Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tube/tubeless q's

• 19-08-2010 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Getting a set of s/h wheels from a friend, 3 year old mavic kysrium's, not sure which model/type, but they have tubeless tyres. First time i came across this on bikes. What's the advantages/disadvantages of tubeless? What happens with punctures? u need to carry round a spare tyre? more difficult to change/fix? Going from a set of fulcrum 7's, can i expect much difference?

Cheers,
    D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

I'm rolling a set of campag eurus tubless wheels at the moment ('girly wheels' to the haters)

The general gist of the 'advantage' is that

• the rolling resistance is supposed to be less - they feel fast but I cant say it as a fact fact but they feel different (kinda floaty)
    • the increased weight of the tyre is balanced by the lack of a tube so they're about the same as a top end tube/tyre combo weight wise.
    • They claim better grip as you can run them at lower pressures (10-15psi less than normal in my experience)
    • If you puncture the tyre wont roll off the rim - but the tyres are quite an effort to put on so it's gonna be a bit of a pita when you do get a puncture

The puncture remedy is the same as for a tube - patch it (there's special patch kits for the job). Cant say I ride around with a spare tyre, just a lot of hope that a puncture isn't on my way and the patch kit, and a CO2 pump - could be tricky to inflate with a small hand pump.

Straight away if you're stepping up from Ful.7s to a ksyrium wheelset (presumably the SLs) you'll feel a difference there for sure as a result of the lightness.

After that anything else you percieve is a bonus as honestly, if pushed to the pin of my collar, I couldn't say there is any major advantage over a combination of lighweight tyres (Pro3 lights, Gp4000, Ultremos) and light tubes in terms of performance.

That said I'll continue to run tubeless on this particular wheelset, if it's not broken don't fix it eh!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dexty

so is it to do with the rims too? can u put a tube and tyre onto a rim that previously had a tubeless? gonna do the SK 160, dont fancy gettin a puncture tho with tubeless!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

If your not racing in competition you dont need tubeless, nothing wrong with having them as a want aswell though.

Kinda to do with the rims too - the rims need to have no internal drilling for spokes i.e. the spokes don't go through the rim but screw into it, for tubeless to work.

True tubeless rims then have a slighly deeper lip for the tyre to hook onto but Ksyrium SLs, while not strictly made for tubless can do so if you get the right type of valves to screw into the rim (considering this mod myslef when I next change my tyres).

The tyres are where it's really at - the bead will not stretch and seals against the rim under inflation so doing the job of the tube and tyre at the same time.

I wouldn't have much concer about punctures TBH, I've ridden my tyres all season over all sorts of road and zero problems and zero indication of problems down the line. Invest in a patching kit (CRC have them) and a CO2 inflator just in case but I wouldn't feel the need to do anything else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

Ksyrium wheels are NOT tubeless. They will NOT seal. There are no valves to fit either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

I'm reckoning those Mavics you got have probably got the Stans no tube kit on them so they can run tubeless. TBH the weight of that conversion kit ( tape plus sealant ) outweighs any possible benefits of running tubeless.

I ran tubeless on Campag Shamals which are designed for tubeless & clinchers, so no tape and gloop required. Like Che, I thought they were fine, did the job, I put nearly 3K on them with absolutely no problems, they still look like new despite being over really crap roads, never had a puncture either, but didn't fancy getting those friggin tyres off at the roadside.

For punctures you can carry a can of Vittoria Pittstop and inject that in through the valve, will give you about 90 PSI ( plenty for tubeless ) and hopefully will seal the puncture ( dont forget to rotate the wheel to spread the sealant around ).

If that doesn't work, you can take the tyre off and either patch it or stick a tube in like a normal clincher until you get home.

TBH I dont think they are all they're cracked up to be, they feel a bit dead, rolling resistance is the same I reckon, some tests show it is actually higher.

I decided to try some 340tpi Veloflex Corsa 22s with Latex tubes just for a change and I waaaaaay prefer them to the tubeless, much more comfort but with great road feedback, phenomenal grip, and the bike feels really planted, handles much better IMO.

Tubeless are gonna be the future I reckon, we just need some other tyre manufacturers to bring out their versions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

As posted above, I believe you have "tubeless", not "tubular, although Ksyrium do make tubular Ksyriums as well, but they are rare. The benefit is less pinch flats, a lot of guys use that system for cross racing. When you flat, you can just install a regular tube. As stated above, there is significant weight added with the gel, but I believe that ksyriums do not require rim tape because the rims are sealed.

I personally am not a fan of them, but to each their own. However I love my ksyriums, I have two sets and used them for training in the USA, but over here they will be my training and racing wheels because of the condition of the roads.

Ksyrium wheels are NOT tubeless. They will NOT seal. There are no valves to fit either.

Ahem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

http://theinquisition.eu/wordpress/2010/06/road-tubeless/

You can also convert a standard wheel by making a homemade rim liner. I'm not sure what you mean by not being able to make an air tight seal SM, that's what tire sealant is for, no? Personally I wouldn't do it, a burst tire would make an awful mess on my bike.

Clinchers for training, tubs for racing, that's how I plan to roll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    http://theinquisition.eu/wordpress/2010/06/road-tubeless/

You can also convert a standard wheel by making a homemade rim liner. I'm not sure what you mean by not being able to make an air tight seal SM, that's what tire sealant is for, no? Personally I wouldn't do it, a burst tire would make an awful mess on my bike.

Clinchers for training, tubs for racing, that's how I plan to roll.

There is a specific rim strip available to convert any wheel to tubeless, Ksyriums are easier though.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/TU402Z04-Stans+No+Tubes+Rim+Strip.aspx?sc=FRGL

• Advertisement
Advertisement