Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catherine - the Persona teams new game.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Does anyone have the special edition of this?

I'm heading to the US next week (on honeymoon :D). Gonna pick this up for PS3... just wondering which version to get. There's almost too much in the CE. Almost... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Mine was the special edition (ordered by mistake, I'd only intended to get the normal version :pac:). It came with a pillow case, a tshirt in (American?) large, and boxers in the same size - honestly, all of these will realistically never get used. Had a flick through the artbook, it's just a few pages of renderings of the characters from what I can see (though I'm not the arty type - so perhaps don't 'appreciate' it enough), and haven't stuck the soundtrack on.

I guess it's nice to 'have', but all of it except the game itself will be at the bottom of a wardrobe gathering dust shortly I reckon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mine arrived today, have a job interview so it will have to wait until later. It was posted on Thursday but I had it sent by a friend over in the states.

VG+ can take a while now. They used to be super fast but lately I've noticed that an Post have gotten very slow with canadian post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Töpher wrote: »
    Mine was the special edition (ordered by mistake, I'd only intended to get the normal version :pac:). It came with a pillow case, a tshirt in (American?) large, and boxers in the same size - honestly, all of these will realistically never get used. Had a flick through the artbook, it's just a few pages of renderings of the characters from what I can see (though I'm not the arty type - so perhaps don't 'appreciate' it enough), and haven't stuck the soundtrack on.

I guess it's nice to 'have', but all of it except the game itself will be at the bottom of a wardrobe gathering dust shortly I reckon.

Thank you :) Your avatar genuinely unnerves me btw.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Not to worry, mine arrived today too :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Have to say I'm really loving this game. Could be a game of the year contender for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,426 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Have to say I'm really loving this game. Could be a game of the year contender for me.

Must have been an impressive few hours!

I love the writing and the block puzzles are far more fun than you'd think. It just all kind of works together. If it keeps this quality up then it will take some beating for my personal goty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Cots1

Great game altogether right up their with portal 2 for my game of the year, great puzzle game, also has all the small things that i like in a game you can play your own background music and one of the trophies actually made me laugh.

Thoroughly enjoyed what I've played through so far, admittedly only about 2 hours in (had to replay a good chunk again after not saving, thought when it said 'saving' in the bottom left it was auto-saving, d'oh!), had to give up last night at the
    immoral beast (day three, final room)
    , I reckon if I'd kept playing all night I'd still be stuck at the same spot this morning, died about 25 times there last night! It didn't anger me though, which is unusual! :pac: Guess it's cuz it was still so damn fun to play.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Rumours of a PC version has cropped up overnight. A file was uncovered in a hidden folder on the PS3 retail disk of controller layouts

UISkinFull_ps3.jpg

EDIT: Also, 2 Player mode
    1857520-charaselect_test02_1024x576_super.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,426 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Rumours of a PC version has cropped up overnight. A file was uncovered in a hidden folder on the PS3 retail disk of controller layouts

EDIT: Also, 2 Player mode

Well..not overnight..that article was on Kotaku on Friday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

OK took me a few hours to make up my mind but I love this game. Difficulty takes a serious spike at night four
    with a need to build extremely precarious, multi-layered pyramids to scale
    . Night three provided some difficulties, but that's because I was fairly determined to go for gold. But alas, like always, shameful silver despite getting a perfect combo in one stage (cursed rewind button!).

Storywise it's very engaging. Probably a game I'm going to replay through again and be an absolute bastard :p

Final thought? **** Rapunzel and its cursed credit limit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

Finished it last night. Great game. :D

Except Rapunzel, I'll get around to that............eventually. :pac:

Night 6 stage 3 on Normal = :eek:

Finished it today. Last few nights are intense stuff altogether!
    Mutton is a bastard - especially that kick move that regularly catches you off guard!

Overall, loved it. I know Edge wrote a very critical take on the last third of the story, but TBH I really enjoyed the odd direction it took. Ended up with the
    true lover ending
    , but am already eager to go back and earn those golds while making different decisions - very curious how they manage eight different variations on the conclusion. Also, disappointed I only managed
    to 'save' one of the bar dwellers. Had actually gone out of my way to try and encourage the rest.

But yeah, excellent game, and far from done with it yet.

Just finished it tonight, I'll be whinging about lack of sleep tomorrow, but that was well worth it. Thoroughly enjoyable, and I'll be attacking it again very very soon.

Finished it as well at about 4 am last night :) shattered at the moment! Was worth it though, excellent game and I might just go back and try it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭AllYourBass

I'm assuming all ye lucky yokes are playing the US version region free on the PS3, or has some magic happened for the X360 version? *hopes*

Got my PS3 special edition box from the US :P Really no reason not to import.

• Advertisement

Blitzing through it on normal again just to pick up some golds for unlocking stages on Babel (didn't get any first time through! :eek:), skipping all cut scenes, interactions, etc. Will probably hit a sticking point at some point soon, completed the first 4 stages in about 2 hours this morning with only 2 non-golds I think. Currently saved at the start of Stage 5, think she takes a severe climb in difficulty after here.

I haven't enjoyed a single player game this much since the first Portal (admittedly I haven't bought too many, not a huge number have appealed to me). I wasn't aware that games could be imported so easily for the PS3 though, I guess I could end up looking for a few more interesting titles that way.

Have gotten all the golds up until stage six - none of them are too bad. Thats the easy part done though - night six onwards is when the arse kickings begin.

Rub it in why don't you? :pac: I think I'll skip the ones I've missed for now, and go back another time when I'm trying to create a save to branch for the different endings from (I should have done that this time, d'oh!).

Töpher wrote: »
    Rub it in why don't you? :pac: I think I'll skip the ones I've missed for now, and go back another time when I'm trying to create a save to branch for the different endings from (I should have done that this time, d'oh!).

Taking advantage of the eccentricities of the combo system definitely helps. In theory, you can be constantly undoing in order to reset your combo meter. So if you're in the middle of building a big structure but a few moves away from another level, press undo just as your combo is about to drop and viola!

Of course, doing that too much will decrease your coinage, but if you know how to take advantage of it perfect runs are much easier. And only a handful of the coin pickups will provide much difficulty in those early levels anyway :)

Six onwards, though: you're on your own :P

What I've noticed about the Persona teams games and what has most impressed me about them is how well they manage with such a small budget. Persona 3 and 4 and Catherine all had small budgets but you wouldn't really notice. They all only use a handful of small locations and the dungeons/puzzle sections are all either randomly generated or in catherines case made of simple blocks. It's amazing what can be done with such small budgets and what good writing and art style can do to conver it up. You really wouldn't think Catherine and the two latest Persona games were so low budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

And the special edition comes with Vincent's t-shirt!

Must resist temptation to double-dip...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 IllusionedEyes

Not overly impressed with the Stray Sheep edition we're getting. The Love is Over goodies are much more appealing in my opinion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Out this week.... I'm already knee deep in Skyrim, Rayman and Zelda so I think I'll hold off for a bit. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Flip. Forgot it was out this week. I left my 360 with my brother for the month, noooo :(

Advertisement