Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Next boards TT - Vote on type and date (Hint: The answer is a flat 10m TT)

• 19-08-2010 9:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭

Choose your pain 60 votes

Hill Climb
    0%
    10 mile
    28%
    DiarmuidRyanerryan_sherlockullubuffalosleepyhollandmanwithaplanpetethedrummercycoHermyzzzzzzzzAstraMontidaragh_pprendevilleLeroy42monkeyslayermarkcroninbsc 17 votes
    25 mile
    55%
    NietzscheanStokolanChips LovellBambaataRaamMr. SkeffingtonLumenFrankGrimesBlowfishkeano007OldPeculierPlanet Xmtbirelandniceonetomk_dguaposCaroline_iesnollupROK ONRobFowl 33 votes
    Downhill with no pedalling
    8%
    honkjellybilly.fishgoldenclericCrippens1CramCycle 5 votes
    Team TT
    8%
    AntDirkVoodooNisioabcdggsredmaxi 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

I vote for a flat TT on drop bar bikes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

25 mile
    Bohernabreena - Brittas
    Sally Gap to CofI Church at Manor Kilbride

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

10 mile
    ROK ON wrote: »
    Bohernabreena - Brittas
    Sally Gap to CofI Church at Manor Kilbride

Was talking to someone the other day and they mentioned an interesting prospect of a downhill TT with chains taken off the chainrings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

25 mile

I agree. It's time for a 'Big-boned' / 'It's all muscle' TT next time around.

That way I might have a chance of not placing last...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭neris

25 mile
    lugala up to sally gap. Proper little hill climb.

• Advertisement

10 mile
    neris wrote: »
    lugala up to sally gap. Proper little hill climb.

will put it on the list but it's a bit far to go for a midweek evening tt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

10 mile
    Luggala up to Sally Gap.....then turn right and head up to Kippure mast.

Even get the bonus of some cyclo-cross as you hope over/around the barrier!!!!

Think we may need calenders rather than stopwatches:D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

25 mile
    We have been talking, on and off, about a 10m flat TT for some time now. I think so far there have been at least 3 hill-climbs plus a 25mTT.

If we do go for a 10m, there are 3 main options for courses - the nearest to town is the old N2 out to Ashbourne and back, which is used by Dublin Wheelers and is expected to be the Swords course next year.

There is also one at Batterstown, and another at Moy Valley, Enfield that the vets use.

So my vote is that we should first have a poll on what the next type of challenge is - Hill TT, 10mTT or 25mTT if people really want to suffer!

In addition, I recall ROK ON was working on a team TT idea for around October time

10 mile
    Beasty wrote: »
    We have been talking, on and off, about a 10m flat TT for some time now. I think so far there have been at least 3 hill-climbs plus a 25mTT.

If we do go for a 10m, there are 3 main options for courses - the nearest to town is the old N2 out to Ashbourne and back, which is used by Dublin Wheelers and is expected to be the Swords course next year.

There is also one at Batterstown, and another at Moy Valley, Enfield that the vets use.

So my vote is that we should first have a poll on what the next type of challenge is - Hill TT, 10mTT or 25mTT if people really want to suffer!

In addition, I recall ROK ON was working on a team TT idea for around October time

Cool - I'll do that then

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

25 mile
    will put it on the list but it's a bit far to go for a midweek evening tt
    I suspect it's going to be too late in the year for an evening TT - the club Leagues are finishing now because of the lack of light. It probably needs to be done at a weekend, unless we wait until the October Bank Holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

25 mile
    Fancy Dress TT?

:)

10 mile
    I suspect it's going to be too late in the year for an evening TT - the club Leagues are finishing now because of the lack of light. It probably needs to be done at a weekend, unless we wait until the October Bank Holiday.

A hill climb would be grand for another few weeks I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭buzzingnoise

25 mile
    bring a drop bar bike if you want but my tt rig needs a beating!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭English Bob

Sunday morning?
    Missed the hill climb so would love to join in the next event.
    Downhill without chain is what Sean Kelly always talks about oneurosport. Maybe we could ask him to go first?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

10 mile
    I think ye should do a weekend one then ye can do a proper one while theres still a chance of nice weather

ye could do this 10k one and it'll keep everyone happy. its 10k almost flat on top of a mountain :D so you could call it a flat hill tt
    http://www.mapmyride.com/route/ie/baile%20baod%e1in/995128228871850928

or a nice course for a hil tt is this 10 miles one

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/ie/ballyboden/383128228914696763

not too steep and a couple of nice flatish sections to get a bit of a breather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

25 mile
    10 mile flat could be good but could we have some sort of handycaping in place? :D

25 mile
    stupid question but how does a team tt work?

another route for a flat course - blakes cross to the wavin factory in balbriggan. but i think theres lights at balrothery

10 mile

it only works for people with friends :D

25 mile
    snollup wrote: »
    10 mile flat could be good but could we have some sort of handycaping in place? :D
    Yep - yours can be that you have to carry the latest jersey order and deliver it to all participants at the end!

I like the idea of no aero gear, as that will level the playing field a bit. However without doing the TT first to establish relative abilities it would be difficult to come up with anything, unless we do it on an age basis ......;)

10 mile

another route for a flat course - blakes cross to the wavin factory in balbriggan. but i think theres lights at balrothery

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_time_trial

• Advertisement

25 mile
    stupid question but how does a team tt work?[/url]
    Thread here about it
    It's also quite busy at the roundabout just off the M1

There's an alternative involving going over the flyover at the 5 roads and back down to Blakes Cross on the old N1 - this was one of the options for the Swords 10m TT this year

However there are a lot of roadworks taking place on that stretch of road, and who knows whether it will be clear of them on any particular day

10 mile
    use the routes i suggested :P savagely quiet roads both have start and end points with nice areas to pull in off the road

25 mile
    use the routes i suggested :P savagely quiet roads both have start and end points with nice areas to pull in off the road

Based on the votes so far, it's either a hill climb, or a flat 10mTT

Hilly 10mTT is not one of the options!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

10 mile

Unless Boards.ie pay for us for a trip in France! Italy/Spain would do too.

I voted for a Hill TT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

25 mile
    Batterstown is a good 16km course. It has a few bends to make it interesting and introduce a small element of skill, although we could do with a couple of marshalls.

Out and backs are a bit dull.

10 mile
    didnt know there was a limit on the length of the hill :P

10 mile
    im bringin this http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/app/EditorImages/Bursford%20bike.JPG if we get a few more votes for a down hill

25 mile
    Lumen wrote: »
    Batterstown is a good 16km course. It has a few bends to make it interesting and introduce a small element of skill, although we could do with a couple of marshalls.

The complete circuit is 20km, which might be better, as it means you don't have to have different people at the start and finish. I did it once, and it is a bit technical - I don't think it's a particularly fast course. I think you would need 2 or 3 marshalls at least just to stop riders going off course, as there are a few junctions where people could get confused if unfamiliar with the course

There is an out and back option at Batterstown which is fast though, and would only have the roundabout to cover with a marshall or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

25 mile
    there are a few junctions where people could get confused if unfamiliar with the course

Exactly! It's a great course. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

10 mile
    My limited experience suggests I am relatively better going up a hill than on the flat. I think that's because when you have no ability, your only weapon is a large capacity for suffering.

I am happy to do whatever is decided but I like the look of Beasty's age-based handicapping proposal. ;)

25 mile
    AstraMonti wrote: »
    Unless Boards.ie pay for us for a trip in France! Italy/Spain would do too.

I've checked, but unfortunately all Boards.ie resources are now tied up in some hair-brained scheme to send a bunch of cyclists on a jolly around Ireland - there's nothing left in the kitty for a trip to the Alps or Pyrennes:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

25 mile
    Lumen wrote: »

been there, and done that course. I know you love it and do it all the time...but maybe something a bit faster and actually pancake flat? get the most out of your aero rig!

25 mile
    How about finding out when the next ucd tt is and we,ll all show up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

all of the above in a boards bonanza TT league?

+1 Fancy dress TT (No Lances allowed)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

25 mile
    Re: Beasty's age based handicap

It'd want to be a fine big handicap even for someone as old as me.

We did this a few years ago for some sprint triathalons with some of the guys I work with - the younger better guys still won but at least we elder lemons had them worried while they waited for us to finish.

Just to get my sandbag in early, I'd be well pleased with anything under 30 mins for a ten miler

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

im bringin this http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/app/EditorImages/Bursford%20bike.JPG if we get a few more votes for a down hill

I can't believe someone bought the same bike as me.
    My limited experience suggests I am relatively better going up a hill than on the flat. I think that's because when you have no ability, your only weapon is a large capacity for suffering.

I am happy to do whatever is decided but I like the look of Beasty's age-based handicapping proposal. ;)

So the more experience you have (ie the older you are) the more of a handicap you have?

I am all for it

25 mile
    CramCycle wrote: »

So the more experience you have (ie the older you are) the more of a handicap you have?
    Yes, age is a handicap - hence we need a "counter-handicap" to compensate

I note Mr Skeffington has now voted, and on that basis I reckon something like 5 mins if you are 40 and over this year, and 10 mins if you are 50 and over by 31 December to give the older riders a chance of a respectable finish

Just to avoid any suggestion this is in any way biased, I would ask another random boardsie what he thinks.

So, Planet X, would you agree this is fair?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I thought if you were older that meant you were better with your wealth of experience and should therefore get less time.

Sorry for the confusion.

25 mile
    CramCycle wrote: »
    I thought if you were older that meant you were better with your wealth of experience and should therefore get less time.

Sorry for the confusion.
    OK, so anyone who is both older and hasn't been cycling seriously for more than a couple of years or so, and hence has very limited cycling experience, should be given 15 minutes benefit. I can live with that:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

10 mile
    I'll gladly take a fifteen minute benefit, thanks Beasty!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

10 mile
    I did my first ever pathetic attempt for a 16kms all-out ride without any aero gear (not that I have any at the moment..) . I went to N11 after bray and did the 10miles in exactly 31mins and 27seconds. My avg speed was 30.9kms/h and my avg HR 179bpm, which means I could better, because when I finished I had enough energy to do another 40kms up the hills to return home. Seeing that people are doing 40kms TT in an hour I would say this is preeeeeetty bad. It was kinda painful fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

25 mile
    FWIW. There is a sttetch of dual carriageway close to dublin about 16km in length.
    It has an unused bus lane and great surface. Easier to marshall and no junctions or turns onto it.
    Slight ramp up to finish aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

25 mile
    So, what's the story? Are we doing this?...

25 mile
    Well 10mTT seems to be the popular choice, with next Tuesday (the 31st) the favoured date. I'm certainly up for it.

I would suggest the Battertown course - out and back, because we could probably get away with just a timer, provided everyone took care around the roundabout (although a marshall there would clearly be preferable)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

25 mile

I note Mr Skeffington has now voted, and on that basis I reckon something like 5 mins if you are 40 and over this year, and 10 mins if you are 50 and over by 31 December to give the older riders a chance of a respectable finish

Just to avoid any suggestion this is in any way biased, I would ask another random boardsie what he thinks.

So, Planet X, would you agree this is fair?

Yup! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭buzzingnoise

25 mile
    Well 10mTT seems to be the popular choice, with next Tuesday (the 31st) the favoured date. I'm certainly up for it.

I would suggest the Battertown course - out and back, because we could probably get away with just a timer, provided everyone took care around the roundabout (although a marshall there would clearly be preferable)

How about a seeded system based on Age and Weight??
    Age in years + Weight in pounds.
    Highest total gets biggest advantage/smallest handicap....

25 mile
    How about a seeded system based on Age and Weight??
    Age in years + Weight in pounds.
    Highest total gets biggest advantage/smallest handicap....
    I suppose I could live with that one:D

25 mile
    So, is there any more interest in doing this tomorrow night? If not, we could postpone it until next week, but after that I suspect the nights will be closing in, and we may need to do it at a weekend, or leave it until next year.

10 mile
    I vote for next week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

10 mile
    Might be able to make tomorrow but definitely won't be around the following 2 Tuesdays. Days getting really short now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement