Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Logitech Squeezebox - Help

• 19-08-2010 10:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

Hope there is at least one squeezebox user out there.

Right, ive been reading up on the squeezebox and i am highly confused.

I have 4 rooms in the house, where I will put a pair ceiling/recess speakers.(house only at roof level).

So, questions:
    Can i connect a squeexbox receiver up to each set of speakers?

Will the one squeezebox touch work with all receivers?

Would i be better off purchasing a squeezebox duet for each room and having a single remote for each room?

Is there any way to play the same music of all receivers at the same time?

Looking for a logitech support email but cannot find it on their site.

Hope there is at least one squeezebox user out there

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

LowOdour wrote: »
    Hope there is at least one squeezebox user out there.

Right, ive been reading up on the squeezebox and i am highly confused.

I have 4 rooms in the house, where I will put a pair ceiling/recess speakers.(house only at roof level).

So, questions:
    Can i connect a squeexbox receiver up to each set of speakers?

Will the one squeezebox touch work with all receivers?

Would i be better off purchasing a squeezebox duet for each room and having a single remote for each room?

Is there any way to play the same music of all receivers at the same time?

Looking for a logitech support email but cannot find it on their site.

Hope there is at least one squeezebox user out there

Firstly: to shamelessly plug my own advert... http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=271550

How are you going to wire your place? Put ceiling speakers in and run the wire to somewhere in the room?

To answer your questions:

1) Yes, you can connect a squeezebox receiver to each set of speakers. It doesn't have to be a squeezebox receiver though - any of the squeezebox products will ultimately achieve what you want. In fact purchasing the squeezebox receiver might not be the best idea as in limits the control you have of the squeezebox server in each room.

2) I don't fully understand your question - the Touch is basically the same as any of the other squeezebox products only with a fancy screen. Are you looking to "control" the squeezebox server from one central location? If so the easiest thing to do is use a laptop and run the web remote control.

3) No - I wouldn't buy the squeezebox duets (very expensive for what you're getting) use the touch, radio, or classic. They all allow you to control the server without the need for a ridiculous remote control! If you’re spending that type of money then go for something like Sonos instead.

4) Yes, this is basically the whole point of the Squeezebox product. Basically you can play a different song in each run or you can sync the all your squeezebox products together and play the one song in all rooms. You can even play the same song in 3 rooms and a different in the 4th etc...

The Squeezebox Sever works over your home network. I would recommend that you wire as much as possible. So for example I'd run Ethernet connections from your router location to each of the locations you're going to have squeezebox products located. The system works so much better over a wired connection - a lot less unlikely to have syncing problems. At a very minimum I'd wire your host server to your router as this will significantly cut down on any lagging you might experience.

The two zones I'm selling would be a great way for you to get started and decide if it's what you ultimately want to go for!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

I have a squeezbox touch myself ,

The way squeezbox works is you have a server , either a Nas or a PC , serving music and an internet connection ( for internet radio ) to the units.

Each can play different music , you can have each one playing different tunes in different rooms or you can sync them all up to play the same thing if you like.

Only the Boom and the Radio are what you might call standalone units. They have their own internal amp and speakers. They have line out connections for a better amp if you like.

All the rest require amplification. There is a rather pathetic built in amp in the Squeezbox touch , but the less said about that the better. Best to pretend its not there and assume you need amplification.

So can you connect the units directly to speakers ?
    No , your going to need amplification for each zone. The Receiver , the Duet , and the Touch or Classic are all what you would call sources. They need to be connected to an amp , and the amp connects to the speakers.

The receiver itself is not much use without a controller ,you can use a PC or laptop as a controller but its not exactly practical.
    Either buy at least one squeezbox controller , or , if you have an iphone or ipod touch , you can buy the ipenq controller app for about €6.

http://penguinlovesmusic.de/

Its a good system , its versatile and you can build up a personalized home music setup. Its far from cheap however.

Advertisement