Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holles St - No early scans??

Options
  • 19-08-2010 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭

My friend is 7 weeks pregnant. She had a miscarriage in the past so her doctor requested an early reassurance scan. She hadn't heard anything from Holles st so she rang them and was told that they're not doing early reassurance scans at the minute as they're too busy and short staffed and if she wanted one she'd have to go private!!

Has anyone else heard the likes of this?

Her GP is sending another letter to try and get an early scan for her.

It was busy when I worked there but they were still managing early scans. Must be some helluva baby boom going on!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I went for my 20 week scan there few weeks ago and they were out the door. Was waiting two and a half hours. Have heard of longer waits. She should get the early scan though if it's at a doctors request? The Coombe and Rotunda do 12 week scans as well as the 20 week ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

I had my son last year in holles street and I didn't have my scan until 24 weeks. GP letter didn't work they said they were too busy.
    Loads of places do private scans now in Dublin

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

When I was waiting to have bloods done a nurse answered the phone and i heard her advising someone to ring the section that does them and book one for that week.
    So they must still be doing them.

Dearbhail was born January 09,baba 2 due Jan 11 and I have noticed a huge diffeence in care and appointments since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Dearbhail was born January 09,baba 2 due Jan 11 and I have noticed a huge diffeence in care and appointments since then.

What kind of difference? Number of visits, length of visits? Quality of care?

I'm registered with the Domino scheme, which seems really good so far, but again I don't get a scan (unless I do one privately, which I will) until about 20 weeks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

This is in sp btw

1st visit was way later this time although I booked earlier.
    More visits last time.
    Queues are way bigger
    Only had one visit so far so can't really comment on quality of care,consultant i have is very good but he was getting through people very quickly.
    From what I hear it is the same in the 3 Dublin hospitals though.

I would love to be in a Domino area:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Moonbeam wrote: »

I would love to be in a Domino area:)

Yeah, it's really good. One of the first things she asked me at my 12-week visit was whether I'd like a home birth. I wouldn't, but it's nice to be given the option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Plenty of private scans available for €100 to €150.

That's about how much you will spend on nappies, wipes, and formula in your first month or so.

They are prioritising critical scans; multiples, abnormal bloods or hormones, or mothers with symptoms.

It's cold comfort, but a reassurance scan is of little or no medical benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

She also has other issues - irregular periods and very little idea of exactly how pregnant she actually is. An early scan has been requested by her gp as both a reassurance and an early dating scan.

Early dating scans are important for the simple fact that the longer it is left, the less accurate her calculated due date will be. This in turn could lead to unnecessary induction if she goes overdue, or worse still, not being induced if she goes over 42 weeks. Placental function starts to decrease after 42 weeks and the baby may be compromised.

It seems really unfair that her GP requested a scan and only for her ringing up to find out what was happening, the request would just have been ignored. Are they allowed to just ignore GP requests?? The least the hospital should be doing is sending out letters or somehow making all GP's aware that early scans are not being done at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

Ill be attending Holles St shortly. When I booked my appts I begged for an early scan as Im up the wall with nerves as I had an mc in May. My doctor also insisted on it and said he'd what he could. Couldnt help me out, but I have two booked with them -16 weeks for mini scan and 20 weeks for big scan. Ive booked an early one privately for this week coming. Ill be 10 weeks..... apparently the hospital are chockers with the baby boom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

AFAIK - Coombe are still doing 12 week scans... maybe she could get her GP to refer her there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Her GP sent another letter and she now has been given a scan for a few weeks time. I guess her other issues count for something!

I still think its terrible that they are just ignoring GP requests!

Advertisement