Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout: New Vegas

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Are magazines temporary stat boosting or permanent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,097 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Just got the game. I left it running on the start up screen while I checked something online. Came back to it a few minutes later, pressed start to begin - nothing.

It had crashed already! :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Are magazines temporary stat boosting or permanent?

Magazines are plus 10 temporary, handy enough at the start to get your stats to the 25 needed for a lot of basic things. The books are +3 permanent. There are perks that expand/extend these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

pixelburp wrote: »
    I gotta say, I was tempted to get this game, even though I knew it wasn't a vast change from the previous game; but from all that I'm reading there's no way I'm parting with my cash until they fix the bugs, I'm not buying a broken game.

Seriously, these companies operate in the level of millions of euro, if they can't be bothered testing these products then I'll wait and see rather than reward slapdash development with my money.

+1

Seriously, what is it with Obsidian and bugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Armedocr

Picked up the CE for PC around 12.30 today in Gamestop Henry street. Didn't even need a pre order :) Doesn't have an sticker telling me what number I have though :(

No crashes or bugs after a good 4 hours. Really nice game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Polar101

Trying to decide between the PC and PS3 versions. I had Oblivion on the PC (fun with mods) and Fallout 3 on the PS3 (really enjoyed it even though it was apparently the "worst" version of the three). The only thing that bothered me about the Fallout 3 PS3 version was the draw distance - would that be better in the PC version of New Vegas?

Going to wait for the first major patch anyway, as I'm currently going through the Fallout 3 DLCs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I've been playing for nearly two hours now. I'm enjoying it so far.

I have had the game crash on me once about an hour in. I also got stuck in a rock at one point and had to reload. Luckily i'd just saved before these things happened.

I had a good look around the starting village and have just entered a town to the south. The whole faction reputation is going to make the game interesting though so far i've yet to see the effects of it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Had my first CTD about half an hour in,very annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

i just logged back into it, i have it on the ps3

and patch 1.1 is out, 19mb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Only had 1 crash on 360, but needed time to break away for cooking pizza anyways. Also faced Fallout's impressive "scaled levelling...bitch, please!!!" when at level 2 1/2 I bumped into 2 Giant Radscorpions within view distance of the starter town...I lasted 3 hits :(

Loving the crafting, with breaking down ammo to make others, and cooking stuff (all those Empty Nuka Cola bottles are useful now).

Also got a free Caravan Pack code from the guy in Xtra-Vision without pre-order :D Caravan Shotgun from the start is very handy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Got a free t-shirt with mine in hmv didnt even pre order, and in a chocking tuen of events it actually fits me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭Currys PC World: Declan

Guys, in desperate search for a bit of help here. My 17 yr old son, The Dude, is like a bag of cats right now. So I asked him to write down what's up and said I'd search for help on boards. So he's written it down as follows ;

"Bought New Vegas earlier today, installed it without any issues. But as soon as I tried to play it, I got stuck in this auto configuration loop. The message you get the first time you play it which says " FNV is detecting your video hardware and will adjust video settings accordingly" Should come up only once but keeps coming up every time I hit " Play ".

Running it on an Acer 5745G laptop - 4 gb RAM, IGB GPU and 2.2 GHZ processor. Runs Crysis on High so should run FNV.

Anyone had a similar issue ? We need to get him out of the dark place he's currently in.

Hours in and still haven't had a crash.

Not sure what the reviews were on about saying it was worse then 3 for crashing, so far for me it's been BETTER, never mind even equal. Minor lagging but not too much.

VERY hard so far. You come across a lot of hard enemies off the bat. Maybe i made it harder for myself by leaving the main quest and making my way to Vegas(where i had to cross death claws and died once and just scrapped it the second time, they covered a vast area you couldn't avoid them)

Have a serious amount of quests built up already, makes up for the small map i guess.

Anyone know what the shield icon means when hitting some targets?.... does it mean that particular body part, the gun your using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Hours in and still haven't had a crash.

Not sure what the reviews were on about saying it was worse then 3 for crashing, so far for me it's been BETTER, never mind even equal. Minor lagging but not too much.

VERY hard so far. You come across a lot of hard enemies off the bat. Maybe i made it harder for myself by leaving the main quest and making my way to Vegas(where i had to cross death claws and died once and just scrapped it the second time, they covered a vast area you couldn't avoid them)

A lot of the characters i spoke to in Goodsprings kept warning me not to go north. I headed south instead and the enemies are around the same level i am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Anyone know what the shield icon means when hitting some targets?.... does it mean that particular body part, the gun your using?

It means they have armour, so armour piercing bullets will benefit againts such targets.

Yeah heading north from the beginning is not a great idea, radscorpions and deathclaws are plentiful. Also, you need 2000 caps to enter the strip

Finding the initial character set up much tougher to decide on this time.

The traits in the last part seemed like more of a hindrance then a help for the most part, but the last one sounded like fear and loathing in las vegas , im gonna creat a new game later to see what that does. In the the end I opted for nothing in traits , was that a mistake?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Guys, in desperate search for a bit of help here. My 17 yr old son, The Dude, is like a bag of cats right now. So I asked him to write down what's up and said I'd search for help on boards. So he's written it down as follows ;

"Bought New Vegas earlier today, installed it without any issues. But as soon as I tried to play it, I got stuck in this auto configuration loop. The message you get the first time you play it which says " FNV is detecting your video hardware and will adjust video settings accordingly" Should come up only once but keeps coming up every time I hit " Play ".

Running it on an Acer 5745G laptop - 4 gb RAM, IGB GPU and 2.2 GHZ processor. Runs Crysis on High so should run FNV.

Anyone had a similar issue ? We need to get him out of the dark place he's currently in.

Update the graphics drivers
    http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk

Update directX
    http://www.microsoft.com/games/en-US/aboutGFW/pages/directx.aspx

That's one of those laptops with the switching graphics cards, so make sure it's plugged in and that it's using the dedicated card.

If that fails, you may have to locate the settings file (probably an 'ini' file in my documents or the fallout NV folder) and change the settings manually - you may need to get this file from somebody else if it has not been created.

Also try deleting the ini file as a clean one should be created automatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭Currys PC World: Declan

Cheers, I sent him out to his mate for some R'n'R - he needs it. Hopefully this will give him a solution in the morning. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Man. Is it me or is this game harder than Fallout 3. I started off on very hard and as soon as i left the first town it got unreal. Huge spike in the difficulty. But on Fallout 3 i never had any trouble starting out on Very Hard. So i restarted with a new char and knocked the difficulty down to Hard. First death was at Primm so far. Gonna give it a break for the rest of the night.

Also is it me or does Mojave lack the, um, depression of the Capital Wasteland? Sometimes i feel like im playing a Western game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Man. Is it me or is this game harder than Fallout 3. I started off on very hard and as soon as i left the first town it got unreal. Huge spike in the difficulty. But on Fallout 3 i never had any trouble starting out on Very Hard. So i restarted with a new char and knocked the difficulty down to Hard. First death was at Primm so far. Gonna give it a break for the rest of the night.

Also is it me or does Mojave lack the, um, depression of the Capital Wasteland? Sometimes i feel like im playing a Western game

Did you go north or south?

• Advertisement

Krieg wrote: »
    It means they have armour, so armour piercing bullets will benefit againts such targets.

Yeah heading north from the beginning was not a great idea, radscorpions and deathclaws are plentiful. Also, you need 2000 caps to enter the strip

I made it up but it was tough tbh. Have buckets of quests already and only followed one line up. Didn't veer off or get onto the strip yet.

Discovered a caps exploit of sorts..... save before you play roulette and put 200 on a colour :D...not going to abuse it though, just did it two times to get to 2k to i can go onto the strip now for a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

BArra wrote: »
    where does it say which number in the line of collectors edition number you got?

I've a circular shiny sticker on the top left corner of the CE sleve.

And as a correction it's 1073 out of 3400 [UK CE], apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Been playing for a few hours now, gonna give it a rest for tonight, currently in Novac.

My jaw dropped as soon as I heard some of the Original's music in the game :D

I'm still in goodsprings after 2 hours of running around now I've been hobbled by a baby gecko and his pal and am crawling back to town to see the doc. Playing on hardcore but difficulty went down to normal and will likely go down another notch soon :pac:

Met a guy who said he was following me and told be about
    blue star caps

I always get a feeling of being overwhelmed by stuff to do when I start these games, already I have tonnes of places to go back and check and likely find my death in :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Played it around three hours so far, really liking the game so far. I find the entire game to be quite different from Fallout 3. The very fact that there is evidence of some sort of working civilisation is quite refreshing! Its nothing like the Wasteland in Fallout 3. All in fall, it lacks the "depressingness" found in Fallout 3.

Playing it on hard myself, and the game is far harder than Fallout 3 in my view - the fact that there are more valleys and the like makes it harder to avoid enemies.

The game only crashed on me once, and that was when I went to quit the game. However I have seen some . . . odd things occurring. Such as people falling through the ground at rock mounds and the like, there are some clipping issues for sure. :eek:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I have died countless times on normal with hardcore mode on.
    Nightkin are hard as nails. Had to leave the quest to wipe them out in the basement for the ghosts on "The Final Journey"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Been playing for a few hours now, gonna give it a rest for tonight, currently in Novac.

My jaw dropped as soon as I heard some of the Original's music in the game :D

Ditto!

I was hoping there would be more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

So is it the same as fallout 3 in that ps3 has the most problems and 360 is fairly ok??

I have both machines and have kinda been buying ps3 versions of everything lately.

I remember back when i bought fallout 3 i got it originally for ps3 and had nothing but problems switched to the 360 and was fine. Is this the same???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

I have died countless times on normal with hardcore mode on.
    Nightkin are hard as nails. Had to leave the quest to wipe them out in the basement for the ghosts on "The Final Journey"
    incinerator is your friend for that one

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Ye have been using it more than any other weapon. My problem is I put very little stats into combat and concentrated on other aspects. I may just bide my time and level up.
    The incinerator is awesome!

Advertisement