Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting Weights

Options
  • 20-08-2010 12:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hey Im 24 , no muscle in my arms , im a tall guy. ( Don't have a gym but I'm going to try gain arm muscles)

I have started off lifting 4.5kg weights, do i about 3rep*26 dumbell curl bicep exercises , about 3* 20, 15, 10 Flat Dumb-bell press (arms get weak :P) , and about 20 * 3 lifting weights with one knee and my sofa and lifting with one arm.

Sorry i dont know the names :P

When will i see improvements weeks ? months ? , I always lift until my arms get weak.

Oh and i take a protein shake before bed.

Am I starting off ok ? any advice? Follow my slow progress :) i'll be using this blog to motivate myself

Thanks,
    Mark

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 markbo

Well day three of my weights lifting , I do three different types of exercises .

1)* Flat Dumb-bell press
    2)* Dumbell Curl Biceps Exercise
    3)* Dumbell Biceps using a seat for my knee and doing Biceps ( both arms)

Week 1 : 4.5kg weights
    Day 1 * Forget typically like Day 3 < Twice a day!
    Day 2 * Forget typically like Day 3 < Twice a day!
    Day 3: 1= 20, 15, 10 2 = 26,26,26 3 = 22,22 < Twice a day!

After 3 days it's weird i notice a "slight" difference , well i'll keep at it and try to increase my lifts a bit each time. Helpfully this blog will keep me motivated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

If youre arms are tired for a while afterwatds, you know you've done ok. I've been lazy with the weights reccently, but hope to get back at it soon. You notice small differences prettyy quickly.

Yeah I've noticed that my arms are weak to the point i can't lift the weight also my muscles are tight for about 30mins after i do them.

I eat well during the day and protein shake at night aswell.

I'm a bit concerned why I am not sore the next day? Once I'm not sore i feel I'm not doing it right. < or maybe im wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Nah I'd say you're doing grand. You don't want to overdo it either. Keep doing the level your doing right now and you will feel an improvement in a week or two. The reason your arms aren't sore the next day is because they have been rested through sleep, if youre arms are shattered for a half hour after workout like you said then you are doing a good job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

There's no danger of you 'overdoing' it with 4.5kg, in fact there's no danger of you actually doing anything productive with 4.5kg.

Seriously though, the weights are too light and just working your arms is a bad idea. The guys I see squatting and deadlifting in the gym always look a hell of a lot better and can lift a sh!tload more, than the guys who just 'do arms' every day.

• Advertisement

I think the weights are just fine, as I have said I have no muscle at all, my arms get weak after it so i must be doing something right

markbo wrote: »
    I think the weights are just fine, as I have said I have no muscle at all, my arms get weak after it so i must be doing something right

No, they're really not. But don't take my word for it, post your workout up on the main forum and I'm sure you'll get some advice on creating a balanced program. I'm not being smart, but there's just no point wasting your time getting nowhere when you could easily get somewhere, with a decent program.

I'm going to continue for the next 3 weeks and see how I get on. 8.5kg not as i said 4.5kg :) !

This week 8.5g ( increase next week) Sorry not 4.5kg!!!

1)Flat Dumb-bell press 27, 17 ,10, 10

2)Dumbbell Curl Biceps Exercise 28, 28,28

3)Dumbell Biceps using a seat for my knee and doing Biceps ( both arms) 23 24 , 24,24

Next weight session later : Update to come

**I really should have looked at my last days lifts and went harder**

This week 8.5g ( increase next week)

1)Flat Dumb-bell press 20,20,12,10

2)Dumbbell Curl Biceps Exercise 28, 28,28

3)Dumbell Biceps using a seat for my knee and doing Biceps ( both arms) 23 23 , 23,23

Next weight session later : Update to come - > later tonight

1) 23,23,15

2) 30,30, 31

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

I'm going to continue for the next 3 weeks and see how I get on.

well in 3 weeks' time when you've got 22" guns you'll be laughing at G86 and her ridiculous advice :pac:

you're not going to see much, if any gain at all in 3 weeks. especially with the weights you have and the 'programme' you're doing. crack on with it if you want, but it would really be worth your time getting a proper programme and a gym membership. Not trying to put you down or anything, and fair play for getting off yer arse and doing something (which most people won't) but you could be using your time far more effectively.

lol at the 3 weeks , :P of course i won't get guns just wanta see will I see a slight improvement in what I can lift. I will increase the weights each week. Again I have completely no muscle in my arms lol.

About the program, I have money to go to the gym :( this is pretty much just to get muscle on my arms.

About my starting off weights 8.5kg is just right for me starting off, my muscles are very tight after I do the weights. < doesn't it depend on the person?

This may be all in my head , but I feel and see a slight change in my arms.

Ok so 5 days into it! I know 8.5kg isn't a lot but it was a good introduction I felt.

From tomorrow on Im increasing the weight . Should be interesting.

Progress : It is strange but theres some slight change in my arms but (MIRCO) :) , I'm guessing sense I'm very slim and weak this is why.

Anyway , thanks for the advice so far, wish I'd a gym to go ta but student life sucks! Im going to get a bench during the week and introduce some other forms of lifting.

Hope someone is reading my progress :) , i'm new to this , happy im sticking at it.

My weights were 8.5kg!!! <<< aaaaaaaaaah makes sense now! Sorry i said 4.5kg in the first post

I would recommend doing some squats or lunges, and some row-type motions with the weights you have, at least, if you can't afford a gym. just training your chest and biceps will leave you with imbalances and rounded shoulders.

This week 10.0g for

1)Flat Dumb-bell press 23,15,10 (8.5 kg) arms were fake after 10kg

2)Dumbbell Curl Biceps Exercise 17 ,17,17 (10kg)

3)Dumbell Biceps using a seat for my knee and doing Biceps ( both arms) 22 22,22 22 , 22 22.

I feel my muscles very tight after the increase, happy with it, i'll do that for the week.

Parsley thanks for the advice , i'll slowly add them in, I understand what you mean.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/ThighWt.html

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/BackWt.html

look under the "dumbbell" headings in those links for some ideas of what you could add in.

For some reason today I felt a lot weaker today :(

This week 10.0g for
    im
    1)Flat Dumb-bell press 23, 12 , 13 (8.5 kg) arms were fake after 10kg

2)Dumbbell Curl Biceps Exercise 18,18, 17,10 , 8,7 (10kg) (left arm , right arm)

3)Dumbell Biceps using a seat for my knee and doing Biceps ( both arms) 24 24,24 24 (10kg)

Later tonight :
    1) 22,15, 10 8.5 kg

2) 16,16 , 12 ,12 10,10 (left arm , right arm) 10kg

Due to my ****ty lifting doing another before bed! update later

Ok fast week! I defo feel there a slight change in my arms (due to my complete lack of anything there at the right )

I found 7day I felt abit weaker ok I increased to 10kg, but I under preformed from the previous day.

Should I be taking a break between weights ? or once im not sore can i continue?

1)Flat Dumb-bell press 22, 20 , 14 (8.5 kg) extra = 23 after weights

2)Dumbbell Curl Biceps Exercise 17, 12, 10 , 6 (both arm) < disappointing again :( dam arms wont left more

3)Dumbell Biceps using a seat for my knee and doing Biceps ( both arms) 24 24, 24 24(10kg)

Weirdly felt a bit dizzy after my extra 23 of (1) at the end.

I'll keep at this!!!

• Advertisement

Use the links and advice Parsley gave you. It's so frustrating when people ask questions but then just keep doing the same old thing. I know you think you're right, but the thing is - you're not. Wise up, take the advice and you'll make progress. But as it is, you're not going to. If you want to keep what you're at regardless of this, and don't want advice (which is how it seems), then stop asking questions.

Thanks for that motivational speech,

I planned to add more this week , my focus is purely on my arms at the moment.

I'm a beginner so give me a break

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Why not add more right now?

You're hardly pushing yourself to the physical limits with what you're currently doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Try this

Get a rod about foot and a half long (Broom handle cut down)
    Attach a piece of string to which you attach a weight to the other end.
    String should be about the length from the floor to your hand when held out straight in front of you.

Now quickly wind the weight up, let it out and repeat
    Great cheap way of working your wrists and forearms

R

we've just said focusing purely on your arms is a bad idea. We know you're a beginner - that's why we're trying to help you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

And that's all you'll ever be if you don't wise up and listen to the advise that's being given to you.

Seriously man, I honestly don't know whether to laugh or cry reading this log.

We're trying to help you here.

Look I know you want your arms to get bigger - grand. But the bottom line is 3 exercises a day with 10kg DB's isn't going to do that for you, beginner or no beginner. Same as I know just doing 100 sit ups a day won't give me a flat stomach. You need a balanced program with decent weights and then your overall size will increase, including your arms :)! I'm honestly not trying to dissuade you, and fair play to you for starting off; but you're going to get very frustrated very soon with lack of progress/results if you don't up the ante. Look at some of the other guys logs here - where they started and where they are now, and you'll get an idea of what you need to be doing to get the same kind of results.

Thanks, I understand yeah Im wasting my time :( , I just have stupid dumbbells, wish id a gym.

I'm waiting for an interview with a big company and they have a gym ! so hopefully if i get the job someone will make me a decent program.

I feel like just given up at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭COH

Thanks, I understand yeah Im wasting my time :( , I just have stupid dumbbells, wish id a gym.

I'm waiting for an interview with a big company and they have a gym ! so hopefully if i get the job someone will make me a decent program.

I feel like just given up at this point.

Seriously, nobody is having a go at you, why would you give up? Being a beginner is fine, but all people are trying to help you with is beginning the right way.

Between bodyweight exercises and a set of dumbbells there's literally hundreds of exercices you could be doing using every muscle in your body, not just your arms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I'm going to deviate from my usual behaviour and try to make a helpful post here:

There's plenty you can do with just your own bodyweight and with only light dumbells, odds are the progress you make won't be as good as you could do with a full gym of equipment but you won't be wasting your time by any means. This is just an idea to get you started

Back:
    If you can splash out for a pull up bar
    http://www.irish-lifting.com/doorway-gym-pe-270.html
    You can do chin ups, pull ups, wide grip, narrow grip.

Legs:

Bodyweight squats
    Split squats http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/DBSplitSquat.html
    Lunges http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/DBLunge.html

Chest:

Pushups, maybe mess about here with various grips
    Maybe try work up to Hindu pushups http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax_yqdvyscU
    Dumbell flyes http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralSternal/DBFly.html

Triceps:
    Chair Dips http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu3O1336T2s

Shoulders:
    You can do a variety of flyes, raises with your dumbells http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidLateral/DBLateralRaise.html
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidAnterior/DBFrontRaise.html

These are just a few ideas to introduce some variety into what you're doing, you need to be creative yourself and make the most of the equipment you have. I'm by no means an authority on this sort of stuff so hopefully some of the others will toss in a few ideas aswell.

Advertisement