Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acceptable age to sleep alone

• 20-08-2010 8:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭

A sweet and simple one ladies, at what age is it recommended that a child sleep in a room by itself, Aidan is now 18 months old (where has the time gone) and he is still in with me. Is it time he had the room to himself???

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You'll get all manner of answers on this I expect, form one month to a year but I'd say most people would consider it high time the child slept oln his own at 18 months if there is a spare room for him.

We're having the opposite dilemma - when and how to move the one year old in with her three year old brother. We just can't figure out how to do it so they don't wake one another up all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Both my girls were in their own room from maximum 12 weeks, for the simple reason that daddy snores... he wakes them up with his snoring, they wake him up with their crying, we were all awake, it was bad.

If there's room for mr. Man to have his own room then go for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

I thought the official recommendation was 6 months.

Our daughter was moved out with 4 months, and it was the best for all of us. She slept better and so did we.

My sister's son was moved to his own room straight from hospital, and he is sleeping through like a trooper (7pm to 8am).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

It's up to yourself wolfpawnat. Some people keep their kids in with them for years.

Personally though I was delighted to get James into his own room, we all got more sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭cowhands

We moved our daughter into her own room at 4 months. Again like the other poster above, daddy gets up early for work and woke the little one all the time. She is a brilliant sleeper now too from 8 pm - 7 /8 am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

we put our little man in on his own around 14 weeks i think,he was a great sleeper never woke for feeds or anything,he used to sleep from 7-8 no bother.i think at 18 months he needs his own room,but some people think different.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My little girl was a year due to a house move and getting her room sorted. She loves having her own room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I just feel it is starting to get to an age where it is getting a bit odd. He is a little boy and he does need his own space too! He is a good sleeper, 8.30 to 6. Want to get him to sleep longer though!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭alibride

hey its really up to you - when you want to move them
    my fella starting sleeping the nite at 3 mths so we moved him into his own room at 4 mths (as daddy used to wake him when he was using the en suite shower).
    the next one will be going in as soon as it starts sleeping the nite, because we both got a much better nites sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

Jack was moved into his own room at 3 weeks! He was and still is the noisiest sleeper and we weren't getting any sleep with him beside us. We'd be jumping up thinking he was awake and he was still sound asleep. A few times I had picked him up because he'd made noises and I was sure he was awake only to realise he was still asleep.
    I hear everything, even when he's down the hall, now that he can move he will actually sit up in the cot in his sleep and then fall back down again. I go in after he goes to sleep to tidy up his toys and he moves so much it's unreal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I thought the doctor's recommendation was minimum of 6 months in parent's room, because the risk of SIDS goes down significantly after that.

Personally, it depends on your situation but I would say about a year is good, as they should be able to sleep through consistently by then. We kept the twins in our room for 14 months, and with this one we'll probably move her around the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

Well he is definetly not too young to be in his own room just use your baby monitors if he is out of hearing range. It will probably be a bit easier to move him now than in 6months. I would imagine it will be nice for you not to be tiptoeing around when you go off to bed. All my kids were around a year when they slept in their own rooms it was a little strange for them at first but if you peservere he will adapt soon enough best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mohawk

We tried moving our son to his own room at 6 months. It backfired so we moved him back to our room. We moved him out again when he was 11 months and two months later we are all happy. I didn't want to wait any longer as the older they are the more difficult it can be to change any part of their routine.
    Best of luck

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

silja wrote: »
    I thought the doctor's recommendation was minimum of 6 months in parent's room, because the risk of SIDS goes down after that

To be honest I think the main reason that incidents of SIDS is lower when the baby is in your room is because they never get to sleep deeply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Das Kitty wrote: »
    To be honest I think the main reason that incidents of SIDS is lower when the baby is in your room is because they never get to sleep deeply.

You are probably right there. I read an article recently that theorised that breastfed babies are less likely to die from SIDS not because they are healthier or anything, but because they tend to sleep lighter (as formula is heavier and more difficult to digest), and thus more likely to wake up and cry and get a parental response if there is something wrong.

Advertisement