Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Lads with semi automatic .22 rifle on Coney Sat 14th

Options
  • 20-08-2010 7:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

OK, I was lucky enough to have spent last weekend on Coney Island. On Sat morning about 10am ish two young lads arrived over to Cartys Strand and I noticed they were carrying an impressive looking firearm. I started to chat them and ended up (with their permission:)) firing off a few rounds at a safe target. It was exciting and thanks lads! The thing is, I have their lens caps from the scope. I am a bit of an equipement geek and feel bad that I inadvertently put the plastic lens covers in my pocket.

So if any of you know who these lads might be then please get in touch, I would like to return them. The Rifle was a semi-automatic 'assult' type and I doubt there are too many knocking about.

Any help appreciated,

BB

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

this post is worrying.....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

If its a licensed firearm why is it worrying? A .22 is perfectly legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

IANAL, but you may wish to review the firearms legislation in this country. You may only possess a firearm if you have a firearms training certificate, and are being supervised by a certificate-holder for that gun. Also, this only applies to unrestricted firearms, I believe some semi-automatics fall on the restricted list, again I'm not sure about this.

In relation to finding the two lads, perhaps make enquiries with some shooting clubs, there's one in Riverstown, Lough Bo. You could also try some dealers, I know Barton Smith in Sligo is one.

Alternatively the local Garda super might be able to help out, he'd have approved the certificate for the gun, he might be able to figure out who it was, but keep my opening paragraph in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Semi-auto .22 rifles are not restricted more than any other .22 rifle. Some firearms officers (designated Garda) may be less inclined to licence them to certain people, but there is no legal restriction beyond that of a bolt action rifle. It's usually down to the preference of the person buying the gun. Personally, I like the action of working the bolt myself and the nice sound it makes. And semi-autos always have a live round in the chamber, so care is needed with the safety always engaged when not actively shooting.
    Large bore rifles such as .303, 5.56mm etc. are restricted to people holding a deer licence, or people who are experienced shooters and can cite a valid reason for applying for them. Obviously, fully automatic guns are prohibited completely.
    Allowing someone to fire a gun under your supervision shouldn't cause any problems as long as the gun owner is on land by the land owners permission, their own land or land used be their gun club.
    If you think the guys were local (more than likely) and if you have any idea what make of gun it was or a good description, there's a good chance it was bought in Barton Smith's. Pop in and ask for Gerry. He might be able to check the records.
    If that doesn't work, don't fret. Lens caps are widely available and not expensive.

Advertisement