Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV repairs Salthill?

Options
  • 19-08-2010 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

The TV just died on me. :( No vitals at all. Just like that, from one use to the next. It is about 6 years old.

My question is, is there anywhere else closer to Salthill to bring it except the O'Connor's on Mulvoy Road? I can already visualise myself getting it to a taxi... which I will have to do, apparently. Thank heavens it is not all that big.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

geekychick wrote: »
    The TV just died on me. :( No vitals at all. Just like that, from one use to the next. It is about 6 years old.

My question is, is there anywhere else closer to Salthill to bring it except the O'Connor's on Mulvoy Road? I can already visualise myself getting it to a taxi... which I will have to do, apparently. Thank heavens it is not all that big.

O'Connor's pick up and return subject to a deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

ErnieBert wrote: »
    O'Connor's pick up and return subject to a deposit.

Good news. :) Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Before you call in the professionals... Have you checked the fuse in the plug?

OpenBake wrote: »
    Before you call in the professionals... Have you checked the fuse in the plug?

Yes, the fuse was replaced with a new one earlier today. Still no joy. But thanx anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Any power to it at all? Trace the power on the PCB and see how far it goes?

Remember a few years ago, my Widescreen died. Some place in Galway quoted 100euro. Did a little googling and managed to fix it myself with a 30cent resistor/capacitor (Was a while ago, can't remember which), a soldering iron and a solid hand (Granted its not as you described, mine turned on for a little while and then died)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Hate to tell you but a six year old tv probably aint worth repairing, if parts are available still gonna cost a tonne+ and how long more does it last , probably best off looking at a new one if ya cant repair yourself

Eh, now you tell me... O'Connor's are already working their magic on it... I will do an update! :D

I'd hope out of fairness o Connors would advise if its worth a repair beforehand

Got a call from O'Connor's today, and went and got the tv - it's back to full functioning order. :)

They charged me €30 on Friday (Inspection Fee), and a further €26.76 today (the repair itself?).

Engineer's Report says following: "faulty power supply, power supply kit fitted, complete electrical adjustment and alignment, soaktested unit and tested fully" (if anyone's interested to know! :D).

Their warranty is for 3 months from now.

Also, they do collections and deliveries on Wednesdays only.

Thank you everyone for your replies. This was something that I couldn't have possibly tackled myself, useless with electrics etc.

geekychick wrote: »
    Got a call from O'Connor's today, and went and got the tv - it's back to full functioning order. :)

They charged me €30 on Friday (Inspection Fee), and a further €26.76 today (the repair itself?).

Engineer's Report says following: "faulty power supply, power supply kit fitted, complete electrical adjustment and alignment, soaktested unit and tested fully" (if anyone's interested to know! :D).

Their warranty is for 3 months from now.

Also, they do collections and deliveries on Wednesdays only.

Thank you everyone for your replies. This was something that I couldn't have possibly tackled myself, useless with electrics etc.

Sounds like a very reasonable rate and great value , especially with the collection included, just out of interest what size/type of TV is it, 21", 28"???

• Advertisement

It is Playsonic PSEX14S, 14''.

I agree about it being good value for a repair, I was dreading the bill but it turned out not too bad!

O Connors probably couldnt have repaired that any cheaper and I'd imagine any engineer would have added €50 to the cost if the TV was worth more , but reality is to replace that TV with a New one would be €80 approx, so therefore €56.76 is not really a good investment on a 6 year old TV in my opinion.
    However is this the repairs shops job to advise this , probably not unless they did'nt need the work but should it have been mentioned.

I see what you're saying, however I think the issue of how good an investment this is, will ultimately depend on the "longevity" of the tv from here on in. I am an optimist! :)

and I hope you get your moneys worth too

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rjoc

Hi GeekyChick,

Ronan from O'Connors here, spotted this conversation about the repair - i hope no-one minds if I make a comment,

its a fair point about the value of spending money on repairs and it usually comes down to the products itself, some brands & models are worth repair and some are not, when you see enough of them like we do you get to know what will last the distance and what will not,

the price of replacement parts is a big factor also and this is mainly determined by the manufacturer,

the playsonic brand is/was part of the turkish company beko who are a huge company and we have found their products quite good technically - there were a lot of these products sold over the years here.

our aim is to repair for no more than 40% of the replacement price and in your case a replacement is around €150 for a 14"/15" LCD- the major brands dont make CRT(tube) tvs like yours any longer,

one thing we are passionate about is trying to repair as much as possible because there is too much good stuff dumped which is wasteful and environmentally disasterous, there is very little that cannot be fixed if you can get the parts at a reasonable price,

we are still able to fix 10/15 year old sony tvs and the picture quality on them would put a lot of cheap lcd brands to shame,

good luck with your playsonic - if you have any issues with it call and ask for me,

Enjoy the weekend,;)

Ronan

Hi Ronan,

I did say the cost of the repair was very good considering , however to replace that TV would be about €80-100 as the likes of Argos and Tesco often have 14" CRTs (maybe not playsonic but another cheap brand), but I do agree with you 100% that by far too many good items get dumped and you can repair almost anything but at what cost vs replacement.

Hi Ronan,

thank you for your comments. As I have said, I am happy with the service and the price of repair at O'Connors', and if there are any issues never fear I will be in touch! ;):D

All the best!

Advertisement