Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout: New Vegas

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,433 ✭✭✭✭noodler

How much is the NV DLC on PSN?

Will have to decide between that and the GOTY when it comes out.

Loved New Vegas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,874 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The 4 main DLC's are 9.99 each on PSN with the couriers stash and gun runners dlc's (guns and armour) being 1.99 each.

GOTY is coming out 24th feb and is 34 euro on play so cheaper buying that then all the dlc's seperately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Just got this today in hmv new for a tenner. Loved fallout 3 other games coming out spouted me getting this. Bored of skyrim so couldnt pass this up for 10 euro.
    Anyway, any starting tips for character build?
    If you have it on PC then consider installing some mods. If you have a beefy graphics card there's texture packs that make it really look well. I recently had a 2nd playthrough with all the DLC's and some mods, Old World Blues is brilliant, the others not as much. New vegas bounties is a nice mod with extra content. A World of Pain is another adding huge areas of really tough enemies, unbalances the game a bit with overpowered weapons and loads of money though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,874 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ah got it for PS3 so no mods for me I'm afraid. Ya, I heard Old World Blues is the best DLC alright, plenty to keep me going for the time being anyway. Much prefer the Fallout world to the Elder Scrolls world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Lafortezza wrote: »
    If you have it on PC then consider installing some mods. If you have a beefy graphics card there's texture packs that make it really look well. I recently had a 2nd playthrough with all the DLC's and some mods, Old World Blues is brilliant, the others not as much. New vegas bounties is a nice mod with extra content. A World of Pain is another adding huge areas of really tough enemies, unbalances the game a bit with overpowered weapons and loads of money though.

some of the mods are fantastic. for fo3 i remember installing some "true darkness at nighttime" mod, and then a streetlight mod. basically had light coming from all the streetlights and such around the wasteland. where there were no streetlights it forced you to use the flashlight, you couldn't see a damn thing otherwise and where there were streetlights it just looked amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

sheehy83 wrote: »
    The 4 main DLC's are 9.99 each on PSN with the couriers stash and gun runners dlc's (guns and armour) being 1.99 each.

GOTY is coming out 24th feb and is 34 euro on play so cheaper buying that then all the dlc's seperately.
    None of the DLCs are worth €9.99 so I'd wait for the GOTY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Trying to play through the GOTY Edition at them moment on the 360 but it's so damn buggy. Big bugs too - the kind that kill the game for you. I'm stuck in the Ultra Luxe unable to complete quests because the game crashes when you go through certain doors. It's pretty poor the Obsidian haven't been able to patch crap like this out by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Trying to play through the GOTY Edition at them moment on the 360 but it's so damn buggy. Big bugs too - the kind that kill the game for you. I'm stuck in the Ultra Luxe unable to complete quests because the game crashes when you go through certain doors. It's pretty poor the Obsidian haven't been able to patch crap like this out by now.

thats weird, i heard it was buggy at launch but i played it on PC back last summer and it was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

Blame Bethesda, not Obsidian. Or both, Obsidian were forced by contract to finish that game in 1.5 years. Bethesda take there sweet time with there own games. Kotor 2 is also the fault of Lucasarts, who wanted it out by christmas. Obsidian are unlucky devs...The also lost 30 people because New vegas has 84 on Metacritic instead of 85.

Also Spunge, I think it comes down to optimization with the 360./ I played it on 360 too, alot of the bugs I got were technical crapouts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

How long into the game are you 40 - 60 hours? I had some issues in the bath house there.

But that was pre-patch, it's a good idea to keep at least 5 saves on the go with this and any Fallout / Bethesda games. Also where fallout is concerned is very good housekeeping to clear the cache every time you start. LB+RB+X held down from after you press A to launch the game from the dash until you get the press start screen ........ I think that's what was at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I finished the main story line at the weekend, game is too buggy for me to go back to. Regularly locks the xbox, regularly get stuck inside mountains etc.

calex71 wrote: »
    How long into the game are you 40 - 60 hours? I had some issues in the bath house there.

But that was pre-patch, it's a good idea to keep at least 5 saves on the go with this and any Fallout / Bethesda games. Also where fallout is concerned is very good housekeeping to clear the cache every time you start. LB+RB+X held down from after you press A to launch the game from the dash until you get the press start screen ........ I think that's what was at least.

35 hours into it now. The bath-house was fine, it was the kitchen I had problems with - everytime I went to go into it, the screen would turn black, locking up the Xbox. I tried clearing the games cache, the console's cache and installing the game.
    It meant I couldn't complete the White Glove quest-line at all.

Outside of the Ultra-Luxe, which does seem to be problematic, it's locked up the console a couple of times and I had an earlier issue where it wouldn't load any game saves at all - just constantly stuck on the loading screen. I got around that in the end by starting a new game, loading a previous save from there and then deleting the autosave.

I think it says a lot about the quality of the game itself that despite all the bugs and crashes, I'm still totally hooked. Just disappointing that these issues are still there on their Game of the Year Edition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

this thread reminds me I need to go back and finish this game.

I'm worried it will feel a little stale after the gameplay improvements added into Skyrim.

I think that despite sharing an engine, they both feel so different that it doesn't really matter. Oddly enough the only thing I miss from Skyrim is the mountain hopping - being able to get to places and take short-cuts that you probably shouldn't by constantly bunny hopping up a mountain. There's invisible ceilings in Fallout that you just can't pass.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

roll on fallout 4 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Browning2010

Well lads I'm thinking about starting the Fallout series of games.

How many games has there been in this series?

Which game should I start on, I'll be playing on 360.

Anyone care to give me a quick low down on the story without giving too much away?

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Polar101

Anyone care to give me a quick low down on the story without giving too much away?

Cheers.

Three Fallout games, plus a few others such as Fallout Tactics and Brotherhood of Steel. On the 360 your options are Fallout 3 and New Vegas. I'd definitely start with the GOTY edition of Fallout 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Cheers.
    Fallout 3, imo is much superior to New Vegas. plus the DLC is much better value too.

There's been three core games. Two of which were made by Black Isle and the other was made by Bethesda. It is very similar to TES4: Oblivion (similar engines, mainly) if you are familiar with that game, but post-apocalyptic in setting. I've never played the original two Fallout games but they are point and click RPGs. Fallout 3 is a third/first person RPG. There has also been a lot of spin-offs, like Fallout Tactics and New Vegas.

The story is that the world has been nuked. Its essentially post-apocalyptic. Basically Fallout 3 is set 200 years after the nukes fell. There's a lot of factions vying for control of water and strategic towns (such as the Enclave, the fascistic remnants of the US government, or the Super Mutants, who are big yellowish guys with nailboards, or the Brotherhood of Steel, who are technology hoarders). Your character in the game has escaped from a radiation proof vault and is coming out into the Washington (or Capital) wasteland to find his dad.

Thing is, the main story isn't really essential here. Its more about the morality, sidequests and distractions. Before you buy and play the game however, I would extremely recommend you buy Broken Steel first(800 Microsoft Points), a DLC which (I'm being vague so as to avoid spoilers) adds a hell of a lot (people who have played FO3 will know what I mean ;)) and is more or less essential in my experience. The other DLC is very good also, although you could do without Mothership Zeta and Operation Anchorage (they ain't that great, but if you like the sound of them, by all means, get them). But Broken Steel is the only one which expands the main quest- the others are really just sidequests. Altogether they add about thirty hours I think, plus lots of equipment.

Also, note that Fallout 3 was the first major Fallout game on consoles, as 1 and 2 were only on PC (and are completely different) plus there's no real need to go and play the other two games if you are buying FO3, as the story between them is not continuous, but if you want to understand some of the many references and throwbacks, you should get the original two. I understand that they're pretty cheap and not at all system-intensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    Fallout 3, imo is much superior to New Vegas. plus the DLC is much better value too.

There's been three core games. Two of which were made by Black Isle and the other was made by Bethesda. It is very similar to TES4: Oblivion (similar engines, mainly) if you are familiar with that game, but post-apocalyptic in setting. I've never played the original two Fallout games but they are point and click RPGs. Fallout 3 is a third/first person RPG. There has also been a lot of spin-offs, like Fallout Tactics and New Vegas.

The story is that the world has been nuked. Its essentially post-apocalyptic. Basically Fallout 3 is set 200 years after the nukes fell. There's a lot of factions vying for control of water and strategic towns (such as the Enclave, the fascistic remnants of the US government, or the Super Mutants, who are big yellowish guys with nailboards, or the Brotherhood of Steel, who are technology hoarders). Your character in the game has escaped from a radiation proof vault and is coming out into the Washington (or Capital) wasteland to find his dad.

Thing is, the main story isn't really essential here. Its more about the morality, sidequests and distractions. Before you buy and play the game however, I would extremely recommend you buy Broken Steel first(800 Microsoft Points), a DLC which (I'm being vague so as to avoid spoilers) adds a hell of a lot (people who have played FO3 will know what I mean ;)) and is more or less essential in my experience. The other DLC is very good also, although you could do without Mothership Zeta and Operation Anchorage (they ain't that great, but if you like the sound of them, by all means, get them). But Broken Steel is the only one which expands the main quest- the others are really just sidequests. Altogether they add about thirty hours I think, plus lots of equipment.

Also, note that Fallout 3 was the first major Fallout game on consoles, as 1 and 2 were only on PC (and are completely different) plus there's no real need to go and play the other two games if you are buying FO3, as the story between them is not continuous, but if you want to understand some of the many references and throwbacks, you should get the original two. I understand that they're pretty cheap and not at all system-intensive.

Very true but they and all the current generation ones are total time sinks(not a bad thing btw) , if someone was a casual gamer like a few hours a night playing the numbered fallout games alone could give them what ???300-400 hours if they did everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

New Vegas is a better RPG than Bethesda games. Bethesda games are better for exploring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,433 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I preferred New Vegas as well.

More factions, more to do, less boring scenery etc etc.

That being said, I loved Fallout 3 too so I would definitely play F3 first if you are definitely going to play them both.

Finished the main questline today, after another half-dozen or so hard crashes. The main questline of Fallout 3 was much better and much more satisfying (I played it after the patch that changes the ending) but the side quests and faction stuff of New Vegas was much more fun. Plus I missed Liam Nesson.

Got all the DLC and a crap load of side quests still to work through now, and I suppose it speaks well of the game that I still want to do so after finishing the main storyline.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭promethius42

I dunno I liked the overall preparing for war aspect, and I really liked the legion I thought it was very well pulled off. Overall liked it much better than fallout 3.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Am I right that you can't continue after the game ends? I have all the DLC to play so I need to load up a save before the end?

mewso wrote: »
    Am I right that you can't continue after the game ends? I have all the DLC to play so I need to load up a save before the end?

Yep. Obsidian felt that the ending should be major enough to mean the player couldn't continue.

You are given a warning to indicate you are about to reach this point to allow you to go elsewhere and come back to it.

On the Fallout 3 vs New Vegas topic I found New Vegas to be the superior game. I can't quite put my finger on why but one aspect was the open world in NV. Fallout 3 seemed to funnel the player into narrow zones with more loading screens, subway stations etc. NV felt less restricted, the exception being the strip itself. I actually stay away from the Strip for this reason. I think I read somewhere that the developers had the intention keeping the Strip open and free of loading screens but the console hardware restricted it. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭HereticPrincess

Just re-played my old version of Fallout 2, I usually do every now and again because it's my favorite of any game as well as the Fallout series.

It's crazy because I used to think it was so buggy when I was playing, but compared to New Vegas now it's nothing. Played the full game over 2 days and it was so enjoyable, whereas I can't play NV without several issues. I wish Bethesda would just make sure games are going to work before releasing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I wish Bethesda would just make sure games are going to work before releasing them.

Why would they bother? People still buy them on Day 1

Just re-played my old version of Fallout 2, I usually do every now and again because it's my favorite of any game as well as the Fallout series.

It's crazy because I used to think it was so buggy when I was playing, but compared to New Vegas now it's nothing. Played the full game over 2 days and it was so enjoyable, whereas I can't play NV without several issues. I wish Bethesda would just make sure games are going to work before releasing them.

I tried hard with Fallout 2 but couldn't get around the clunky zig-zag movements of the character. The game feels OLD now. Baldurs Gate/Icewind Dale have aged much better IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I prefer new vegas , Bethesda has lost alot of cred with me the last few years over.

1. I dont think skyrim is as good as oblvion the dragons just get annoying, its just not as enjoyable in my opinion.

2. Over shafting obsidion for the bonus for new vegas, leading them to have to axe employees even though they did a great job with new vegas.

New vegas to me just felt more real, felt more like this could happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

quarryman wrote: »
    Yep. Obsidian felt that the ending should be major enough to mean the player couldn't continue.

You are given a warning to indicate you are about to reach this point to allow you to go elsewhere and come back to it.

On the Fallout 3 vs New Vegas topic I found New Vegas to be the superior game. I can't quite put my finger on why but one aspect was the open world in NV. Fallout 3 seemed to funnel the player into narrow zones with more loading screens, subway stations etc. NV felt less restricted, the exception being the strip itself. I actually stay away from the Strip for this reason. I think I read somewhere that the developers had the intention keeping the Strip open and free of loading screens but the console hardware restricted it. Pity.
    There's even a couple of PC mods that remove the loading from the strip as long as your PC isn't completely shít. Personally I'm very torn between the two. The subways in FO3 really annoyed me and NV brought in some much-needed gameplay tweaks like proper iron sights but overall I think 3 just about edges it. Really, really looking forward to 4/whatever. Not online though.

Advertisement