Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catherine - the Persona teams new game.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well that cleared up absolutely nothing.

Stylistically, it reminds me of a Satoshi Kon film - the weird sexuality of Perfect Blue meshed with the dreamy visuals of Paprika.

The team behind it implies greatness, but honestly have no idea what to think yet - there's very little in that trailer that seems to be 'gameplay'. I'm a bit concerned it could be along the lines of a typical Japanese 'erotic' game, but given Atlus I'm sure there'll be more to it than that. Although the trailer does suggest vast amounts of T&A :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm a bit concerned it could be along the lines of a typical Japanese 'erotic' game, but given Atlus I'm sure there'll be more to it than that.
    You think eroges are all terrible? :(

I quite like the Nasuverse stuff. Not deep or anything, but I find his world fun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Always wanted to play Kana Little Sister as well, heard it's worth playing despite being a bit 'Durty'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

A lot of players of Nasuverse (i.e. Tsukihime & Fate/Stay-Night) players skip past the ero, as Nasu's writing for these is very... err.. "fishy" :p

(I'd link TVTropes but that's just dangerous).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'll be honest - I've never played an erotic Japanese game, mainly because they freak me out a bit :o I guess Persona is virtual dating sim and I loved that aspect of the game, but the more hypersexualised side of Japanese anime and manga culture is too degrading for my liking. I've glanced through a proper Japanese hentai comic, and was pretty weirded out by it tbh! Not that I object to it morally or anything, just probably not for me. That said if one was released over here and it was good I'd give it a try. Just nothing I have any particular interest in tracking down :pac:

• Advertisement

Well this looks nothing like I was expecting:

Yeah, I'm importing the hell out of this one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm a bit wary watching that trailer in work, after the last trailer Retr0gamer posted (Gal Gun) :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

defo needed a NSFW tag.Those type of jap games I always found slightly odd

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There was me expecting an Atlus RPG but this one looks really strange. Don't know what to make of the gameplay.

Just noticed a demo for this up on PSN Japan. Downloading at a snail's pace, but should be a good indication of whether it's worth importing or not.

Will report back (much) later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,426 ✭✭✭✭noodler

GP, you should introduce Retr0 to death note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

noodler wrote: »
    GP, you should introduce Retr0 to death note.
    Lol, perhaps I should. It is awesome after all. Apparently they're making a Hollywood live action film, Zac Efron was rumoured to star - that seems more like Retr0's thing, I know he likes the girly mens.

As for Catherine, I downloaded the demo but have yet to play it. The menu music is pretty good though.

Gave it a whirl there, I'm impressed. The gameplay in the demo is all block pushing, but it's extremely fast-paced, intense block pushing! First is a tutorial stage, while the second has you being chased by a giant hand with giant fork (yup). It's actually fairly tricky in the 2nd stage, especially to get all the bonus cash and a dastardly final pattern.

Graphically, it is just gorgeous: both the HD anime cutscenes and the fantastic in-game engine. The atmosphere - even lost in translation - is spooky and surreal. There are two main cutscenes, and both features characters having conversations - of course entirely Japanese, so the story most definitely won't translate too easily.

But, yeah, gameplay alone is easy to get a grasp on, and surprisingly challenging: a pleasant mix of platforming and puzzling. Missing out on the storyline is a shame, but hey we can hope for an English language release at some point :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Saw a trailer for this before xmas,whens it out in europe?or will it even get released over here?

Saw a trailer for this before xmas,whens it out in europe?or will it even get released over here?

No European or even Western release announced yet. The cult popularity of the Persona series will hopefully help Atlus justify a release, but the weird Japanese sexuality and tone means it probably isn't quite as safe a bet as other biggish profile games. I hope they do though. I'm considering importing, as gameplay wise it seems perfectly manageable without Japanese, but the story is a big part you'd be missing out on.

Just got an email from Atlus saying this is being released in the States during the summer :)

Glad I held off importing!

I ****ing love atlus!

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/04/27/alternate-catherine-cover-art-for-north-america

Hah. Less risque alternative cover art for "certain retailers". Oh America, you so crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭AllYourBass

I heard there's some kind of crossover between the Persona games and this. Oh, please let it be so, Persona 3 was, seconded only by FFX, my biggest time sink of the PS2 era.

Ludicrous special edition is ludicrous: http://catherinethegame.com/purchase.html

My pre-orders in. Not everyday you get to own a replica pair of underpants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

GothPunk wrote: »
    Lol, perhaps I should. It is awesome after all. Apparently they're making a Hollywood live action film, Zac Efron was rumoured to star - that seems more like Retr0's thing, I know he likes the girly mens.

As for Catherine, I downloaded the demo but have yet to play it. The menu music is pretty good though.

No, keep Hollywood and Efron away from death note, thats sounds crazy and would ruin it.

Back to Catherine, no idea what to make of the game, the Anime style looks great, but the gameplay bits look totally bizarre. Hopefully I will get my hands on it sometime after launch, I doubt it will be going cheap anywhere tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Looks gorgeous...... but the trailer got me with the use of Bach's contrapunctus, seemed to work well with the atmosphere.

Might just get this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

you know what **** this , im gonna learn japanesse language so i can just import from there than waiting 6 months or a year later hoping an english version comes along

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

yes yes saw that pizzabox-pink boxer pre-order news, very tempting :DD

you know what **** this , im gonna learn japanesse language so i can just import from there than waiting 6 months or a year later hoping an english version comes along

Coming to the US from Atlus at the end of Summer.

seraphimvc wrote: »
    yes yes saw that pizzabox-pink boxer pre-order news, very tempting :DD

I was disappointed when I could only find it on Amazon which wouldn't ship internationally. Was overjoyed when videogamesplus put it up :) Plus all pre-orders come with an artbook and soundtrack CD, so there'll be a nice package arriving late July / early August :)

Let's hope the game holds up over pro-longed session. Couldn't understand the narrative segments in the demo, but I'm hopeful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

This looks real interesting. Hope it comes to Europe. Is it possible the US X360 version will be region-free?

This looks real interesting. Hope it comes to Europe. Is it possible the US X360 version will be region-free?

Hard to tell alas. If they're thinking of a European release they probably won't make it region free, but you never know! Hopefully they'll make an announcement about it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭AllYourBass

Is that even possible? I thought once the console was region locked , all the software was too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,063 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Is that even possible? I thought once the console was region locked , all the software was too?

Nope, games can be region free.

Advertisement