Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing nameserver for my .ie domain

Options
  • 19-08-2010 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hey guys,

For last week or so I'm trying to change the name server of my .ie domain to a hosting provider's name server's in US.

I've got a dedicated server from a US provider due to cost reasons and now I'm stuck with this.

It gives me an error

"
    Authoritative answers obtained from only one nameserver Your DNS change has been unsuccessful. Please verify your DNS entry and try again. If you still get this error, please contact your hosting provider and ask them to set up DNS for your domain, and then try the change again.
    "

I have ticket open with both parties and seems like I' the first person to come accross this problem.

any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭jpl888

I hope I can help you.

I have a vague recollection of this issue when I have tried to change my own nameservers. Basically IEDR think there is something wrong with one of the nameservers you have provided and won't change unless the issue is resolved. I know that they are very strict.

I ended up using a different provider.

Perhaps you could use a OVH or Kimsufi dedicated server they are as cheap as the American providers but are a bit closer to home. Kimsufi give at least 2 ip's you can then host your own DNS (although it will really only be one server). I ran like that for a while.

Happy to give more advice if you have questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

The IEDR (.ie registry) run a check against the new provider's nameservers. If all nameservers do not return the same data then you cannot change them

You can check your nameservers' configuration here: http://mydnscheck.com

Yes it was something like that or the time being different on both servers. Not much you can do about it beyond use a different provider or get them to sort it out, I had trouble with the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Why do you need to change DNS provider? Just repoint the A record with your current domain provider.

He is trying to change the nameservers for his domain and the IEDR won't let him because the nameservers he has given aren't configured right.

How that has anything to do with A records is beyond me???????????????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

jpl888 wrote: »
    He is trying to change the nameservers for his domain and the IEDR won't let him because the nameservers he has given aren't configured right.

How that has anything to do with A records is beyond me???????????????

Because he doesn't need to change the NS Servers to do achieve what I think he's trying to.

The IEDR won't allow you to change NS unless the domain is already set up on the receiving NS, which is most likely the problem.

testicle wrote: »
    Because he doesn't need to change the NS Servers to do achieve what I think he's trying to.

The IEDR won't allow you to change NS unless the domain is already set up on the receiving NS, which is most likely the problem.

Ok I understand where you are coming from. Yes I suppose it might be easier just to update the A record for the server, although it could be confusing to have to log into one control to update DNS and another to do stuff with the dedicated server.

On the second point I understand what you mean. I have had a problem where even though I had setup the nameservers correctly the IEDR wouldn't accept the changes. There was some difference between the 2 servers (I think it was the time was wrong on the second one).

He could also host his own DNS that might be a little involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

jpl888 wrote: »
    . There was some difference between the 2 servers (I think it was the time was wrong on the second one).
    Which means that they weren't setup correctly ...

A LOT of the ccTLD registries check that the DNS is correctly configured, while .com don't ... End result - a very large portion of .com has badly configured DNS

Blacknight wrote: »
    Which means that they weren't setup correctly ...

A LOT of the ccTLD registries check that the DNS is correctly configured, while .com don't ... End result - a very large portion of .com has badly configured DNS

Now there you go you've hit the nail on the head. DNS updates won't work very well without the correct time either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 F.J

Jpl888, Blacknight & testicles .. Thanks a mill guys for the options.

I was away trying to explain to my hosting provider about the need for two nameservers to respond. But without luck.

I really liked the A record idea... I just registered the domain, so may be I should get basic hosting from Letshost as well and then redirect all traffic to the server in US.

This is very frustrating... I feel .ie domain registerar should have a very prominent notice somewhere alarming users to select the hosting providers carefully.

Thank you so much once again

• Advertisement

I think you can use Letshost's domain servers without paying for basic hosting.

If you are stuck on how to do it I will help you.

I have a few Letshost domains although I have my own domain servers, it shouldn't be much hassle to figure out how to use theirs.

Advertisement