Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scholarship

• 20-08-2010 12:28am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭

Right! This is a bit of a strange one but I thought maybe someone might know this from experience. I got 550 points in the leaving cert and I have enough for my course but there is also a scholarship for those who get 560 so i'm going to appeal a few subjects. If I do get the extra 10 points will I still be eligible for the scholarship? It says they're awarded in September but the appeals dont come back until October! Bit of a shot in the dark I know bt maybe someone might know :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

Right! This is a bit of a strange one but I thought maybe someone might know this from experience. I got 550 points in the leaving cert and I have enough for my course but there is also a scholarship for those who get 560 so i'm going to appeal a few subjects. If I do get the extra 10 points will I still be eligible for the scholarship? It says they're awarded in September but the appeals dont come back until October! Bit of a shot in the dark I know bt maybe someone might know :)

Scholarship for what? There's no fees... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Food, travel, materials, books, possibly accomadation, oh and a social life;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

You should contact the college. A quick email or phonecall would let you know. I'm sure they've come across such a situation before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

Crow92 wrote: »
    Food, travel, materials, books, possibly accomadation, oh and a social life;)

Sounds like a grant to me :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭CantStandMeNow

Yeah spose it's just a grant! I dont know they call it a scholarship though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Sounds like a grant to me :pac:
    A grant is paid by the state through the local authorities / VECs, and is means-tested. It's not dependent on achievement once a minimum threshold has been achieved.

A scholarship is offered by a college or other body, and is usually more dependent on achievement rather than on means, though a small number of scholarship schemes may be linked to specific schools in disadvantaged areas, etc. The more common type would be something like the above ... offered to those with 560 points plus as an incentive to bring the top achievers to that college.

That said, some schemes blur the lines ... and either is likely to be spent on much the same basic costs of life for a student.

OP, you need to contact the college directly, it's very unlikely anyone here can give you a reliable answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Depends on the university, our ceremony was the week after appeals came back so I assumed that they had waited for them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Wow first time I'm hearing about this. Lucky too, bang on 560 as I am:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 nicolasusername

What college is offering this scholarship?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭blacklionboy

I have the same too. Got 530 and theres a scholarship for 540 or more.

Getting maths rechecked as i got an a2 but was sure i was gonna get an a1!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

OP, check out the college prospectus and email one of the admin staff. they'll be able to tell you for definite.

some colleges offer entry busaries for those who achieve certain points. i know NUIG give this to people over 560 points iirc. if you're not sure, check out the college prospectus or the registration handbook you'll probably get a fews days after you accept your offer.
    for general grants/scholarships, look at this. it's not a complete list though. some you are automatically entered into if you are eligible and some you need to apply for yourself. i'd say the application dates may be gone but you never know. i got a scholarship and i only heard about it in september last year. sure what have ya to lose by applying? :)
    i look through the whole of that site i linked. it gives a lot of info about grants and other stuff.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

It has happened many times that people have gotten a lower grade after the recheck, as some teachers say rechecks are marked harder (whether this is true or not).

You don't want to be appealling 550 and coming back with 545 or 540.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Akanthia

I think you have to pass the 560 threshold.
    its still means tested though. if you have 560 and your going to college would literally push your family to the breadline you'd be eligible. they will only give a scholorship to those who need it and are smart:):):D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭CantStandMeNow

Yeah I emailed the college there anyways thanks! It's not too big of a deal to appeal it because I don't have anything to lose, I have enough points by a good bit! The college is Nuig by the way and anyone who has 560 or more is eligible and it's not means tested according to the information they give on it anyways!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

it's definitely not means tested as i know someone who got it, and she's as well off as can be. anyone who gets 560 will get the bursary.

btw welcome to NUIG :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

Nuig also offer scholarships to people who get firsts in 1st or 2nd yr. Thats any course and it can be for only one year. So if any of you miss the margin just remember that. Nice little surprise when it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Are these just for nuig?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

Other colleges may have other awards in place, i'm only aware of Nuig because thats my old college. Look up info on your colleges website, although i remember not coming across the scholars awards in nuig until I got a letter telling me I got one, thought it was a wind up. The amount isn't as huge as the scholarship based on points though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Shortsighted

Last year I knew somebody going into NUIG who got 555. Got his music paper rechecked and went up to 560 and hence was the proud recipient of a hefty cheque courtesy of NUIG. Go for it I say! :)

Advertisement