Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra Subject For Repeat Year

• 20-08-2010 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hey all, I'm wondering on what extra subject to take next year.
    I got 510 in the LC but its not enough for medicine so I will be repeating.

I did the following subjects:
    Irish
    English
    Maths
    Chemistry
    Biology
    Spanish
    DCG

All at higher besides Irish.

I would like to take up a subject which doesn't involve a project, which is considerably easy to cover in a year and which can lead to a good grade.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

I took up business from new and got an A2 yesterday. Easy subject if you go about it the right way. Plus I only started studying it post xmas following my mock type test failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ManUtdFan10

515 is an incredible result mate, fair play, is there no other way around it instead of repeating? Like some sort of PLC for 1 year that gets you into medicine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 ilikesunshine

Applied Maths started Feb 4 months b4 exams and got B2 definately would have gotten an a1 if i had the time

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

An extra subject doesn't always mean a higher result. Are you planning to replace one of your current subjects with your new subject?

I did 8 HL subjects for the Leaving Cert, and it's hard to balance 8 HL Subjects. It's ok through the year but nearer the exam, it's a lot easier to concentrate on your 6 best ones, instead of trying to spread your time out 8 ways, or even 9 ways in some cases. I'm not suggesting this is the best way to study, but I found it difficult to split my time left equally in 8. I decided not to bother studying for Irish and French, as I believed I wouldn't be including them in my best 6. Ironically, Physics didn't go as well as expected and I ended up counting Irish!

I had a friend who took up Business and got a B1, just doing it in a year. I also know someone who took up Economics and got an A1 - but he said there are parts of it that are difficult, he just took it up because the course is apparently short (I've never done Economics, I'm just going by what he says!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭i like pie

i didn't do it myself but i've heard ag science is a very good course to do in a year and an a1 is not too difficult to get! i would stay away from applied maths if you haven't done physics as it would be quite difficult to start this course from scratch in 6th year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

i like pie wrote: »
    i didn't do it myself but i've heard ag science is a very good course to do in a year and an a1 is not too difficult to get!

There is a project involved in this, or a farm visit - that needs to be signed off and everything. I'm not sure if it's suitable for self-studying!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ozzz

Thanks ManUtdFan10, No I dont think there is, the only other way I know of is the post grad route but it takes too long and I would only qualify as a doctor by the time I am 28, 29. I got 510, not 515 :)

Timbuk2, My plan is to drop down to pass English and take up an extra subject. That way I will be doing 6 Higher and 2 Pass which i think will be quite manageable. Besides, for med you have to do Irish, English and maths each year you sit your Leaving. I like maths so I will stick with honours.

I cant do ag. science because many colleges dont accept the combination with ag. science and the subjects I already take.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ManUtdFan10

ozzz wrote: »
    I got 510, not 515 :)

Well there is just a small example of my bad memory :) & why points such as 510 is something I can only dream about. Good luck anyway, hopefully you get whatever you need :D

Timbuk2, My plan is to drop down to pass English and take up an extra subject. That way I will be doing 6 Higher and 2 Pass which i think will be quite manageable. Besides, for med you have to do Irish, English and maths each year you sit your Leaving. I like maths so I will stick with honours.

Well that's fair enough then. Applied Maths wouldn't be a great option though - it isn't easy. It's a very short course but you need to be very good at maths to be good at it. I got an A2 in it yesterday, but I couldn't have gotten that if it wasn't for the help of a great teacher!

What you are looking for is a subject where things need to be read and learnt, but not necessarily explained. Business might be a good choice. I would say Geography if you were at the start of 5th year, but it is a huge course and you wouldn't get it done in detail in a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭A Changer

Economics is a great subject to pick up, particularly if you can get a great teacher for it. It's one of the shortest courses, and is raw learning. I'm not the business/science/maths type, yet I still managed a B3 out of it with one year's study.

If you're avoiding a practical, you'll have to look to the business subjects anyway. Most of the "easier" subjects, like Music or Art, do require some pre-prepared work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I would say Business or Economics would be your best bet, neither have a project, and a lot of it is learning off points, and I know Economics has a lot of applying what you know to situations. Both courses that you could cover in one year with a lot of work. But you really will have to put the work in for any subject to cover it in 1 year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Why not go down the postgrad route? Instead of risking putting in a really **** year repeating the LC and perhaps not even getting the points you need, you'll have an enjoyable 3 years in college dossing, and it's practically impossible to not get your degree.
    It may even be possible, if you discuss with the faculty and prove your capabilities, to combine two years' subjects into one year..

Ficheall wrote: »
    Why not go down the postgrad route? Instead of risking putting in a really **** year repeating the LC and perhaps not even getting the points you need, you'll have an enjoyable 3 years in college dossing, and it's practically impossible to not get your degree.
    It may even be possible, if you discuss with the faculty and prove your capabilities, to combine two years' subjects into one year..

Because I will be 27, 28 by the time I qualify and will have to pay high fees.

But thanks for the suggestion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭--SmItHy--

Since you're repeating do you want to swap results? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 aoife005

Hey all, I'm wondering on what extra subject to take next year.
    I got 510 in the LC but its not enough for medicine so I will be repeating.

I did the following subjects:
    Irish
    English
    Maths
    Chemistry
    Biology
    Spanish
    DCG

All at higher besides Irish.

I would like to take up a subject which doesn't involve a project, which is considerably easy to cover in a year and which can lead to a good grade.

Any advice would be appreciated!

You seem to like science, so do Ag science. You don't need to be interested in farming for this, a lot use this for extra points :)

Right, I just read that you can't do Ag...well I did Economics which you can get through really fast.

The only thing with business is that there is a lot to learn, so a lot of work will have to be put in. very time consuming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Mr. Plow

Hi OP well done on your result. I took up accounting at the start of this year and got an A2, If your logically minded I would definitely recommend it.

Mr. Plow wrote: »
    Hi OP well done on your result. I took up accounting at the start of this year and got an A2, If your logically minded I would definitely recommend it.

At the moment im thinkin around Economics, Accounting kind of thing.

I like maths so I'm more pushed towards accounting, isnt that a really hard, long course though?

Aoife, thanks, I'm leaning towards that kind of thing.

I like maths so I'm more pushed towards accounting, isnt that a really hard, long course though?

We were finished the syllabus before the mocks, albeit getting through the material pretty quickly. Once you grasp the basic concepts (which takes a bit of work) it all starts to make sense. The good thing I found about accounting is there is very little learning, practice is the most important thing. So coming into the home stretch all the work is done. IMO anyone who likes maths/physics/DCG would pick it up fairly easily.

Mr. Plow wrote: »
    We were finished the syllabus before the mocks, albeit getting through the material pretty quickly. Once you grasp the basic concepts (which takes a bit of work) it all starts to make sense. The good thing I found about accounting is there is very little learning, practice is the most important thing. So coming into the home stretch all the work is done. IMO anyone who likes maths/physics/DCG would pick it up fairly easily.

Was it higher level you did yea? Yea I'm the maths orientated type so I will seriously consider it, thanks dude!

• Advertisement

Was it higher level you did yea? Yea I'm the maths orientated type so I will seriously consider it, thanks dude!

Yep higher sorry. no prob good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭LadyGaga!

I'd suggest avoiding accounting if you're looking for an "easy" high grade — one mistake will pull you down a few marks and they combine topics which can be hard to apply when you've never done a Q like it before, eg Section C this year. Business is a really nice course, quite easy to cover but has a LOT of learning.

Go for Economics. I did it in a year and only had 2 classes a week of it too. The papers are usually lovely. (Don't know what happened this year though, thought it was a weird paper.) You have a brilliant choice in the exam too, being able to choose four out of eight possible questions I think....
    The short questions go for alot of marks too and they are easy enough.
    If you like maths you'll have a better understanding of this too. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭TomJoe Wallace

Wait so if I.. Just wanted to repeat higher level English to suit course requirements.. I could do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

Agricultural science is one people do solely for the points, supposed to be handy enough stuff involved, no need to be a farmer to understand it! :D

best of luck mate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

does anyone know about ag econmics ??????? I dunno anyone who ever done it - but if econmics is doable in a year and ag is doable in a year - surely ag econmics

Only about 100 people do the course so googling tells me and that there's only 72 pages on the course - Dunno anything about it myself but Christ I should have looked at that subject in hindsight....

might be worth a look

Advertisement