Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mafia 2 No Multiplayer mode, Why?

Options
  • 20-08-2010 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

I have read that Mafia 2 has no multiplayer. This game has been in development for three years, why not? It seems a bit lazy and sloppy! A multiplayer mode is generally expected in open world games thesedays! Imagine Red Dead Redemption, GTA4 etc.. without a MP mode! The annoying thing is the SP mode seems to be great from the demo. So a MP mode in 50's NYC Mafia world would have been excellent!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

All games don't need a multiplayer mode. In fact I usually don't bother with them. If the game gives me a good single player experience I'm happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

What he said ^

I played GTA SA more than I have played MW2... and that is a LOT

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    All games don't need a multiplayer mode. In fact I usually don't bother with them. If the game gives me a good single player experience I'm happy.
    Quoted for truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

jock101 wrote: »
    Imagine Red Dead Redemption, GTA4 etc.. without a MP mode!

Just did and I imagined the Red Dead Redemption that I'm currently playing through in singleplayer and loving. I also imagined the upcoming singleplayer DLC and wished they would skip the 3 useless (to me) multiplayer DLC packs and release the singleplayer one sooner...

I for one am glad that they've left the multiplayer aspect out of Mafia II, it means they have (hopefully) spent more development hours fine tuning the singleplayer experience that would have otherwise been wasted tacking on an extra "cops and robbers" mode or whatever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

I played Red Dead Redemption and GTA IV online and although the latter had some pretty decent online modes, the novelty of sand box multiplayer games does wear off a lot quicker than say an FPS like MW2. I am kind of glad that the developers decided to create a stronger, more detailed, and more involving single player at the expense of online community gaming.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Mafia II Multiplayer DLC, only 2000 Microsoft points. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Im glad there is no multiplayer as i only play games on single player or 2 player if its split screen etc and it pisses me of when a game is relly short because they have put in more work in to the multiplayer part of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Polar101

I absolutely hate multiplayer modes in games that are primarily single-player. I never played the online mode in GTA4, as it doesn't interest me at all. The only reason I'd play it is because of the trophies, but I find it annoying when developers add online trophies to games such as this. Even Peggle has online trophies, which is ridiculous.

GTA4 is probably a bad example as I understand the multiplayer mode is decent.. but there are plenty of games where the multiplayer adds nothing at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

jock101 wrote: »
    I have read that Mafia 2 has no multiplayer...why not?

coz after talking to jack scallici, they wanted as good a single player experience as possible rather than throwing devs onto multiplayer and having an ok campaign and an ok multiplayer

its a story based game (and is very linear in terms of the storyline because of it, which i think should be applauded in this day and age... only one ending - whod have thunk it!), and they wanted to get the story right

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Game is made for SP, adding in MP would be half assed and ****e.

games have to either SP and MP from the beginning, tacking on bits doesnt work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Tallon wrote: »
    What he said ^

I played GTA SA more than I have played MW2... and that is a LOT

Pity GTA4's MP couldn't be as good on the PC.

As far as I understand all moddings been killed off with that game also so people can't mod it into a better MP game.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

GTA:SA is a fine example of multiplayer, despite it being created entirely by the gaming community.

I don't like all this emphasis on multiplayer in the last few years. It just feels like games you get feel less like an experience in single player and more like a demo for what the multiplayer will be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Nevermind the multi-player, why have they got rid of the speeding tickets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

silvine wrote: »
    Nevermind the multi-player, why have they got rid of the speeding tickets?

they havent

i got a $50 fine yesterday for speeding

Advertisement