Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English results???

• 19-08-2010 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Just wondering how did english go for everyone after peoples poets not coming up and all?? I got a b3 after being told by my teacher to do ordinary and was completely relying on boland aswell:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 EabhaMae

C2! I just can't write THAT fast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 ilikesunshine

sometimes teachers wreck my buzz

my teacher said I was way better at science but my A2 in english was better than my three sciences (ashamedly) but true .... he hated my guts though =P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

B3 - Extremely disappointed.
    Ah well, rechecks here I come!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Dafydd Thomas

johnmcdnl wrote: »

There is an unusually high level of threads here in the past few days so it's understandable.

I got an A2. I'm going to view it and then maybe recheck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭kmhenry

B2 extremely happy...up from a C in the mocks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭A Changer

I got an A2. I'm going to view it and then maybe recheck.

My English teacher, who was also an Assistant Inspector, had only venomous words for English students who'd recheck an A2 in English. Since it is remarked on the final marking scheme, whereas your paper may have been marked on an earlier one, it will be scrutinised to an intense degree. She does rechecks, and told us she had never brought an English paper up - only down. Unless there's a mark-calculation error, you may want to ask yourself...are you sure you want to risk your A2? Who knows, my old English teacher could be the one looking at it... ;)

A Changer wrote: »
    My English teacher, who was also an Assistant Inspector, had only venomous words for English students who'd recheck an A2 in English. Since it is remarked on the final marking scheme, whereas your paper may have been marked on an earlier one, it will be scrutinised to an intense degree. She does rechecks, and told us she had never brought an English paper up - only down. Unless there's a mark-calculation error, you may want to ask yourself...are you sure you want to risk your A2? Who knows, my old English teacher could be the one looking at it... ;)

tbh i think this is a bit unfair it's your own english teacher's fault if she fails to bring people up but remaining loyal to the often very biased correctors .... I'm sure Daffyd knows what he's on about if he wants to recheck it he should .... you'll always wonder :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Got a B3, was expecting a C2 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭monaghanman10

i got an a2 but in my class of 23 there was 9 a1s and 4 a2s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

:eek:

Hang on, Yeats or the Institute??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭monaghanman10

neither a public school in monaghan

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭A Changer

tbh i think this is a bit unfair

That's what we told my English teacher. What was her response? "Tough!"

She says there is little sympathy for those who are unhappy with great grades. An A2 is a stunning mark to get in such a subjective examination. Yet the system in place is as I've explained - the recheck gets nailed with the toughest marking scheme they put together. Whether it's fair or not doesn't factor into it, in fact, the system overall is acutely unfair, giving the better grades to those marked first rather than those marked last. There's only a limited amount of A1s to be given out, and they'll bring subsequent grades down in order to try and keep it under that number, as, in their earnest, examiners will mark the first set of papers they get very generously.

Chances are, they've probably given out more A1s, or even A2s, than they would've liked to. They're not likely to hand out any more, particularly if you weren't fortunate enough on the first go. Them's the ropes, apparently. :(

A Changer wrote: »
    That's what we told my English teacher. What was her response? "Tough!"

She says there is little sympathy for those who are unhappy with great grades. An A2 is a stunning mark to get in such a subjective examination. Yet the system in place is as I've explained - the recheck gets nailed with the toughest marking scheme they put together. Whether it's fair or not doesn't factor into it, in fact, the system overall is acutely unfair, giving the better grades to those marked first rather than those marked last. There's only a limited amount of A1s to be given out, and they'll bring subsequent grades down in order to try and keep it under that number, as, in their earnest, examiners will mark the first set of papers they get very generously.

Chances are, they've probably given out more A1s, or even A2s, than they would've liked to. They're not likely to hand out any more, particularly if you weren't fortunate enough on the first go. Them's the ropes, apparently. :(

I believe you I think there were 4 A2s in my class the examiner was allergic to the A1 =[ my sister got 99 per cent in english though so it was totally her helping me that got me the A in the 1st place ! My teacher hated/s me =0

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I know a lot of people don't have sympathy for those on A2s, but I can see where they are coming from. A recheck to get a B3 to a B2 only increases points by 5, whereas A2 -> A1 is actually 10 whole points, and it might only be a few marks. 10 points is massive - people have repeated over less!

I know a lot of people don't have sympathy for those on A2s, but I can see where they are coming from. A recheck to get a B3 to a B2 only increases points by 5, whereas A2 -> A1 is actually 10 whole points, and it might only be a few marks. 10 points is massive - people have repeated over less!

I know A2 is the most frustrating result !! and I got 3 =[ well better than Bs i spose :P

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭RoRoCullen

WOW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 nicolasusername

Managed an A1 somehow which was the biggest shock of my life seeing as my teacher never gave me higher than a B...it's now you start to appreciate the hard markers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭kmhenry

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: that is absolutely brilliant...out of 90 lc students in my own school only one person, my brother, got an A1 and the highest after that was a B2 (myself) :eek::eek:...jesus my school is ****!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭LadyGaga!

Managed an A1 somehow which was the biggest shock of my life seeing as my teacher never gave me higher than a B...it's now you start to appreciate the hard markers!!

I'm the same, I really appreciate my teacher now, she gave me D3's all year and it was my shock to see that I got a B3! She never[/RARELY] gave anyone higher than a B2 and I can see why now!

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

Got a C2....wasn't expecting anything else as I have never gotten a B in any english test since 2nd year:D.English just isn't my thing no matter how hard I try.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭tictac__x

Was shocked I came out with an A1 after Boland, the only poet I had studied didn't turn up and my teacher warned me against doing a short story, delighted I did it anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I know an A2 can feel a bit frustrating, but in a subject with an element of subjectivity like English, I'd be slow to rock the boat tbh.

It's different with maths or the sciences if you're teetering on the borderline and can point to something which has been missed etc.
    THFC wrote: »
    :eek:

Hang on, Yeats or the Institute??
    Ha! Thus demonstrating that you don't need to attend either a grind school or a private school to get good results.

I luuurrv the automatic assumption that it was Yeats or the IoE! :D

Btw, monaghanman, you weren't writing the exam diary for the Indo, were you? :P

I luuurrv the automatic assumption that it was Yeats or the IoE! :D
    I wasnt assuming! I just had to make sure that was all! And even if that was in a grind school they're fairly frickin impressive results!

Advertisement