Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout: New Vegas

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I was thinking that they might give the first one for free...but then I came to my senses. If they do do that, it wont be coming for a long while.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I wonder how much would it will cost.how much was it on the xbox?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I wonder how much would it will cost.how much was it on the xbox?

800 microsoft points about €9 give or take.

it was decent enough but more set up for future dlc imo. and if they deliver on the story arc hinted at in this and the deck of cards/comic in the special ed then I would be very pleased.

It's better than operation anchorage and mother ship zeta but noto as good as broken steel or point look out or the pitt, one or two nice items but not even close to any of the fo:3 dlc stuff.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'll be able to get it from steam or the psn store yes?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't think ill be getting the DLC, not unless something equivalent to the Point Lookout DLC (or even Broken Steel) from Fallout 3 turns up. My main gripe with Fallout DLC thus far is that it plays completely against the whole ethos of the game - discovery and character-building. Generally I'm on the fence when it comes to DLC in games, but with Fallout I think it breaks the whole mood. Fallout's about finding stories in the wasteland, not having it all come to you on a platter (for a charge)

You buy a once-off set of missions that from the outset you know about (hell you don't even have to find it because you'll suddenly "discover" a new location), and so the whole sense of discovery & mystery is absent from the off. I don't know about anyone else, but most of my best Fallout moments come from random encounters and locations I stumbled across. The sense of "ooh, what's that undiscovered marker on my radar, eh?"

The previous DLC also cheats you out the sense of character; it contrives scenarios where your character is conveniently stripped of your items, all so Bethesda don't have to worry about any imbalance.

I refuse to pay 9 euro for a limited set of missions that you just go, do & complete, never looking back, when I can get the same experience from a whole rake of usermade mods. If Bethesda release another Point Lookout, or even a full blown expansion ala Oblivion's "Shivering Isles", then I'll be interested. Give me something new to explore please! :D

• Advertisement

Any good nv mods you can recommend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Any good nv mods you can recommend?

I would recommend:
    Sprint Mod (adds sprint button, uses action points, well integrated to the game imo)
    Cripple Effects Mod (makes targettig legs and arms useful, crippled legs drops speed, crippled arms effect accuracy)
    Nevada Skies (adds weather effects, sand/rain storms, great for atmosphere)
    FOOK (fixes loads of minor bugs, stuff like enemies not carrying the right items and incorrect effects from items-very important mod) (can also turn off invisible walls that stop you climbing mountains that you shoud be able to get up)
    Better binoculars (makes binoculars work properly, zoom is actually useful)
    Clean up New Vegas (gets rid of all the rubbish useless paper on the streets, hardly makes sense for 200 year old newspaper to have survived on the streets that long, also can help running of game, as it removes a load of static meshes)
    Lockpick interface retexture (seriously improves the look of teh lock picking minigame/interface)
    NVSE (Utility required for a lot of mods to work)
    Danified UI (UI overhaul, changes the default, huge sized text and interfaced, intended for console users, to smaller and neater more appropiate size for PC users)

Two more I'm playing with are the Hoverboard mod (adds a mission which results in you getting a fission battery powered hoverboard, haven't finished it yet, so dont know what its like) and jetpack mod (adds a working jetpack - users flamer fuel - however is added straight to your inventory when mod is activated and has no weight, so I only use it to mess around)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

Having finished Red Dead Redemption I'm looking for another good single player game and new vegas keeps popping up.

But for someone who hated Fallout 3, would it be worth my while? (I can get a free copy)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

You'll hate this as well then.

I would recommend:
    Sprint Mod (adds sprint button, uses action points, well integrated to the game imo)
    Cripple Effects Mod (makes targettig legs and arms useful, crippled legs drops speed, crippled arms effect accuracy)
    Nevada Skies (adds weather effects, sand/rain storms, great for atmosphere)
    FOOK (fixes loads of minor bugs, stuff like enemies not carrying the right items and incorrect effects from items-very important mod) (can also turn off invisible walls that stop you climbing mountains that you shoud be able to get up)
    Better binoculars (makes binoculars work properly, zoom is actually useful)
    Clean up New Vegas (gets rid of all the rubbish useless paper on the streets, hardly makes sense for 200 year old newspaper to have survived on the streets that long, also can help running of game, as it removes a load of static meshes)
    Lockpick interface retexture (seriously improves the look of teh lock picking minigame/interface)
    NVSE (Utility required for a lot of mods to work)
    Danified UI (UI overhaul, changes the default, huge sized text and interfaced, intended for console users, to smaller and neater more appropiate size for PC users)/

Two more I'm playing with are the Hoverboard mod (adds a mission which results in you getting a fission battery powered hoverboard, haven't finished it yet, so dont know what its like) and jetpack mod (adds a working jetpack - users flamer fuel - however is added straight to your inventory when mod is activated and has no weight, so I only use it to mess around)

Are there anymods that add new quests?
    Elessar wrote: »
    Having finished Red Dead Redemption I'm looking for another good single player game and new vegas keeps popping up.

But for someone who hated Fallout 3, would it be worth my while? (I can get a free copy)

Go get it now,you'll love it.

• Advertisement

Since it's free, yes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Since it's free, yes!

It's still just Fallout 3 set in Vegas though in fairness, there's no way that someone who hated 3 could possibly enjoy this, regardless of it being free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

I really don't think you should get it. It's basically Fallout 3 but a different location and slightly different level up system.

What exactly did you dislike about Fallout 3? Also, will you be getting it for a console or the PC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Are there anymods that add new quests?

I havent really looked for any new quests mods yet, but I have my eye on New Vegas Bounties which adds a load of new bounties which get more difficult as you go on, (heavily downloaded and endorsed on nexus). Other than that, I guess the best thing is to look at the quest and adventure section of the nexus site and look at the most downloaded or most endorsed files.

There is also one called Fallout Heroes which seems interesting, but looks like it might be best played in a new playthrough.

thanks for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

tman wrote: »
    It's still just Fallout 3 set in Vegas though in fairness, there's no way that someone who hated 3 could possibly enjoy this, regardless of it being free!

I grew to hate Fallout 3, I love New Vegas though, seems to understand Fallout-style humour much more than Fallout 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭sierra117x

Nope :( I just had a look on wiki there though and apparently there gonna release 8 dlcs altogether.Hope they release dead money soon on the pc.

8 where the hell did you get 8 from ? unless your including the 4 pre release packs ?

other than that they have dead money lonely hearts old world blues and some other one i cant remember . theres also major hints on dlc number 5 having something to do with the divide and ulyseuss but theres nothing in the pre grame script options( the graffiti like the other 4 ) to confirm this

sierra117x wrote: »
    8 where the hell did you get 8 from ? unless your including the 4 pre release packs ?

other than that they have dead money lonely hearts old world blues and some other one i cant remember . theres also major hints on dlc number 5 having something to do with the divide and ulyseuss but theres nothing in the pre grame script options( the graffiti like the other 4 ) to confirm this

I saw it on wikipedia,so I dunno maybe its wrong,what are the pre release packs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭sierra117x

I saw it on wikipedia,so I dunno maybe its wrong,what are the pre release packs?

Well the hint for dead money was in game grafitti about sierra madre that's found in the folder in the console . When dead money was released this information was confirmed . Also in the folder was grafitti for other dlc so strong hint for 4 or 5 more

Yeah there was a lot of talk in dead money
    regading the divide and a battle between two couriers, the other courier is though by many to be Ulysses who featured on the cards and comic in the special ed but was cut from the game entirely before release. He was supposed to be a companion like boon and ed-e etc.

I'll spoiler this again even though it was from the main game
    there was a lot of talk in the ceaser camp about "the burned man"
    I was really expecting this to make it into a dlc and there was actually some hints to this in the pc version where folks found graffiti textures not in the main game with stuff like the
    burned man walks , and where is new canaan anyway?

Edit: I knew I'd find it after posting, a lot of details here and spoilers http://www.ripten.com/2010/12/28/fallout-new-vegas-dlc-details-teased-in-dead-money/

• Advertisement

sierra117x wrote: »
    Well the hint for dead money was in game grafitti about sierra madre that's found in the folder in the console . When dead money was released this information was confirmed . Also in the folder was grafitti for other dlc so strong hint for 4 or 5 more

From wiki

Downloadable content
    According to sources at Bethesda, four more DLC packs are in production, with further two in consideration; a total of eight DLCs are planned for New Vegas.[32] The names of three DLC's have been found in the ingame text files, however they may be changed before release. They are "Honest Hearts", "Lonesome Road", and "Old World Blues".[citation needed]

From wiki

Downloadable content
    According to sources at Bethesda, four more DLC packs are in production, with further two in consideration; a total of eight DLCs are planned for New Vegas.[32] The names of three DLC's have been found in the ingame text files, however they may be changed before release. They are "Honest Hearts", "Lonesome Road", and "Old World Blues".[citation needed]

We all should have waited for a game of the year edition but how many of us would have actually held out :D

calex71 wrote: »
    We all should have waited for a game of the year edition but how many of us would have actually held out :D

Certainly not me anyway :),although it most definitely would have been cheaper,damn you bethesda :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Hey guys, did anyone have problems with loosing saved games files on the pc? :mad:

nuxxx wrote: »
    Hey guys, did anyone have problems with loosing saved games files on the pc? :mad:

No thankfully,how many did you lose?

No thankfully,how many did you lose?

around 60 i suppose, lol

around 60 i suppose, lol

If you mean they were just deleted, why not back up your save folder every time you play? So long as you don't remove the saves and just copy them, it should be fine.

Quick note about the DLC and a GOTY edition. Depending on how quick they come out, we might not have them sooner than the next two years and even then, a GOTY edition would take about six months at least after all the DLCs are out, I reckon.

TBH, modders could technically make the DLC themselves, just edit some of the missions/stories so it's not a carbon copy and you'll probably have either voice acting that's really shabby or none at all since if you copied the files from the DLC it would be illegal I think.

And a third thing about it, according to the makers the DLC won't be a continuation of the main story so we'll see just how much play time we get from the DLC.

If you mean they were just deleted, why not back up your save folder every time you play? So long as you don't remove the saves and just copy them, it should be fine.

Will be doing it from now on, never had a problem with fa3 though, or any other pc game for that matter. Ah well

Will be doing it from now on, never had a problem with fa3 though, or any other pc game for that matter. Ah well

If the files themselves were gone then I doubt it was the game's fault.

Try a scan?

• Advertisement

Its happened to lots of people, it is the games fault

Advertisement