Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toenail surgery

Options
  • 20-08-2010 2:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any advice. I have had a fungal problem in my big toenail for a few years, after an illness I had. I have been attending chiropodists getting the nail cut back but I have hardly any nailbed left and the nail is growing in all the time. The visits to the chiropodists have been really painful! Anyway last time I went the chiropodist said I may need to get the nail entirely removed. He said he could do this with local anaesthetic. He seems very professional but I don't know if maybe I should attend the doctor instead and get it done as an outpatient at a hospital. Has anyone had this type of surgery and where was it done? I don't know whether to stick with the chiropodist or whether its a case for the doctor at this stage. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I had this about 10 years ago and the OTC anti-fungals weren't having any impact. My doctor was able to prescribe some stronger medication that had to be taken 1 week in 4 for 6 months, cleared up the problem and I have perfect nails ever since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

i think you should speak to your doctor, medication may be able to solve the problem

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement