Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trainers or Rollers?

• 19-08-2010 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Alright lads, which do you all prefer trainers or rollers? thinking of investing some with the light starting to fade and the weather getting worse...

was looking at these two trainer and roller

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I had a set of rollers in the early 80's and loved them.
    You could work up a good sweat and heartbeat.
    But now, I'm a fan of getting the mudguards on and heading out in the winter. Variety.

Just about up to the Liam Horner Memorial last winter. The last 100 metres was "all over the road" with wobbles. 23mm. but didn't expect it to be that bad. Half mile down the road it was dry. I flew down the far side of Glencree Valley..................should have seen the patches of ice though!!!!!! Scary gear.

4203822623_4bca9ecbab-1.jpg

Which you won't get on rollers or a trainer.

See the tracks on the left. Do you cycle on the snow (half inch) and fall into the gutter eventually or go up on the ice? Tried both. Fell off on the snow past that picture. And slithered on the ice going up to the top. Car coming down didn't help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭cipo

Obviously neither of them would be great but with time constructions, weather and darkness......

Rollers for sure!

Anyone who says different hasn't tried both and therefore should nt give an opinion!

Improves riding skills, you actually have to concentrate a bit which stops the boredom of plodding a long on a turbo!!!

Tacx rollers are very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

I use the rollers, actually use is robably the wrong word... I have the rollers.

i think if your still gointa be able get out on the weekend the rollers are probably a better way to go but if not then maybe the turbo.

the rollers are a bit easier than the turbo so i think you get a better work out on the turbo if you can stick the boredom. not so sure about the rollers improving your bike handling and ballance like everyone says... but they can improve your pedaling, ive got 2 gammy legs and i always find after a couple of weeks on the rollers they straighten out a bit.

also if your like me and too poor to have 2 sets of wheels the rollers are a little better (well those trax one are anyway) as they dont wear down a tyre hardly at all so you can use the same wheels on the road and the rollers.

Planet X wrote: »
    I

4203822623_4bca9ecbab-1.jpg

haha if thats where i think it is are you about 9 miles up? did you have to sit in the saddle the whole way? i think i prefere me rollers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Planet X wrote: »
    I'm a fan of getting the mudguards on and heading out in the winter....Fell off on the snow past that picture. And slithered on the ice going up to the top. Car coming down didn't help.

You're really selling it.

• Advertisement

I haven't used rollers but I like the fact that you can watch TV whilst using a static trainer. I set myself up with a laptop on the kitchen table in front of me, headphones on, and watch downloaded TV programmes for everything up to tempo, then switch to the ipod for the harder intervals.

I don't think this would work well with rollers. You'd need a longer headphone cable, which would be a bit dodgy, or else have the TV on very loud, which in my case would be domestically unacceptable.

High intensity intervals are apparently also harder on rollers, as the resistance tends to be less and the balance more of a problem, but there are rollers with higher resistance units built in, and some free rollers which allow you to get out of the saddle without falling off.

yea its a bit harder to get alot of resistance on the rollers. but they're not that loud, ive got a yoga mat thing under mine takes a bit of the sound out of it. 3.99 in tesco, compared to tracx mat for around 50euro

for the resistance tho i just let a bit of air out of the tyres around 75 - 85 psi works for me and theres enough resistance that i cant push along in the big ring for very long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Gonna throw in my vote for the turbotrainers too. Handy to be able to hop the bike on something that you can modulate the resistance on when it's too dark or the weather's too bad to train out doors.

Never tried rollers myself - they look interesting, and I can imagine how they might work to train technique but knowing me I'd lose concentration and end up having a crash without ever leaving the apartment....

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Billycake

Computrainer is what I went with about two years ago. A bit of a hefty investment but is definitely worth it if you can stump up for it. I have it in the spare bedroom on a laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

Have to say the idea of being able to minimise concentration with the trianer is tempting especially since i'd prefer to be listening to eurobeats and forgetting I'm at home ... so will I need some training tires for the trainer then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

What do people here have?
    What do people recomend?
    What to look for in a trainer, and what to avoid?

Dont want to spend more than €400.

ROK ON wrote: »
    What do people here have?
    What do people recomend?
    What to look for in a trainer, and what to avoid?

Dont want to spend more than €400.

Tacx Satori.

cough* hijack cough* :rolleyes:

so back to my tires query :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

When I had my bike fit done with bikefittingireland, I was asking Aidan (Hammond) about turbo trainers seeing as the one he had there was super quiet, he said if I was going to get a turbo then make sure I get a fluid one, its worth the extra few quid. All the "cons" of them seem to be stories about leaking but from some research they seem to be a bit over exaggerated. I'm getting one for myself and this is one with good reviews allround....
    CycleOps JetFluid Pro
    Seeing as your budget is 400, you'd get that, a 3.99 yoga mat from tesco ;) , and a spare wheel/training tyre easy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

cough* hijack cough* :rolleyes:

so back to my tires query :)

Yes....
    Conti Ultrasport Home Trainer Tyre
    Note it might be cheaper elsewhere.

cough* hijack cough* :rolleyes: so back to my tires query :)

Yes, buy a trainer tyre.

Lumen wrote: »
    Yes, buy a trainer tyre.

alright no need for the blown gasket Charlie! Apologies for my americanization of the king's ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Well for me its rollers the whole way the turbo is way too boring and turbo does not improve handling and balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

I have tried both, I much prefer the rollers for the following reasons:

1) More concentration is needed to stay balanced and therefore time seems to pass quicker than a trainer.
    2) A trainer eats rear tyres and requires that you use the wheel skewer that comes with it. With the rollers you just hop on.
    3) The bike computer works with the rollers as the front wheel goes round, handy for keeping an eye on speed etc.
    4) Vastly improves balance and keeping the upper body more rigid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Karagesh

Turbo and if I need motivation: http://www.thesufferfest.com/

I don't watch much TV and want to relax if I'm taking in a film.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭skidpatches

I got Tacx T1000 Antares at christmas last year, and use them several times a week.

I can watch tv, ride one handed, ride out of the saddle, etc. I use headphones secured to the handlebars and to something to keep the cable away from the front wheel.

And as for not enough resistance... if you can spin 100-120rpm in your highest gear for an hour and it doesn't get your heart rate high enough for a decent workout, then fair play to you.

You might reach a point where you can't get your heart rate into the 90s for intervals, but they should still be good for a tempo session.

After that, if it's too easy, just do single leg drills.

I can watch tv, ride one handed, ride out of the saddle, etc.

Riding no handed on rollers takes a bit of getting used to.

But what about this dude?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

He's pretty sexy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

BTW, that's a lot easier than you might think.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

haha if thats where i think it is are you about 9 miles up? did you have to sit in the saddle the whole way? i think i prefere me rollers

Saddle? What's that about?

You learn about balance also.
    You probably race?

Now, if you said "5 Miles Out" I'd think about "The Exorcist" ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Ok, so do I have this right? If I go for a turbo I should really get a second rear wheel with training tyre and skewer? :confused:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

snollup wrote: »
    Ok, so do I have this right? If I go for a turbo I should really get a second rear wheel with training tyre and skewer? :confused:
    Yes you have it right.

You really must use a trainer tyre, and it would be a lot of hassle if you have to change over tyres every time you put the bike on or take it off the trainer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

But with rollers no need to change tyre?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 pmg001

Well for me its rollers the whole way the turbo is way too boring and turbo does not improve handling and balance.

I don't really get why people always make this point. I mean when have you ever lost your balance and just fallen off your bike?
    Surely it just improves your balance on the roller?

I've never used a roller by the way:)

With regard to having a spare tyre for the trainer, I don't bother, doesn't seem to be all that bad. Although I don't have top end tyres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

pmg001 wrote: »
    I don't really get why people always make this point. I mean when have you ever lost your balance and just fallen off your bike?
    Surely it just improves your balance on the roller?

The rollers can help improve your pedaling form.

Raam wrote: »
    The rollers can help improve your pedaling form.

It takes quite a bit of balance to stay on the rollers, the best way to do this is to keep the upper body still, this also improves ones pedal stroke.

I find that employing this technique out on the road improves my cycling.

Advertisement