Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout: New Vegas

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

lafortezza wrote: »
    Is there any way to stop my companion (Boone) from running off and engaging enemies as soon as I they appear on my radar?

Also, is the Come Fly With Me quest difficult for a level 8 character + Boone?
    I'm about to go to the basement and I've heard bad things about Nightkin.

There are a couple of ways of doing the quest. But I did not find it too bad with Boone and ED-E (His companion perk allows you to target cloaked Nightkin through VATS)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Is there any way to stop my companion (Boone) from running off and engaging enemies as soon as I they appear on my radar?

Landmines and try not to fight 2 at the same time.

You can tell them to attack from distance or melee or be aggressive or not, thats as far as the commands go.

@lafortezza - (big spoiler)
    You don't have to kill the Nightkins though. If you go searching you'll find one down there who will talk - eventual conversation leads to you finding out that there is a Ghoul locked in the basement. Kill him and then go to the computer to find that what the Nightkins are searching for isn't there, report back to the one who asked you to find the Ghoul and then, if I'm right, they'll all leave

Something is annoying me lately- when your companion kills, it moves into slowmo like in VATs mode and when it returns to normal, you're turned in whatever direction they were killed. This has often led to me 1) getting the sh1t scared out of me, especially when I'm low on health and being chased by a Deathclaw and 2) getting confused when I don't know entirely if I'm going in the right direction. Is this happening to anyone else?

Had a pretty funny moment recently where I was making my way to the
    Great Khan base
    from
    Goodspring Cemetery
    and ended up having about 5 radscorpions, 3 deathclaws and some of those annoying flys that seem to be everywhere all following me - this is while I have little or no ammo and low on health.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I did that when I was level 5 and I used a rebar bar to deal with the knightkin :cool: which was very effective :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I did it at level 10/11 by myself.
    The rebar melee weapon is suprisingly strong, and its not hard to time your swings/movement so you dodge theirs and get in hits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Something is annoying me lately- when your companion kills, it moves into slowmo like in VATs mode and when it returns to normal, you're turned in whatever direction they were killed. This has often led to me 1) getting the sh1t scared out of me, especially when I'm low on health and being chased by a Deathclaw and 2) getting confused when I don't know entirely if I'm going in the right direction. Is this happening to anyone else?

Press E on PC to stop it instantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Have a major problem. Went to the place where you get the gauss gun(cant remember the name of it) but now im surrounded by about 30 of those fly things the second I leave the cabin. biggest problem is that I cant even get back into the cabin with the save.

Got plenty of stimpacks and guns an ammo but im terrible at killing those things.

Any ideas?

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Press E on PC to stop it instantly.

It's "action" on xbox360, but it doesn't stop you from being turned around though. It just seems a bit odd that they don't give you the option of turning it off - though I wonder if it is tied in with the VAT killcam; I think there is the option of turning it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

For those who are looking to see where you left your companions, they are now represented as a way point marker on your map. a little triangle. This was patched on the PC yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,439 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Darn, went wandering to Sloan (just started) found a Deathclaw nearby and Chomp Lewis and the other miners got slaughtered trying to kill it.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Darn, went wandering to Sloan (just started) found a Deathclaw nearby and Chomp Lewis and the other miners got slaughtered trying to kill it.
    Think it's time to reload a save? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

About to start, someone tell me quick - will I start on Normal or Hard (PS3)?

If you die a lot bump it down a notch , or hard you talking about hardcore mode vs normal ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Anyone that uses the d3d9 have any of ye had the problem of the game not starting when you are using it. When I try to use it when I press play in the launcher either nothing happens or the launcher reappears. Anyone had the same problem or know a way to get it to work? I'm experiencing the slow down when in a crowded area.

Patricide wrote: »
    Have a major problem. Went to the place where you get the gauss gun(cant remember the name of it) but now im surrounded by about 30 of those fly things the second I leave the cabin. biggest problem is that I cant even get back into the cabin with the save.

Got plenty of stimpacks and guns an ammo but im terrible at killing those things.

Any ideas?

Try a jet and the strongest weapon you have (gun/energy) and gives the most shots in vats then leg it after you get some breathing room ( assuming you are not playing on hardcore or else you are likely poisoned and crippled by the 1st few blows)

Throw in a some stat boosting magazines and stuff to boost damage resistance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Level 25. Decided I wanted to finish the game. May have been a bit premature, but it feels a bit disingenuous walking around doing other stuff while the climactic battle is waiting.
    I had taken over from House, so I was out for myself - but I had been sympathetic to the NCR the whole way through. So I got to the end, released my army of upgraded Securitron Robots, went in and dealt with the Legate. Tough fight, but I managed it with my newly acquired A-M rifle, and stealth boys. Then I go to leave. (I saved just before this). General Oliver and 5 heavily armed rangers show up (surrounded by my securitrons). Three things annoy the **** out of me here:

1. There's no option for me to simply hand the dam over to Oliver (as I had intended) now that I've taken it over.

2. As soon as we decide that we have to fight, I get one shot off in VATS and am instantly butchered by the Rangers. Running away doesn't help, nothing I have in my drug set helps and I can't get my speech up to 100 to talk my way out of it - basically I can't finish the game, due to point 3.

3. You can't fast travel away from the legates camp - once you're in for the last mission, you're in and you can't get out. So if you misjudged things, then you're kinda screwed. Now I realise that I can simply go back and reload a save game, but it just strikes me as odd. I know it would disturb the flow of the last sequence which is supposed to be all action. In a game like this though, there is usually some options open to you. Here, as far as I can tell, I have nothing.

Guess I'll just start again (not in Hardcore mode this time) as an absolute bastard.

In other news, spoiler tags are ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

ok, so i've lost her... told her to go back to the lucky 38, its been a couple of game days and she wasnt there... would she be waiting outside or should i check the trading post where u find her???

blaze1 wrote: »
    ok, so i've lost her... told her to go back to the lucky 38, its been a couple of game days and she wasnt there... would she be waiting outside or should i check the trading post where u find her???
    Check your map. She shows up as a little triangle on your map.

Check your map. She shows up as a little triangle on your map.

I think this is only if you are on PC though - don't think it works on consoles? Supposedly if you go to Vault 22 (is that the right one?) and then use the lift, they'll be there.

I think this is only if you are on PC though - don't think it works on consoles? Supposedly if you go to Vault 22 (is that the right one?) and then use the lift, they'll be there.
    Ah. Not too sure if the recent patch that came out on PC a few days ago has been rolled out for the consoles. That might explain it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

cool, cheers folks,

i'm on the 360 but havent updated since the game came out.. i'll have a gander tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

Any way to hide locations on your map?!

I got the explorer perk but there are just too many now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,439 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Think it's time to reload a save? :rolleyes:

You think its that important? I'm only a few hours in but don't think I'll be restarting.

I am already doing one quest which would have involved them but looks like I'll just be on the side of the bandits.

You think its that important? I'm only a few hours in but don't think I'll be restarting.

I am already doing one quest which would have involved them but looks like I'll just be on the side of the bandits.
    Nah it's not really that important, but you do miss out on some xp. But there's plenty of that to go around. I suppose those kind of encounters are what make it a great game. These things can happen, but you are still able to troop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Captain Average

Patricide wrote: »

Any ideas?
    Cazadors don't respond well to fire at all. Flame their asses if you have a flame thrower. Flame thrower also works brilliantly on nightkin
    :pac:

blaze1 wrote: »

Think I mentioned this a few pages ago, but go to vault 22 and use the lift, any companions you have lost or are waiting elsewhere will magically appear before you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

yesno1234 wrote: »
    Anyone that uses the d3d9 have any of ye had the problem of the game not starting when you are using it. When I try to use it when I press play in the launcher either nothing happens or the launcher reappears. Anyone had the same problem or know a way to get it to work? I'm experiencing the slow down when in a crowded area.

Do you have anything else installed?
    Start by removing the d3d9 fix and seeing if it will turn on, follow with other mods if it still wont. Alternatively try using a mod manager to turn on the game (even if the d3d9 fix is the only mod you have added).
    Do you have the latest patches installed?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Loco wrote: »
    Any way to hide locations on your map?!

I got the explorer perk but there are just too many now!

How did you get that perk?

How did you get that perk?

I think it's one of the options when you level up?

I think it's one of the options when you level up?

Oh well in that case I'll make sure not to pick,half the fun of this game is discovering new places :-).

• Advertisement

I may have stopped the whole issue of the slow-motion when your companion kills someone - I don't know if it's the same on other platforms but on xbox 360 it's settings -> gameplay -> kill cam mode and then put it to "none"

Advertisement