Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Book Shops in Cork

Options
  • 19-08-2010 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

As an exiled Galway native, one of the (many) things I miss about Galway is browsing around Charlie Byrne's bookshop. Does anyone know if there is an equivalent in Cork city? For anyone who doesn't know what Charlie Byrne's is and can't or won't click on the link, it's basically a big bookshop selling a wide selection of new and second hand books.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Liam Ruiseal Teo on Oliver Plunkett Street sells a lot of local and Irish history and interest books, as well as fiction and children's books. There's no second hand books as such, but upstairs is a large sale section so it may as well be second hand a lot of the time. They'll also happily order in books for you.

It's crazy busy at the moment with school books, but there's an extra till at the other side of the shop where you can pay for books and basically anything that's not a school book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Vibes and Scribes is a big bookshop that sells new and old books. I haven't been in it in a few years but it was my favourite bookshop when I was in college in Cork. Must pop back in there next time I'm home. Sounds like it might be what you're looking for if it hasn't changed much in the last few years.

http://www.vibesandscribes.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

That sounds good, thanks Faith and Clare Bear!

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭thecelt

When I used to live in cork, used to love Waterstones and Vibes and Scribes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

There's a small one next to Tesco on Paul St. A huge selection of books in there. I think it's called O' Connells.

Vibes and Scribes is worth going to though, great prices in there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

There's a small one next to Tesco on Paul St. A huge selection of books in there. I think it's called O' Connells.

I think that one is called Connolly's.

You could also try the Irish Cancer Society shop on Castle Street, there are lots of books in there. Also there is Mainly Murder on Paul Street as well, never been in there but I don't think they do second hand books & I think there name's a bit of a clue to what they sell so it may not be for you.
    Clare Bear wrote: »
    Vibes and Scribes is a big bookshop that sells new and old books. I haven't been in it in a few years but it was my favourite bookshop when I was in college in Cork. Must pop back in there next time I'm home. Sounds like it might be what you're looking for if it hasn't changed much in the last few years.

http://www.vibesandscribes.ie/

It hasn't really changed that much in there, most of the art books have been moved to their newer shop on Lavitts Quay. Bridge Street is still the one to go to for second hand books. They still have a few DVD's in the Bridge St store but it's mainly books now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

uneeda bookshop near An brog? worth a look;)

Advertisement