Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disgaea 3

Options
  • 20-08-2010 2:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Anyone ever play this ?? It's a turn based JRPG! Kinda like old final fantasy games in a way. I highly recommend it if you like turn-based games!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's nothing like final fantasy???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 GOSullivan27

Well the turn-based side of it :P .. It's good anyway!! Can't really compare it to any other game! You have/play it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

It's like Final Fantasy Tactics or Tactics Ogre if you must compare it to other games. It's a very good game and highly addictive if you like these kind of games.

Yep, endless hours can be played on this game!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Have it, only played it once though as I was still pouring hours into the PSP version of the first. Great games though. Sense of humour, deep gameplay, and probs the most definitive take on the joys of levelling up!

• Advertisement

What's the PSP version like ? And yes 9999 levels is something else!! :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Very, very good indeed! Not quite as complicated as the mechanics in three, and based on my short time with 3, a more charismatic cast of characters. It's cheap on PSN, highly recommended!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I've never had the patience for an SRPG on a console, much less a Disgaea game.

I played a bit of Jeanne D'arc on PSP though, which seemed much more accessible. Not sure if you can go to level 9000 though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's basically a port of the first Disgaea which is supposedly excellent. I got turned off the series by La Pucelle tactics but must give it a proper go because I hear the disgaea series is so much better than La Pucelle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I actually did EVERYTHING in the first Disgaea on PS2, which had my playtime at a slightly embarrassing 180 hours (and is reflected in my username).

I was going to beat the PSP one over the DS one, since the DS suffered badly in the music and voice-acting departments despite having slightly more features; but a couple of hours in I decided that maybe I had spent enough time on this game.

But FYI the portable games added:
    • Etna mode
    • Japanese language option
    • Rerecorded audio on Etna's voice acting since her actress changed from Disgaea 2 onwards
    • The ability to skip battle animations (I would have KILLED for this on the PS2)
    • Added Pleinair as a playable character
    • Added secret bosses from other N1 games that came out after Disgaea (Makai Kingdom, Disgaea 2)
    • Multiplayer (!)

The only thing the portable games outright lost over the original was this song that plays during the Maderas and Baal battles, since the rights lapsed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Hush Cat

I'm actually a big fan of RPG's and don't mind tactical RPG's, but for the reason mentioned above, it has put me off the game. That and the fact that they all look very samey whenever ive seen a friend of mine play these in the past.

How could anyone build up to level 9999. Is there any way of leveling up quicker than you'd do normally to achieve this in a human lifetime?

Appartently there's loads of post game content that lets you level up very quickly. I've also heard that you can beat the game at much lower levels without over levelling but you miss out on all the optional bosses which are the real meat of the game.

The last boss of Disgaea is Lv.75

The last secret optional boss is Lv.6000 (I beat him with a team of 10 characters around Lv.1200)

Level 9999 is wholly optional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Hush Cat

So how long would it actually take theoretically to get your party up to 9999? How long did it take to get to 1200 as well?

Not sure about the levelling, but as I said it took me 180 hours to do everything in the game (kill all the optional secret bosses)

9999 isn't even really the level limit as at any point you can "re-incarnate" a character to Lv.1 (You can change them to whatever you want at this point), and put their levels into their base stats.

Between this and the ability to level up weapons and equipment, you can easily have a Lv.1 character able to far outstrip characters at much higher levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Hush Cat wrote: »
    So how long would it actually take theoretically to get your party up to 9999? How long did it take to get to 1200 as well?
    It's been a while but I think you can get a character from level 1 to 1000+ in around 3 hours when playing new game plus. Anything beyond that is pointless. Leveling up weapons and armor in the right way also highly amplifies your stats. Stop focusing so much on reaching level caps.

Disgaea 4!

Hopefully the sprites will be a bit more high-def this time :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Hopefully the sprites will be a bit more high-def this time :pac:

When i watching the trailer, i was so sure from seen the graphics that it was going to be a PSP release.

Advertisement