Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stolen Bike

• 19-08-2010 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Had my bike stolen from the top of grafton st in Dublin.
    Its a Gaint Rapid 3, only have it a couple of months.

Cheers

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

sorry to hear that doc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Also sorry to hear that.
    Cable lock?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭doc1976

Planet X wrote: »
    Also sorry to hear that.
    Cable lock?

Yeah cable lock alright. You sound like you've had the same done to you.

Yep. June gone, nice new Trek Valencia. Sliced through like the proverbial hot knife............

Learned a lesson.

Outside front entrance of St. Vincents Hospital / dedicated bike parking. Dedicated thief.

Yep. June gone, nice new Trek Valencia. Sliced through like the proverbial hot knife............

Learned a lesson.

Outside front entrance of St. Vincents Hospital / dedicated bike parking. Dedicated thief.

What lock have you bought since?

• Advertisement

Don't lock my bike anymore.

Borrowed my kids Specialized cable lock that afternoon. Replaced it, for him, with a Kryptonite. Daughter also has a Kryptonite New York.
    If my son's bike got nicked, a relatively new Islabike, he'd still be crying I reckon.

No faith in parking a bike anywhere. You're being watched.

Borrowed my kids Specialized cable lock that afternoon. Replaced it, for him, with a Kryptonite. Daughter also has a Kryptonite New York.
    If my son's bike got nicked, a relatively new Islabike, he'd still be crying I reckon.

Mine was locked with a Kryptonite, waste of money by the looks of it

Basically a cheese stick.

These guys are up for it. Easy to stake out a bike. Thought about it. Hurley...........just going to a match story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

doc1976 wrote: »

Kryptonite cable lock? With the orange ends? I know it doesn't bring your bike back, but they are really a back up lock to keep the wheels on the bike and used in conjunction with a regular U lock.

Will keep an eye out for it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Which one? (just so people can avoid it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

Sorry to hear that OP, will keep an eye out.

Just a heads up to others though - Cable locks are useless as primary locks, they can be cut easily with hand snips/pliers. Bike shops selling cable locks in Dublin should really push this info on people.

stop wrote: »

Just a heads up to others though - Cable locks are useless as primary locks, they can be cut easily with hand snips/pliers. Bike shops selling cable locks in Dublin should really push this info on people.

I have a U lock but its a pain in the ass to carry around. Maybe a bassball bat would work better.

Oh yeah and the guards could give a **** abt your bike being robbed, offered to look at cctv coz I could recognise my bike but ehhhhh no he's a pro (****)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

stop wrote: »

Sorry to hear about your bike OP.

Also pad locks and chains are pure useless, my dad lost the keys to the farm recently and I had to cut the locks with a saw, did 3 in about 10 mins. Shackle locks are the only lock, it was something my mum told me when I was in school. As for carrying them around, I just stick it down my pants at the back.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I see too many bikes in the city with cable locks that look like they could be snipped easily with a small cable cutter you'd buy for 20euro. I dont think people realize how little security a cable lock provides.

the 2 euro shops sell bicycle cable locks, I bought a laptop cable lock there and it broke on me when I got home!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Hey all

Its a bit off topic but what would be the best bike lock to get? My friend nearly had her bike stolen from outside her house but one of her flatmates heard the people trying to nick it so he chased them off. They had nearly cut through her lock so she has to get a new one but what would be the best.

What would be the name or best brand to get? Im no expert on bikes but i just want to pass on the comments to her.

Thanks for any advice.

Hope this aint thread spoiling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I know it doesn't bring your bike back, but they are really a back up lock to keep the wheels on the bike and used in conjunction with a regular U lock.

The above is true a good mid to high level security U lock and a similar standard of cable lock are the minimum requirement ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Hey all

Its a bit off topic but what would be the best bike lock to get? My friend nearly had her bike stolen from outside her house but one of her flatmates heard the people trying to nick it so he chased them off. They had nearly cut through her lock so she has to get a new one but what would be the best.

What would be the name or best brand to get? Im no expert on bikes but i just want to pass on the comments to her.

Thanks for any advice.

http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Locks_%26_Security

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I think it's going too far to say you can't park anywhere. Two good locks used judiciously and you should be fine.

I use two Kryptonites: a Fahgettaboudit and a Kryptolok backed up with a Kryptoflex. No problems at all so far, one year in.

I used to use three cheaper locks, two u-locks and a cable lock, but that was when my bike was worth a few hundred euro, rather than a thousand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Here's another list of locks. Good locks are pricey, but I think it's worth it to know your bike will be there when you return:
    http://www.lfgss.com/thread17938.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

As a prank on our last day of school we locked he front gates of our school with a Kryptonite "D" lock, took the firebrigade nearly 30 minutes to angle grind through it, although it was quite high and at a bit of an awkward angle. Pesky kids :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Hey Guys,

I had my bike stolen (Giant Rapid 3, red/black and white) last thursday evening between 5.15 and 6 outside permanent tsb (stephens green/top of grafton street).

I reported this to a passing Guard but after a number of phone calls to stations and to gaurda stations I have come up against a brick wall.
    Firstly he hasn't logged the theft on their Pulse System and secondly the cops seem pretty hesitant about letting me look at some cctv.

Does anyone know who was be the best person to ask for in any station to get to look at the cctv as I don't think they would have an idea for what to look for on their own.

I used the bike to commute to work and have only payed off one installament on the bike to work scheme so this is gonna cost me for a full year.

DOC

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Two threads merged as they are both on the exact same issue.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Hey all

Thanks for any advice.

I have a motorbike which isn't insured against theft, so it was in my interest to get the best lock I could! Every year or so motorbike magazines do tests on locks to see what are easiest to get through. The almax lock always wins!
    http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/
    You can't cut it with a bolt cutters. You can cut any lock you can buy in Dublin bicycle shops with a bolt cutters. The scumbags sometimes put a lenght of pipe on the handles to give more leverage.
    Thing is about the almax is it's far to heavy to be transported around town on a bicycle. Like all heavy chains it's only useful if you park in the same place all the time and you can leave it there. I have secure bicycle parking at work, I leave the almax at home and lock it there every night. I got one for the bicycle (after one was stolen from my underground car park) and one for the motorbike.

But no lock can withstand a grinder. The average scumbag won't have a grinder, you need to be driving around in a van robbing bikes to use one of these. I heard a group were driving around dublin with a jaws of life about 10 years ago! Nothing can withstand them either!

But the tool of choice for a scumbag are a pole (put inside the cable lock, twist till the lock brakes), the car jack (for u-locks) and the bolt cutters. If you can get a chain to withstand these, you're fairly safe.

Oh yeah, almax is a small company, if you get a few lads together and buy a few locks they throw in free postage, or a discount. That's what lads on biker.ie did, motorbike clubs usually do the same thing. They were cheaper than similar poor quality brandname locks when I was doing my research too.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I have a motorbike which isn't insured against theft, so it was in my interest to get the best lock I could! Every year or so motorbike magazines do tests on locks to see what are easiest to get through. The almax lock always wins!
    http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/
    You can't cut it with a bolt cutters. You can cut any lock you can buy in Dublin bicycle shops with a bolt cutters. The scumbags sometimes put a lenght of pipe on the handles to give more leverage.
    Thing is about the almax is it's far to heavy to be transported around town on a bicycle. Like all heavy chains it's only useful if you park in the same place all the time and you can leave it there. I have secure bicycle parking at work, I leave the almax at home and lock it there every night. I got one for the bicycle (after one was stolen from my underground car park) and one for the motorbike.

But no lock can withstand a grinder. The average scumbag won't have a grinder, you need to be driving around in a van robbing bikes to use one of these. I heard a group were driving around dublin with a jaws of life about 10 years ago! Nothing can withstand them either!

But the tool of choice for a scumbag are a pole (put inside the cable lock, twist till the lock brakes), the car jack (for u-locks) and the bolt cutters. If you can get a chain to withstand these, you're fairly safe.

Oh yeah, almax is a small company, if you get a few lads together and buy a few locks they throw in free postage, or a discount. That's what lads on biker.ie did, motorbike clubs usually do the same thing. They were cheaper than similar poor quality brandname locks when I was doing my research too.

Cheers for that. I'll definatley keep that lock in mind if I do decide to get a new bike. You'd wonder why so many cycle shops stock the cable lock because its clearly not worth a piece a s**t!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Cheers for that. I'll definatley keep that lock in mind if I do decide to get a new bike. You'd wonder why so many cycle shops stock the cable lock because its clearly not worth a piece a s**t!!!!

Well, cable locks are ok (just about) for securing the front wheel or saddle. Nothing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I had a cable lock. When I saw it on the ground in bits beside where my bike used to be, I wondered why I ever thought it would stop a thief! People get them becayse they're light so easy to carry around. Handy if you're nipping into a shop for 5 minutes. I got one too that I leave attached to the bike. But obviously got a better one than the heap of crap I got before!

Advertisement