Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout: New Vegas

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Been doing some of the Cass missions as well as the Crimson Caravan ones too.

Got to the stage that I cant do anything without it crashing on me. Buying stuff from a merchant in Mojave Outpost. Even walking down the street in Freeside is doing it to me. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

Been doing some of the Cass missions as well as the Crimson Caravan ones too.

Got to the stage that I cant do anything without it crashing on me. Buying stuff from a merchant in Mojave Outpost. Even walking down the street in Freeside is doing it to me. :mad:

You have the d3d9 fix? I haven't crashed since I installed that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Loco wrote: »
    You have the d3d9 fix? I haven't crashed since I installed that
    Yeah. Been using it for almost a week now. Saw some performance increase and less crashing. But I just went through a deluge of crashing. Think it was happening almost every time a conversation was initiated/finished. If a conversation started without crashing, then it would crash by the end of it. Seems to have sorted itself out now. Just fast traveld to somewhere else and entered the area it was happening in from a different entrance.

I still get some stuttering when playing the game, even with the d3d9 fix. Not as bad as before mind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Anyone else have trouble picking up the Q-35 unique palsma rifle?, i can see it but can't pick it up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Anyone else have trouble picking up the Q-35 unique palsma rifle?, i can see it but can't pick it up.

I've seen some get past that by throwing explosives at it to move it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

As part of my murderous rampage of bad guys, i stumbled into
    red rock canyon
    around 4 am and in a lodge found 5 sleeping Khans. As i had a moment to think about how i was going to murder them (landmines? Single Sniper shot ?) i realised i found some C4 in a cave near the dam and hadny used it before.

So i placed 5 C4s then retreated to the other end of the room to detonate, sweet jesus i never used C4 before, it blew them out of the room and into other adjoining rooms in various positions.

My new found pleasure is C4 beside sleeping people. This game gives so much :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Gah, I have no backbone: I caved and bought the game at the weekend, no longer able to resist the temptation of all those stories and incidents you guys have been speaking of.

Jumping back in I was instantly reminded why I both loved and absolutely hated Fallout 3 in equal measure. Great game, shame about the engine.

On the one hand you have the seemingly endless adventure of wandering the wastelands, finding quests, characters and just living in the world. It's all like a slightly more rail-roaded version of Minecraft. I went straight for Hardcode mode, Fallout 3 got far too easy, far too fast once I levelled up.

On the other hand, there's still no shaking the feeling that you're playing with someone's final year project. The game may not be completely unplayable, but it's so lacking in polish in places it's hard not to think of this game as broken. If I didn't know who made this, I would have assumed this was built in Russia, such is the wobbly build of the whole thing: Chracters sliding across the landscape with their stiff animations; AI bizarrely running about like headless chickens as you stand ontop a rock for god's sake (this is assuming they first don't get stuck in the scenary); constant performance issues with the game stuttering at the most inocuous moments. Jesus, hire some QA people Bethesda, or just spend your millions on a new engine. Please.

Even so, am loving it all the same. I haven't taken a blind bit of notice of the main quest: once I left Goodspring I decided just to have a wander, see where it takes me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

pixelburp wrote: »
    once I left Goodspring I decided just to have a wander, see where it takes me.

Go North ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Patricide wrote: »
    For anyone playing this on the pc with problems check out the first mod here. Made the game perfectly playable for me, before it was crashing with a terrible frame rate. Now shes perfect!

http://www.overclock.net/pc-games/851242-fallout-nv-essential-mods-thread.html

Thank you kindly! Dunno why anyone would choose the mods to make things easier, but meh, some really useful stuff on that list.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

calex71 wrote: »
    Go North ;)
    Into the
    quarry marked "danger: deathclaws"
    ? Uhmmmm, I'll get back to you ;) :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

calex71 wrote: »
    Go North ;)

340x.gif

How deathclaws respond.

/stolen from a thread on Kotaku.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,099 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I went straight for Hardcode mode, Fallout 3 got far too easy, far too fast once I levelled up.

Maybe just cut back on the weapon stats? I found the same thing with Fallout 3 getting too easy after a certain point of leveling up.

This time I went for a really intelligent character and eased back on all the weapons. They're decent enough to get through fights, but not amazing enough to be taking the head off death claws with a couple of shots. I'm on level fifteen now and just about managed to kill a death claw with some help from a NPC.

As much as I'd love to try Hardcore mode, I don't have all the time in the world to pour into games like I did in the past. So it just wasn't practical :( Fallout games are long enough as is playing them normally.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Maybe just cut back on the weapon stats? I found the same thing with Fallout 3 getting too easy after a certain point of leveling up.

This time I went for a really intelligent character and eased back on all the weapons. They're decent enough to get through fights, but not amazing enough to be taking the head off death claws with a couple of shots. I'm on level fifteen now and just about managed to kill a death claw with some help from a NPC.

As much as I'd love to try Hardcore mode, I don't have all the time in the world to pour into games like I did in the past. So it just wasn't practical :( Fallout games are long enough as is playing them normally.
    I agree; I have a full time job and a bunch of commitments outside of work so I just don't game as much as I used to - if I do it tends to be stuff like SC2 / TF2, quick games.

This is also why I have no interest in the main game's plot (which in itself is pretty boring anyway - there's not much of a hook), I prefer just to wander around for an hour or two, see what I find by way of locations and whatnot. Again a bit like minecraft. I chose hardcore though because I wanted to increase the atmosphere of the game; charging around as Rambo of the wastelands got boring and really took me out of the vibe of the game.

Though the notion of wandering does remind me of another thing I hated from Fallout 3 - those boring slogs through abandoned buildings, shooting at random gang members for some mcguffin. God that's so intolerably dull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Does anyone know where i can find a detonator for C4?

I've tried the Gun Runners shop and Mick and Ralphs (where i read i could buy one) and nobody seems to sell them.

Though the notion of wandering does remind me of another thing I hated from Fallout 3 - those boring slogs through abandoned buildings, shooting at random gang members for some mcguffin. God that's so intolerably dull.

Agreed - FO3 was full of boring, repetitive slogs. Thankfully, I haven't hit one yet in New Vegas!

Does anyone know where i can find a detonator for C4?

I've tried the Gun Runners shop and Mick and Ralphs (where i read i could buy one) and nobody seems to sell them.
    Camp Gaurdian north of Hoover Dam tonnes of them and C4, may have to kill one or 2 mirelurks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

I know, but sur some people are strange.

Anyone know where I can find
    helios 2, I sent power there but I have no idea where it is. Also looking to run into some brotherhood of steel types, is this advisable?

Also looking to run into some brotherhood of steel types, is this advisable?

Very light spoilers:
    There's some BoS near the south centre of the map in Hidden Valley. They come up later in the game unavoidably, but the sooner the better I reckon, since they're a source of power armour training.

Spear wrote: »
    340x.gif

How deathclaws respond.

So true.

Level 26 now so decided i'm going to go for these guys, bumped into 3 young ones, killed them no probs, then saw one way off, took out the anti material and one shotted him to the head, thinking no problem. I then proceeded to get raped by the rest of them. bloody hell even by themselves they're tough but you rarely bump into of them, usually 3 of them. nothing worse than one of them getting up close switching to the assault carbine and emptying 5 vats close range into its face and it barely dents it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

Engaged my first Deathclaw today. Had Veronica with me as i just picked her up from the 188. He two shotted her while i was pelting his legs out of it with a Modded Lazer rifle. Then came and two shotted me. Didnt even cripple one of his legs. Anybody that says "They arnt to hard" Or "They where easy enough" arnt playing this game on Very Hard...

They are alot harder than in Fallout 3 + the lack of the dart gun is insane. Im gonna use explosives or a mine next time i face one and hope to get a leg cripple.

Sniper rifle with supressor or Anti mater rifle , also use stealthboy and hidden and you can snipe them in the head at long distances i also tend to try and stand as high up as possible i also am using veronica

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

jeawan wrote: »
    Sniper rifle with supressor or Anti mater rifle , also use stealthboy and hidden and you can snipe them in the head at long distances i also tend to try and stand as high up as possible i also am using veronica

Yeah you get a massive damage bonus using stealth !!!!!!!!!! If you get discovered, leg it :D

It seems that the Blind Deathclaws are not as powerful as the Young Deathclaws.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah, i ran into a load of blind death claws when i first got the anti materiel rifle and I cleaned them out so I figured "awesome, now deathclaws aren't going to be a problem" so I sauntered over to
    the quarry
    to clean it out

dear christ, I was wrong

yeah, i ran into a load of blind death claws when i first got the anti materiel rifle and I cleaned them out so I figured "awesome, now deathclaws aren't going to be a problem" so I sauntered over to
    the quarry
    to clean it out

dear christ, I was wrong
    stealth boys and lots of land mines, you wont kill them with the mines but you will slow them down enough to pick off with the anti material rifle

Anyone get any mods for the Anti Material rifle? Gun Runners never have any.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

I know, but sur some people are strange.

helios 2, I sent power there but I have no idea where it is. Also looking to run into some brotherhood of steel types, is this advisable?
    i found veronica at a small marketon the way up to new vegas... cant remember the exatct location tho sorry... but once she comes with you start going thru the chat options and she'll tell you about the bos and how to get in

blaze1 wrote: »
    i found veronica at a small marketon the way up to new vegas... cant remember the exatct location tho sorry... but once she comes with you start going thru the chat options and she'll tell you about the bos and how to get in
    Shes at the 188 trading post

Any way to kill those -
    mercs harrassing Jacobstown
    without making enemies with NCR?

Would like to get their weapons / armour. Can you catch up with them later?

Loco wrote: »
    Any way to kill those -
    mercs harrassing Jacobstown
    without making enemies with NCR?

Would like to get their weapons / armour. Can you catch up with them later?
    i talked them out of it , then killed them.

did the same with the khan at bitter springs, he gave me the key, we parted ways with a freinldy hug then i parted his head from his body with a sniper rifle
    im a bit of a **** like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Rare weapon prob one of the best from defeating deathclaws. Didnt embed it to prevent a spoiler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oegbPPaC8Bo&feature=player_embedded

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Installed most of the mods last night, and the difference is amazing. The d3d.dll thing makes a massive improvement to my framerate (allowing me to bump up the pretty levels a couple more notches), the binoculars are actually useful now, and the mouse isn't skidding all over the place like a drunk cow in a shopping trolley.

Also, Vault 11 was cleverly done. Much respect to the designers. Fine wee story.

Advertisement