Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How fit are you?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

I used to be bout an 8 with 5 days a week ballet training for 2-3 hours a day

Now I reckon Im about a 4, go to the gym once a week or so, although I aim for 3 it never happens! But I walk everywhere aswell so would be average Id say, and Im slimmer now than when I was really really physically fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

Ran 3.15 in the Cork City Marathon in June, aiming for sub-3 in Dublin in Oct. I'm running about 50 miles a week as well as playing squash and swimming a few times a week.

I'd put myself as about a 7, and personally I reckon people here are seriously overestimating their own fitness levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

I'd say a 7, go to the gym 5 times a week, hoping to continue my mma training in October, need to be a bit bigger and stronger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,944 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

If you asked me this 5 years ago, I would have said 7. I did Irish dancing, swimming, gaelic football and soccer.

Now, I'm probably a measly 3 or 4 but I have taken up a bit of swimming again and I'm playing soccer 2 or 3 times a week for the past year. Last summer I did a lot of the gym but shin splints and Kingfisher taking over our local gym meant I could neither run properly or afford to go to the gym anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭ceannair06

Jeez, I was going to say 4 or 5 but then I heard people who do hurling and MMA saying they're a 7!!

Am overweight but trying to get fit and i do over an hour in the gym three times a week and swim for the other two.

I'm not fit enough to jog or run full time yet so I do some road walking at weekends, about 13km at the mo but hoping to up it to 15km before years end.

Oh yeah and I walk about 8km a day to and from work.

Funny thing - got sniggered at in the gym not long ago by these two half wit bints with their little Nike shorts on ("snigger look at her, the machine will break hur hur").

One gets on the rower and does 1 minute 12 seconds (yes, I counted!) then gets off and goes "let's go the sauna".

LESSON - SKINNY DOES NOT EQUAL FIT!!

Thanks for the inspiration on here guys - jeez, still coudn't hurl three times a week, fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I wouldn't call myself super-fit. But I'm no slob either. Used to be a wee fat bastard in school, and one summer, I spent every single day exercising as much as I could. Shed about 3 stone in 4 months. Since then, I've stayed as fit as I can. Run twice a week, play football once a week. Walk as much as I can. Used to be in the gym, but thanks to a severe lack of disposable income, had to drop that. At least the chin-up bar in my flat gets a fairly good seeing to every other day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

4 / 5 at best. Really let myself go lately. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I have to say that by improving my fitness over the last year or so it's made me kinda mad that I sepnt so long at a 2 or 3 level. Should have done it years ago, it's the healthiest, fittest and slimest I've been since I was about 16 I'd say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I'd say i'm between 7 - 8 play 11 a side football every week and 5 a side most other nights. To be honest since I started going back and playing I couldn't imagine sitting on the couch every night again I love being active and when I'm not playing i'm usually out running with the dogs..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I thought I would be abount a 5 but played my first game of football in ages a few weeks ago...spent most of it in goal as i'm a 3 at best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Out of 10, I'd say 6 in terms of fitness.

Used to race (bikes road racing) years ago : raced in the Ras etc.
    Was superfit back then.
    Used to train/race hundreds of miles per week.

I still ride the bike and do a lot of touring as opposed to racing.
    Did the Wicklow 200 this years (200 kilometres across the Wicklow mountains with 14 hr time limit).

Did it in 9hrs 20-odd minutes.

Not bad for a 45 year old I suppose.

But there are much older people out there who are far fitter than me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Hmmmm...its hard to say. Like, what sport is the benchmark to compare yourself to?

I will give myself a 5. I exercise maybe 4-5 times a week (either hiking for long periods, or else jogging etc), and train in my sport once a week. But I wouldn't be able to run a marathon. 26 miles? Yikes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Tbh I dont think theres a real difference (unless of course your morbidly obese) as theres plenty of "fat" fit people and im sure the same amount of skinny people who would get out of breath running for the bus. It just depends on how well you take care of yourself either way.

And thats my 2 cents :D

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Hmmmm...its hard to say. Like, what sport is the benchmark to compare yourself to?

I will give myself a 5. I exercise maybe 4-5 times a week (either hiking for long periods, or else jogging etc), and train in my sport once a week. But I wouldn't be able to run a marathon. 26 miles? Yikes!

Just because you wouldnt be able to run a marathon doesnt mean you're not super fit! Usian Bolt would be seriously fit but I bet he wouldnt beat a decent marathon runner.

I'd give myself an 8. Im not a marathon runner by any means but I train 5-6 times a week,mostly SAQ training..So I would be fairly fast and agile.But ask me to run constantly for an hour and I'd fall down :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

I'm probably about a 2/3 but improving. In the last 2 months I've started doing some running and train martial arts 2 nights a week. I'm going to be moving house soon so when I do I plan on joining a gym and using it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

I'm gonna guess at somewhere between 5-6, more likely closer to the 5. This is still about as fit as I have ever been. I cycle most weekends now, usually anything between 70 and 100km, but have done longer on occasion. Spins would often be around the Wicklow Mountains, so a nice challenge. In addition to this, I'd usually play at least 3-4 games of 5-a-side soccer per week, and a game of handball each week too. Not much of a runner, but did the 5 mile in the Phoenix Park in about 48 mins without killing or knackering myself on no specific training, so was happy with that. Probably could have done it faster, but in the absence of training, I was pessimistic in pacing myself, rather than burning out too early. Resting HR these days would probably be in or around 44bpm, at least it was that when just took it sitting at the desk here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

Would give myself a strongly improving six. Tend to do 40 km a week in the gym on the treadmill + bike.

Have begun moving to more long distance running now and have about 12 miles in my legs at a decent pace before i begin to tire.

Was hoping to do the marathon, but think i've left the training too late.

Advertisement