Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you type text msgs on mobiles with both hands?

Options
  • 19-08-2010 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭

Well, i'm learning :)

Recently when I was away from the pc for free webtexts, I had to use the mobile alot for the texts and as a right-hander my damn thumbs were killing me stiffwise ;)

From been used to hitting that keypad with just my right hand(as a right hander), it was a challenge to spell properly on the mobile using both hands!

So i've been trying to text using both hands, do you find that difficult to do?
    My OH can type a text with both hands and flies at writing the text, is that the way to do it? :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

no

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Yeah easy peasy.
    Got a new phone with querty keys and finding difficult to do type a text full stop :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

tl;dr

Fancy continuing this conversation over a few pints? It'll be great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

yeah i can do it no problem-always use both hands. I use my mobile for the net too-so typing all this with one hand would take forever!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Used to be able to type blind and at speed but impossible now i have an iPhone...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I always use both hands. I accidentally cut a chunk out of my left thumb recently and trying to text with one hand only is killing me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Yes, my phone has a touchscreen qwerty kb that works surprisingly well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Ok, can you do it on a non-qwerty keyboard mobile? (damn fancy phones ye have :D)

I'm slowly getting used to it and i think its actually faster than using one hand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

gurramok wrote: »
    Ok, can you do it on a non-qwerty keyboard mobile? (damn fancy phones ye have :D)

I'm slowly getting used to it and i think its actually faster than using one hand :)

Mine's non-qwerty, yes.
    And it's a hell of a lot faster, once you're used to it.
    I think I'm faster than most people I know, but then I don't know any teenage girls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Never bothered, just used me thumb n t9.

That's too easy;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I have to use both since I got my 'smrt' phone :mad:

I used to be able to walk and text without looking. Can't do that now. Have to stop on the street like a pleb. Hate doing only one thing at the one time.

That's too easy;)

Try writing a pen with your left hand(assuming your right handed) and apply that to texting, i found it just needs practice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Secondary school taught me to text with my left hand in my pocket and have my right hand ready to write in case the teacher looked down at me.

But yes, I generally text with both hand because it's faster. I'm reasonably adept at texting with individual hands as well though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

l yes I can
    r yes I can
    apparently I can:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    l yes I can
    r yes I can
    apparently I can:)

Is this secret code :eek::p

I can use both hands *smug*

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

No not really. I use my right hand. Not unless my fingers from my right hand are sore from texting will I use my left hand. Not great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I tend to use both hands but I'd be a wee bit slower with my left hand on it's own but I can - not a whole lot slower but ya'd notice it at the same time..
    saying that I'd not be near as fast with only my right hand either - just not used to reaching the whole way over the the 147* keys with my right hand because I always text with 2 hands....

tend to use the right hand for the 369# keys and 2580 keys usually and then use the left for 147* and the dpad to choose the word with predictive text...

i'd be pretty slow overall only using 1 hand compared to using both hands - so in answer to your quesion

i can't text at all without 2 hands

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

having a full keyboard on my phone helps plenty.
    I would never be able to text with regular phone keys.
    Two thumbs and a couple of fingers and I've become quite speedy!

Lust4Life wrote: »
    having a full keyboard on my phone helps plenty.
    I would never be able to text with regular phone keys.
    Two thumbs and a couple of fingers and I've become quite speedy!

Try it with regular phone keys. Guess most of us know where most of the letters are, it just takes a bit of practice to do it with both hands.

Its a health issue too(:D), less arthritis in your thumbs when using both hands as your balance the load!

• Advertisement

Try it with regular phone keys. Guess most of us know where most of the letters are, it just takes a bit of practice to do it with both hands.

Its a health issue too(:D), less arthritis in your thumbs when using both hands as your balance the load!

I know people who text all day long and I can understand how it would hurt your wrists and thumbs in time.

For me, it is just another form of communication - more to the point than an actual phone call - less time wasted.

Lust4Life wrote: »
    I know people who text all day long and I can understand how it would hurt your wrists and thumbs in time.

For me, it is just another form of communication - more to the point than an actual phone call - less time wasted.

You a Talker or a Texter? :)

I obviously prefer the computer! :p

Advertisement