Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going Aero, what is the best plan?

• 19-08-2010 9:43pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Was thinking of deep section Zipp's, TT frame, Skin suit, aero bars and maybe power meters.......

Then remembered one of the fastest TT's of all time :D

(please forgive the Jimmy Magee)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

dont let bike shops see that, you'll put them out of buisness ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

That's pain and determination just there. Wiggle and CSC are sold out but I think it's about €5000 a gramme!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

"It's a long way to Tipperary but it's a lot quicker with Kelly in the saddle."

Love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭billy.fish

In order:

Cycle more - Increased cycle economy, increased W.kg-1
    Drop personal weight - 3kg = 25seconds over 40km , reduced frontal area(FA)
    Correct fit on bike - ralative to...
    Aero bars - worth more time than anything, 36% reduction in PO for given speed
    Aero helmet - shape depends on bike fit, body, and TT
    Power Meter - TT pacing, training, calculation of Crr, Cda, FA, lots of other stuff
    Re-correction of bike position - Reduce FA further, relative to course
    Physiological testing - work out W.FA-1, metabolic cost of position
    Adapt position again
    Aero front wheel - deep as you can handle (oohh er missus)
    Aero rear wheel - tri spoke or disc, depends on course
    other faff
    Dimples

I could rant on but i wont. I have papers documenting proper costs somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

billy.fish wrote: »

...being Sean Kelly: priceless.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Dimples

I've got one of them. Does it really make me go faster? Fantastic!!:D

Dimples
    Beasty wrote: »
    I've got one of them. Does it really make me go faster? Fantastic!!:D

Do goosebumps work? I could tape a pic of Kate Winslet to my stem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

you need to train like this fella http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_urSQl6wUA5g/R5_d7web9vI/AAAAAAAAA-k/poi2tC-4QF0/s400/funny_bike.jpg

then the day of the race take off all that stuff and you'll be flyin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

In order:

Cycle more - Increased cycle economy, increased W.kg-1
    Drop personal weight - 3kg = 25seconds over 40km , reduced frontal area(FA)
    Correct fit on bike - ralative to...
    Aero bars - worth more time than anything, 36% reduction in PO for given speed
    Aero helmet - shape depends on bike fit, body, and TT
    Power Meter - TT pacing, training, calculation of Crr, Cda, FA, lots of other stuff
    Re-correction of bike position - Reduce FA further, relative to course
    Physiological testing - work out W.FA-1, metabolic cost of position
    Adapt position again
    Aero front wheel - deep as you can handle (oohh er missus)
    Aero rear wheel - tri spoke or disc, depends on course
    other faff
    Dimples

FFS Greg you forgot the three key things.
    1) a compact
    2) a 27 on the back
    3) a PX

tunney wrote: »
    FFS Greg you forgot the three key things.
    1) a compact
    2) a 27 on the back
    3) a PX

May as well add Cervelo to that list....amount of people that actually fit them is minimal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

May as well add Cervelo to that list....amount of people that actually fit them is minimal.

God dammit!

Raam wrote: »
    God dammit!

Sadly, whilst it's true that Planet-X may be the choice of the bargain-seeking groupset obsessed boardsie, the Cervelo is without doubt the steed of choice of the money-no-object ageing Fred. :D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lumen wrote: »
    Sadly, whilst it's true that Planet-X may be the choice of the bargain-seeking groupset obsessed boardsie, the Cervelo is without doubt the steed of choice of the money-no-object ageing Fred. :D

So that's my starting place for a TT bike then ... (or is there something more expensive I should be looking at?)

So that's my starting place for a TT bike then ... (or is there something more expensive I should be looking at?)

Don't know about the frame, but it has to be Di2 for you sir...

GoDi21.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Speed concept or the Shiv

Have to say the Shiv is lovely to look at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭adodsk

bike_65.jpg

I think you guys kinda missed the point of my post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

FS.jpg

but just back off me hols so ignore me

You're confusing the hell out of me now. Do I spend 10 grand or so on a Shiv, or strart dismantling the washing machine to find parts to build "Beasty's Faithful":D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

You're confusing the hell out of me now. Do I spend 10 grand or so on a Shiv, or strart dismantling the washing machine to find parts to build "Beasty's Faithful":D

I think Billy.fish implied we're all fat b*stards................;)

• Advertisement

RobFowl wrote: »
    Well in our cases he may well be right, but I'm claiming over 5 minutes based on his formula and weight lost so far. I'm at the stage where spending the money is getting a lot easier than losing the weight ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

damn right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

http://www.trifit360.com/2010/05/biggest-bang-for-your-buck/

You should be able to knock 5 to 6 mins off your 40Km TT by buying the bits in that link. It worked out like that for me this year by comparison to last years times on a road bike. The new riding position takes a while to get used to.

I think you guys kinda missed the point of my post

Ah, but you missed the point of the thread. :)

Lumen wrote: »
    Ah, but you missed the point of the thread. :)

So instead of getting fitter you want to buy time...

Ok back to the idea that loosing the weight also reduces your frontal areas thus reducing your CdA.

So decreasing drag that way will be faster than any advantage you'd get from a Shiv and no fitness/flexibility

That or a corsett

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I was attempting to be ironic....

Sean Kelly rode one of the fastest road TT's (Averaged 50kph or so) on a road bike with cables exposed, a completely non Aero front and rudimentary rear disc. Instead of a pointy hat he had an old-fashioned hairnet on. And there wasn't even a computer on the bike let alone a HRM of power meter

He did have a skin suit though ......

I was attempting to be ironic....

Sean Kelly rode one of the fastest road TT's (Averaged 50kph or so) on a road bike with cables exposed, a completely non Aero front and rudimentary rear disc. Instead of a pointy hat he had an old-fashioned hairnet on. And there wasn't even a computer on the bike let alone a HRM of power meter

He did have a skin suit though ......

Allot of people rode fast times in that era.

You cant compare average speeds against aerodynamics.

Give me him on that day on that bike and a windtunnel, and Fabien on this years prologue bike for the TDF and then we can play the comparison game.

You are measuring aerodynamics in a highly inconsistant variable of performance. CdA not kph.

I posted after reading an Article in one of the cycling magazines (Cycle sport or Procycling not sure which) where they compared cycling from the early 90's to todays. They compared BigMig's bike, position, TT rig and clothing etc to that of Bradley Wigging who seemed to be judged vastly superior in every way.

I thought they kind of missed the big picture by concentrating so much on the minutiae ...

The bottom line I feel is probably the same point you're making but in a different way. Train better, lose weight and you'll gain much more than obsessing with position/equipment/dimples..

(Also choose your genes well.....)

I posted after reading an Article in one of the cycling magazines (Cycle sport or Procycling not sure which) where they compared cycling from the early 90's to todays. They compared BigMig's bike, position, TT rig and clothing etc to that of Bradley Wigging who seemed to be judged vastly superior in every way.

I thought they kind of missed the big picture by concentrating so much on the minutiae ...

The bottom line I feel is probably the same point you're making but in a different way. Train better, lose weight and you'll gain much more than obsessing with position/equipment/dimples..

(Also choose your genes well.....)

Genetics i must agree with

• Advertisement
Advertisement