Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Onion with wierd flower like bulb on top

Options
  • 20-08-2010 6:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭

I put a supermarket onion into the ground a few weeks ago and it sprouted garlic like leaves and now has a white bulb on top of the stems in the center. Is this a flower-can i propagate the seeds from this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Leave it a bit longer and it will open into a globe shaped flower, very pretty. It might set seed, if it does you can plant them.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TheFatMan

Growing onions from seed in Ireland is way too much work. Buy Onion sets and plant them at the end of March with spuds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭hello932

TheFatMan wrote: »
    Growing onions from seed in Ireland is way too much work. Buy Onion sets and plant them at the end of March with spuds.

why so? do onions take long to mature from seed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

looks like this eventually CD9C2C70738841D5B3EA9B602811FA1F-0000336223-0001868661-00800L-1D63C2105DD544F180B838CB6BD5CBC3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That is lovely - I would love to grow the Christophii but I keep losing them in the weeds :D

OP it takes a long season to grow onions from seed and its a bit fiddly, worth a try though if you like a challenge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

the old boys in my area used to put the onion sets down in early febuary, they lifted them on st andrews day, then put down garlic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

flutered wrote: »
    the old boys in my area used to put the onion sets down in early febuary, they lifted them on st andrews day, then put down garlic.

What day is St. Andresw day? If growing from seed when should you start. Are they a good companion plant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭hello932

What day is St. Andresw day? If growing from seed when should you start. Are they a good companion plant.

Onions are a member of the allium family and so yes they are a companion plant. I cant remember the specifics but i think they repel greenfly and slugs. Can someone else confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

hello932 wrote: »
    Onions are a member of the allium family and so yes they are a companion plant. I cant remember the specifics but i think they repel greenfly and slugs. Can someone else confirm this?

dont know about greenfly, but slugs will not touch any member of the onion family

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

if i remember correctly st andrews day is the 21st june, it was always this date that they lifted them, as for the rest of you query i do not know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭qzy

johndoe99 wrote: »
    dont know about greenfly, but slugs will not touch any member of the onion family

...but snails will

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

qzy wrote: »
    ...but snails will

ive been growing onions, leeks and scallions for over 25 years and snails will not touch them

My suggestion to avoid the seeds is its fiddly and you loose a lot of them along the way (or I did at least) always have much more success with the sets.

Nothing eats my onions except my father in law but I'm not allowed classify him as a pest as he does a lot of odd jobs around the house.

Late Feb seems very early to be putting things in the ground here, but I might give it a go.

I pulled the last of mine this weekend and hung them to dry out. They taste amazing. We've been eating fried onions off the grill all summer.

I don't mind fiddly too much as long as the seedling aren't insanely fickle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

johndoe99 wrote: »

Except mine, I've had slug eat through the stem of my onions. In fact I had a few resting inside the stem. Won't touch the bulb tho.

How long does it take to dry when they are hung, is it ok to do this under a leanto?

Hi Dr. Evil

Takes about a 4-10 days to dry out depending on where you have them.
    Wherever you put them they should have plenty of air cirulating around them, if left touching anything damp they may go soft and mouldy. I try trim them of the bulk of the green parts before I set them to dry, this speeds things up and means I dont trim them again once they are dried out.

Drying out really intensifies the flavour. Straight from the ground mine are really sweet and fragrant. Once dry they make you cry like a 4 year old lost in Arnotts.

This year I hung mine on my pea frames and left them out in the air for nearly 2 weeks. They go the occassional shower fall on them but they still dried out well and I didnt loose any, except a few to the father-in-law.

Cheers

Advertisement