Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lock in's: Your experiences and where to find 'em

Options
  • 19-08-2010 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

It just hit me today that in my relatively few years of drinking (8) that I've only ever had a lock-in in one pub and that was in the arse end of nowhere in Co. Antrim. I'd love to go have one again with a few friends down in west Cork or Kerry but I wouldn't have the first clue where to go. So I was wondering if any fellow Boardsies have had any notable lock in experiences here in Ireland (not abroad as it just really isn't they same). Obviously names of pubs cannot be mentioned due to (sigh) legal reasons but if ye could 'hint' at the general area where the pubs are then that would be great! Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

can't really say exactly where, but head a few miles due south of Schull and you can drink your fill all night..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

There are a few in North Kerry. PM if you want a name of a particular pub! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭KevinVonSpiel

Dundalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Oh hello mr detective, good detective skills you're using.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

seaside villages are your friend

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

A certain pub in the centre of Cork up to a few years ago...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

+1 on Dundalk - can last well into to the early hours - maybe even the morning and its always great craic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

The first rule of the lock in is never talk about the lock in. :pac:

In Before The Lock In!:p

In Before The Lock !:p

In Before The Lock In!:p

Ninja edit made it a bit better but only half points as it was your second go :p;)

• Advertisement

Ninja edit made it a bit better but only half points as it was your second go :p;)

Why thank you, how you managed to get my first post that quick? ;)
    I'm great, spot the mistake once I post...I am known to be a donkey ninja when editing sometimes! I've had some stick for it!

Not Fair why I loose points? :( ...ninja editing again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

I constantly hear about lock ins in local pubs, but I always feckin' miss them! :pac:

Why thank you, how you managed to get my first post that quick? ;)
    I'm great, spot the mistake once I post...I am known to be a donkey ninja when editing sometimes! I've had some stick for it!

Not Fair why I loose points? :( ...ninja editing again...

lol I saw the first one and was saying to myself he really should have gone for lock in :D then next time I looked you had :p

basically I then faked the quote after :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

theres always lock ins in my local except on the nights when i head out

lol I saw the first one and was saying to myself he really should have gone for lock in :D then next time I looked you had :p

basically I then faked the quote after :o

Ok? I spotted it before you had a chance to say it yourself! :pac:

P.S. I am a girl!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Dudess wrote: »
    A certain pub in the centre of Cork up to a few years ago...

There are a couple of places that still do, but only if you are very regular there and the staff are up for it. Know of 2 that have had them in the past 2 months. I wasn't there though! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Hello Garda f0ggy92 ;)

Only messin. I think lockins are kept pretty quite these days. I know a few in South Tipp. Just head for the more "rural spots"

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The Hitching Post, in Lexilp used to have the odd lock-in. It's since been razed to the ground, and an Aldi or something built over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

Hello Garda f0ggy92 ;)

Only messin. I think lockins are kept pretty quite these days. I know a few in South Tipp. Just head for the more "rural spots"

haha ya right not many 17 year old gardai about now is there. i'm in south tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Was in a pub in Killkenny city ,woman comes round at 12 and starts putting ashtrays on the tables,asked whats with the ashtrays?

She says she doesnt want people going outside and bringing unwanted attention

So there i was breaking two laws in the one night:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

haha ya right not many 17 year old gardai about now is there. i'm in south tipp.

Oooooooooooooooh! If only you were 18 I could tell you the exact location of the lockins. Damn

Mind you, I'm sure you'll find them out soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

every weekend in the local pub, its family owned and in the country though

Lock'em punk! Don't let them out and throw away the key! Yay lock-in till all hours! It's like a treasure hunt to find a pub that engages in lock In. Best craic all together if you can find them and know where they are!

Ha, you're only 17, you should be asking if any pubs will let you in, no mind stay in after hours :P

I'm 25!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The first rule of lock ins

YOU NEVER TALK ABOUT LOCK INS!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭KevinVonSpiel

f0ggy92 wrote: »

Comic genius. & I say that rarely nowadays about anyone apart from myself, Norm McDonald & that other guy...

Diplomacy through vagueness win.

irish-stew wrote: »
    The first rule of lock ins

YOU NEVER TALK ABOUT LOCK INS!!
    I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

the_syco wrote: »
    The Hitching Post, in Lexilp used to have the odd lock-in. It's since been razed to the ground, and an Aldi or something built over it.

God i miss that kip, was chatting about it yesterday with the leaving cert results out, spent my leaving cert night in there, 17, got in with a gym card that had no picture on it.classy times.

Not many lock-ins in leixlip these days, if you're lucky one or two spots will serve for an hour or bit longer than they should-all depends on the staffs humour!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

As someone who works in a pub lockins every now and then are grand but the problem is when regulars expect them and then bitch and moan if the staff arent willing.

Back on topic......i know a good few pubs and clubs round cork city that will allow for a few drinks after hours if they know you.

Advertisement