Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking in school

Options
  • 19-08-2010 9:16pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,440 CMod ✭✭✭✭

My first time cooking in school was in 6th class in primary school. Our teacher had a cooker in the classroom and we made a few dinners and stuff. I still remember having to be very precise with the temperature when we made marmalade. I don't know how much this experience influenced my interest in cooking, but it certainly didn't hurt it. This was around 15 years ago and I don't think there was a ridiculous amount of cookery programmes on TV as there are now. I didn't take Home Ec in school, but we were allowed to try in in TY. Did anyone else learn some cooking in primary school, does it happen now?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I learned cooking in 6th class alright, but that was, what? 11 years ago now. Home Ec was optional in our school so I didn't take it because I wanted to take business or something that clashed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The only thing I ever made in primary school was rice krispie cakes. I remember it well because I had just filled my last case, which was more chocolatey than the rest because there were less rice krispies left, and someone walked past my desk and knocked it over. :( Other than that I never cooked anything in primary. I did Home Ec throughout secondary though. I'm not sure if it happens now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Never did any cooking in either primary or secondary school - it wasn't available to us. I really only learnt to cook when I left home and wanted to eat the same kind of home cooked food that I was reared on.
    I pretty quickly learned to do a roast chicken with roast spuds and gravy, how to make an Irish stew etc. It went on from there.

I was in a primary school a couple of years ago and they had a nutritionist come in once a week who did cooking with the kids. It should be mandatory in all schools. I wonder if it still goes on?

Advertisement