Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taxi rank rant

• 20-08-2010 1:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭

Ok so city council did something good for change and changed a lot of the parking to 2 hour. But wtf is the story with all the taxi ranks on O'Connell street now. Was in there during the day, taxi ranks and taxis everywhere. Doesn't seem to be so many customers around. Anyone else think the number of taxi spaces is nuts.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

No where to pull in when you wanna pick up a takeaway like!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭everyday taxi

I would urge all to complain in writing to

irish taxi regulator
    35 fitzwilliam sq
    dublin 2.

Tell her she is unfit for office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

i always wondered why the taxi bay isnt outside pennys instead. i mean there is alot of unused road right there. having the taxi rank there would still be ok for pedestrians as taxis wouldnt exactl be driving fast in the rank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

Icky Thump wrote: »
    i always wondered why the taxi bay isnt outside pennys instead. i mean there is alot of unused road right there. having the taxi rank there would still be ok for pedestrians as taxis wouldnt exactl be driving fast in the rank.

Apparently they tried that before, but the taxi drivers were complaining that they were having problems joining the traffic. All they had to do was have the taxi's exiting the rank at Arthurs Quay instead of at Roches Stores and the problem would have been null and void.

Op the rank was moved because of the work being done on Sarsfield st. The only problem is that the street will be narrower with wider footpaths when the work is finished. so the rank will probably wind up staying there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

Has there been an increase in taxis or are people just not using them as much anymore... last weekend, there were hundreds (slight exaggeration) of them everywhere! We dont need them lining O Connell St!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Captain Average

Has there been an increase in taxis or are people just not using them as much anymore... last weekend, there were hundreds (slight exaggeration) of them everywhere! We dont need them lining O Connell St!

There are a lot of people doing taxi work illegally now. Sharing plates with others, keeping a car on the road 24/7, but only one registered driver for the plate. Most of these people doing this are also drawing dole money. So if you get into a car, and there is no official identification and taxi badge, get a different cab, and take note of the plate number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You would have thought the Council would have learned from William Street where they put the rank on the wrong side of the road, where it is dangerous and stupid for customers to be climbing into a taxi on the road rather than on the footpath. Yet they do the same thing now on O'Connell Street???

And don't get me started on the Taxi Regulator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 frankied1

seeing as i use taxi regularly and im not a driver it doesnt bother me. But yeah there definitely is far more than then there is a need for the poor beggers cant be making much money for all the time they are out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

foinse wrote: »
    Apparently they tried that before, but the taxi drivers were complaining that they were having problems joining the traffic. All they had to do was have the taxi's exiting the rank at Arthurs Quay instead of at Roches Stores and the problem would have been null and void.

They should definitely do that again, once sarsfield street reopens. Might make cruises street area more popular for foot traffic too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

what if they built some sort of tunnel under the road at sarsfield street that the taxis just pop up out of when you need one. they could toll it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I said it before when Taxi drivers were moaning about using outside Pennys. They could use the Arthurs Quay as the end of the rank so when outside Pennys was full they could start qeueing over by Arthurs Quay and then feed around the corner(create a new Taxi only one way) and have them filter into traffic.

There should be no issue with them turning up William Street because when they were on Sarsfield Street they happily, and illegaly, turned across two lanes of traffic to head up O'Connel Street.

However, as easy as that sounds, I would prefer outside Pennys to be pedestrianised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭black & white

Berty wrote: »
    I said it before when Taxi drivers were moaning about using outside Pennys. They could use the Arthurs Quay as the end of the rank so when outside Pennys was full they could start qeueing over by Arthurs Quay and then feed around the corner(create a new Taxi only one way) and have them filter into traffic.

There should be no issue with them turning up William Street because when they were on Sarsfield Street they happily, and illegaly, turned across two lanes of traffic to head up O'Connel Street.
    However, as easy as that sounds, I would prefer outside Pennys to be pedestrianised.

That's for sure, and many of them would just pull out regardless without an indicator or a wave.

That's for sure, and many of them would just pull out regardless without an indicator or a wave.

Or they would simply park on the pedestrian crossing diagonally across the street waiting for the green light.

Chancers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Limerick like every other town/city in Ireland is absolutely flooded with taxis. I myself drive a taxi but moved from the town out into the country and now operate as a hackney working from home. The boredom of sitting in a car for hours on end until I got a fare was soul destroying, esp. having to chat with the old farts complaining about the 'foreigners' as it were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

but taxi drivers own the road, dont you know this? indicators are against taxi regulations, they learn that the day they're handed their taxi plate and a copy of the The Sun, which dispenses all their worldly advice and knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

its true that they own the road how could anyone forget that.

it is totally stupid having to step out into the traffic to get into a taxi, maybe when someone gets a slap of a car they might change it

kilburn wrote: »
    its true that they own the road how could anyone forget that.

it is totally stupid having to step out into the traffic to get into a taxi, maybe when someone gets a slap of a car they might change it

I never thought of that actually. Come to think of it why did they not put the rank on the other side of the road. Bus stop my arse. No bus every picked up passengers there afaik. If they do they could just temporarily move that bus up to where the new BBs is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

Op the rank was moved because of the work being done on Sarsfield st. The only problem is that the street will be narrower with wider footpaths when the work is finished. so the rank will probably wind up staying there.

but if they where parked outside Pennys all they would have to do is join traffic when the lights turn green. it (the taxi rank outside pennys) would just act as a seperate lane of traffic. i cant see how this would be a problem.

but people are right taxi drivers do own the road:rolleyes:

walking down high street sometimes in the evening the taxis will park in the middle of the road if they cant get into the rank..................... if there is no space then they should f**k off to a rank with space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Icky Thump wrote: »
    but if they where parked outside Pennys all they would have to do is join traffic when the lights turn green. it (the taxi rank outside pennys) would just act as a seperate lane of traffic. i cant see how this would be a problem.

Then there would be three lanes of traffic merging into two. At the moment, outside Brown Thomas there are only two lanes, so the taxi rank would have to merge with the lane the other side of the flower pots outside Penneys.

osarusan wrote: »
    Then there would be three lanes of traffic merging into two. At the moment, outside Brown Thomas there are only two lanes, so the taxi rank would have to merge with the lane the other side of the flower pots outside Penneys.

How about just let Taxi drivers use Cruises Street to pick up fares. Nobody else uses cruises street as it is. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

They could move the taxi rank to the crescent altogether, might have some fares to pick up then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

osarusan wrote: »
    True, which is why this suggestion earlier in the thread seems a perfect solution.
    . All they had to do was have the taxi's exiting the rank at Arthurs Quay instead of at Roches Stores and the problem would have been null and void.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Handyman1

zuroph wrote: »
    what if they built some sort of tunnel under the road at sarsfield street that the taxis just pop up out of when you need one. they could toll it.

:):):) Wicked ;)

Advertisement