apparently if you pick that perk it allows you to find loads of easter eggs like that.

Oh hell yes, that's exactly the sort of silliness FO3 didn't have enough of! All pre-loaded here on Steam. If only Gaelcon had chosen another weekend. Bah. Oh well. It'll be nice to come back to, when all those college assignments have piled up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Threads merged. Absolutely no need for the extra two threads with minor questions on a game that already has a thread.

There are going to be tonnes of threads with minor questions once this is released, and there is no need to merge, this is the argument why we want a forum.

If threads start being merged its ridiculous. A large mega thread peoples views can get lost in it, nobody will keep trawling through pages upon pages to see if they got a reply.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There are going to be tonnes of threads with minor questions once this is released, and there is no need to merge, this is the argument why we want a forum.

If threads start being merged its ridiculous. A large mega thread peoples views can get lost in it, nobody will keep trawling through pages upon pages to see if they got a reply.

We'll see. The games already out and we've had only two threads on it that didn't deserve their own threads. It will die down in the next few days. Absolutely no need for a new forum but that's up to the admins to decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

We'll see. The games already out and we've had only two threads on it that didn't deserve their own threads. It will die down in the next few days. Absolutely no need for a new forum but that's up to the admins to decide.

Fair enough, i dont mean the little one post answer queries in case i wasnt so clear, i mean i just wouldnt like to see alot of threads which could stand alone andprobably will stand alone merged in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

PS3 version was a mess last time and the game is built for PC and 360 architecture so I'm sure the PS3 version will be the worst affected this time as well.

In fairness i never had a single game freeze or weird thing happen until i tried to go onto the spaceship on PS3, game worked perfectly everytime other than that

I found the pc version crashed just as much as the PS3 version and the DLC was just an absolute joke, and they were cross platform issues so I wouldn't say it was the porting process to the PS3, but just overall dodgy coding.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Fair enough, i dont mean the little one post answer queries in case i wasnt so clear, i mean i just wouldnt like to see alot of threads which could stand alone andprobably will stand alone merged in.

If they are worth their own thread they'll stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

CombatCow wrote: »
    I found the pc version crashed just as much as the PS3 version and the DLC was just an absolute joke, and they were cross platform issues so I wouldn't say it was the porting process to the PS3, but just overall dodgy coding.

I bought the Xbox 360 version and I and many others had to wait two months for a fix to the game's crashing a third through the main-story. It's an open secret that you buy an open-ended game from Bethesda Softworks at release at your peril, because of the complexity of the games, they will never be perfect at release; it's a toss of a coin how big or small the issues are.

I got Fallout 3 for the 360 well after it was released and had been patched up and it locked up on my numerous times during long play sessions still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Had my first crash. I was out in the open (Just entering Pimm, for those who know it. Just at the bridge). I saved not too far back, so it's no real loss, but just remember to save often.

I'm actually liking it more than the previous game so far. Combat is a bit of a problem for me so far. I'm playing hardcore and have a more intellectual character. That wasn't a problem in the first two games, but in FO3 and FNV it's pretty much a death sentence from the start. You spend your time just running away.

I tried making an idiot character, but all the conversation choices seemed the same. I was really hoping to have moron choices and it's a bit stupid that they don't.

But as I said, I'm enjoying it. Lots of new weapons, new perks, a better sense of humour, the faction system is good as it makes you try and plan out how you'll act towards people.

To be honest though, I kind of feel that Obsidian were hindered by this game engine. The quests and conversations seem stilted in that they have a set amount of responses and then that's it. But you feel that they should have multiple conversation routes that you could only choose one from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Kotaku's unboxing :pac:

Disclaimer: This is not actually a kotaku blogger, i'd probably stop reading the blog if it was :P
    In fairness, that body could be Fahey's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I thought i was him until he clarified that it wasn't :P

Woden wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been discussed already.

Have pre ordered for pc and realised it is not a gfwl.

Can anyone confirm it still works with the pc version of the xbox controller?

Cheers,

Woden

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=does+Fallout+New+Vegas+on+PC+work+with+the+Xbox+360+controller%3F

Well it's not totally a non-issue. It kind of breaks up the game. I like getting immersed in a game, and as pathetic as it makes me sound, I like to follow a quest to it's end as it happens. Standing beside the end point and then legging it off to the other side of the map to check out some side missions, really takes away from that immersion. It makes you know that your timeis running out and that the game will end soon.

It really should be no problem for them to just let you keep on playing afterwards. I really feel that in this case it's them wanting people to get the DLC so that they can play on.

If it was a case of not being able to see the end and having to leave it until your completely finished with the game i'd agree with you, but it doesn't work like that.

As i said i didn't know the end of F3 was coming and entered the chamber, the game brought me to the start menu and i just reloaded a save point from during the journey to the purifier building. Most players should have had the cop to save it at some point along this journey, it was pretty long.

You didn't need to start the whole game again to play on just avoid going into the purifier from a previous save, and since you know the ending it's just like free roam just from a saved point.

That's why i don't think it's an issue as your able to just reload a previous save and continue your travels. You were never physically stopped from playing on, just impeded based on where you saved before entering the chamber

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Combat is a bit of a problem for me so far. I'm playing hardcore and have a more intellectual character. That wasn't a problem in the first two games, but in FO3 and FNV it's pretty much a death sentence from the start. You spend your time just running away.

Exact same as myself. Barter, Charisma, Science and Speech and Intelligence were the areas I spent most of my attribute points. Tough enough when facing one are two enemies, but when they hunt in packs it's death after death.

Here's some tips from PCGamer for those that are going to be starting off on Hardcore mode.
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/10/19/fallout-new-vegas-hardcore-mode-survival-guide/
    Think I might think about playing it through on hardcore mode on my second time...if I actually get around to playing it through and then again.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Definitely doing hardcore myself. There were mods for Fallout 3 that did similar things, and they made the game far more interesting.

Doubt i'll use hardcore. I want to play a game, not lead a second life.

Doubt i'll use hardcore. I want to play a game, not lead a second life.
    Ah in fairness, hardcore is made out to be more of a simulation than it actually is. There's plenty of food and water, stimpacks, drugs and doctors bags all over the place. The only thing it really makes you do is think about what fights you stick out and which you run from, which adds a fair bit to the game, although is will slow your progress if your planning on zooming through the game.

And you can turn it on and off whenever you like in the main menu (and I think you can get a bonus if you play through the game in hardcore. Although it's probably just some sort of achievement).

I'm not sure if this is just a hardcore thing, or if it's in the normal game too, but magazines seem to only be temporary, which is a little annoying as I didn't know this before using all of the ones I'd found at once. :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Was playing it last night. A bit meh so far.

Really? What's making it meh so far?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I wanted something different. This just feels like Fallout 3 with added shininess. Sure the Fallout 3 formula is great and all, but jesus after 100's of hours on it I wanted something fresh :P

The hardcore mode is good though, makes things very difficult only after 4/5 hours in. Still gonna play through, but my initial thoughts are 'meh, could've been better'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

to be fair my initial impression of fallout 3 was that it was very boring until the 10 hour mark maybe.. when your finished most other games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Polar101

http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/falloutnewvegas/review.html?tag=topslot;thumb;2

More reviews out. The part about technical problems doesn't sound super promising.

Yeah, every review I've seen so far goes along the lines of: Great game, nice new additions, a bit too similar to the last one, riddled with bugs.

This may sound like a silly question to ask but would the bugs exist in the PC version only or would it be across all formats?

There will be bugs in all versions, some can be cross platform and some can be platform specific.

This may sound like a silly question to ask but would the bugs exist in the PC version only or would it be across all formats?

All formats so it seems. I've been playing on the PC but only tried a few sidequests so far. Game refused to allow me to finish one and had to restart the game, and one NPC had eyes floating on his head, but thats about it.

I've heard bugs on the 360 and PS3 of rotating heads, NPCs stuck on the ceiling and horrible horrible lag after long periods of gameplay, as well as corrupt saves. I'm sure Besetha with fix most of the issues, but even with the bugs ironed out, it's just not as exciting as those many hours in Fallout 3 (so far). Gonna play some more after work today.

EDIT: Here's a quick video on only a few bugs

DOUBLE EDIT: Random lockups on all 3 platforms

So would it best for me to not purchase the game tomorrow and wait for the bugs to be ironed out, or could it be likely they'll release a patch online via xbox live?

They are releasing a patch tomorrow for the crashes/hangs, so you will just have the floating heads and other random stuff to enjoy. I wouldn't let that stuff put me off buying/enjoying the game at all.

• Advertisement

Apparently most of the bugs (other than the crashes and shtuff) are hilarious, i so i won't really mind :P

Advertisement