Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How fit are you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

A healthy BMI is roughly 18 to 25 but is recommended you'd have a least 19 and not more than 24.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Whats your body fat % out of interest?

I dread to think :o

But honestly I've no idea. I gain fat on my tummy mostly, my legs, shoulders, back & arms would be pretty muscled up year round. And I'm lifting/training long enough now that I really don't drop strength gains.

My cardio can suffer big time, but I know how to dig in deep and get the job done, so I don't suffer too long before I'm back up to a very good level of fitness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

A healthy BMI is roughly 18 to 25 but is recommended you'd have a least 19 and not more than 24.

That's pretty much the same thing.

Its even heathier to ignore BMI charts - for an athlete they're meaningless.

Indeed for anyone with an active lifestyle they're meaningless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

I'm fairly sexy I must admit :cool:

*I'm not really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

bmi doesn't take into account lifestyle e.g. arnold schwarzenegger would be considered obese in his bodybuilding prime according to bmi

as for me, not really fit at all despite only weighing 12 stone at 5'11, i climbed crough patrick the other week and while it was easy coming down it was tough in parts going up, i am asthmaic and the weather was awful but my friend ran up it so i can't use that as an excuse :(

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Patdusty2010

rossie1977 wrote: »
    bmi doesn't take into account lifestyle e.g. arnold schwarzenegger would be considered obese in his bodybuilding prime according to bmi

as for me, not really fit at all despite only weighing 12 stone at 5'11, i climbed crough patrick the other week and while it was easy coming down it was tough in parts going up, i am asthmaic and the weather was awful but my friend ran up it so i can't use that as an excuse :(

Your friend isn't doing gfw by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Super fit, 1 1/2 hours exercise every morning (weights and body weight exercise some yoga) and run 3-4 miles every other day. I run a competitive 5k every month. Have pretty much stuck to that distance but will be running my first half next year back to back with a 5k. Fitness has become an obsession with me but it has given me so much confidence and really changed my life around over the past few years.

I wake up early, feel good and eat very well. A well oiled machine at this stage. I don't have cravings for junk food but every once in a while spoil myself. I am not going back to feeling like shite again. :) I am a very lean 57kg right now.

Ruu wrote: »
    I am a very lean 57kg right now.

Sweet God - you a man aren't you?.

Sorry, not slagging you. This may sound silly, but I convert people's weight into fighting weights all the time - sorry, silly I know.

Well done on the rest, its a wonderful feeling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

I'd put myself around 6-7. This time last year I'd have been around 9 though as I was training for the Dublin Marathon at the time while hurling three times a week. This year there's no marathon but still hurling three times a week (trainingx2+match) I run once or twice a week (5-7mi) and walk alot of places, I dont do gym work at all, so no lifting only cardio.

• Advertisement

I'd put myself around 6-7. This time last year I'd have been around 9 though as I was training for the Dublin Marathon at the time while hurling three times a week. This year there's no marathon but still hurling three times a week (trainingx2+match) I run once or twice a week (5-7mi) and walk alot of places, I dont do gym work at all, so no lifting only cardio.

Tough sport Hurling, mucho respect amigo.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

I'm in almost the worst shape of my life right now. I'd say I'm a 3-4. I have good ability to suffer so could probably do better than that.

I used to cycle (Race) wasn't a pick of fat on me. Played a lot of football too & a bit of track & field. I had a resting pulse of 36!!!! It's seriously good, believe me. :eek:

Then I discovered beer, bought a car & a playstation :(

Actually, if anyone in here wants to get into the shape of their life & by that I mean seriously conditioned, toned, strong & just about able for anything life throws at you, not to mention increasing your confidence & general well being, then you need to get your ass in too MMA.

Ask Makikomi, he seems to know his stuff :D

I've pushed myself till I collapsed on a bike & done the same on the track & field but never in my life did I feel as physically destroyed or tested as when I rolled with a few friends in MMA class a few years back. I actually retched but managed to swallow & not hurl everywhere.

The worst part about it was........... it was only the warm up!!!!!!!!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Ask me a month ago and id have said 7/8 but now with my back in bits id say 2/3. Think its time i trumped up the bucks for an MRI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I rarely exercise so I'm actually fairly unfit. I'm not fat but I do sit on my arse all day so have no endurance. I've recently started trying to ease myself into a proper routine though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I used to be ridiculously fit. Did gymnastics, karate, dance and rowing. Spent my life training. Was even working in a gym and a leisure centre for a few years. I then injured my knee badly so that stopped any bit of exercise I had going. I don't exercise much these days but when I do I seem to be pretty fit. I can keep up with friends of mine that train a few days a week..woo! Lots of room for improvement though. I'd say about 6/10 :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,330 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I was about 9.

Then Call of Duty happened.

Probably about 6 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    I was about 9.

Then Call of Duty happened.

Probably about 6 now.

First body then mind ;) Im training the latter first. Skinny and unfit, so a 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭irishlad_85

I'm very unfit currently due to an injured back, but usually i'd like to keep myself around a 7.!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭irishlad_85

My finger muscles have improved but the rest of me hasn't from playing too much Call of Duty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

I'd say 7 at the moment. Three or four months ago I would have been 3 or 4. Been running 5-6 times a week, doing between 40-60km per week, plus sit ups & push ups.

Dropped a few kg's and have about 5 more to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Fitter than I was around 2 months ago. So I'd say around 4 ish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

I'd give myself an 8. Martial arts 2 hours a night 6 nights a week. Still not as fit as I was when I was playing GAA/Rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I was I'd say maybe an 8 when I was playing for my football team. Training 2 nights a week for 2 hours, match at the weekend then aswell.

Fell ill then, now God nows, maybe a 4? An hour of astro a week and weights once a week, do stomach crunches maybe 3 times a week aswell.

Shocked at people giving themselves 9s and 10s, run 26 miles everyday for the rest of your life? Yous shouldn't be wasting your time on here lads! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I'd like to think i'm fit enough. I'm working on it and would say i'm currently 6.5 on the fitness level. you don't have to be slim to be fit either just ask roy nelson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

I can run 10k despite smoking 20 a day and I can easily do 20 chin-ups. A bit on the skinny side though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I'd say I'm up to about a 7 now, play football 2 or 3 times every week. About 12 months ago I'd have been a 3 or 4!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭King Felix

I'm fit from doing martial arts.

Gonna fight in 5 weeks so I have to get fighting fit. Gotta stop the smokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I'm a lot fitter now than what i was 6 months ago. Swimming is great for keeping fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

About 4 and that's as far up the scale as I will ever be, imagine being at 10 and dying what a fookin waste of time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Would have been about an 8. Running daily for an hour no problem. Then started smoking daily, prob about a 5 now =[

Depends on the activity though.. could brisk walk all day no bother, just the jogging/running is a bit tough without getting breathless!

Advertisement