Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mavic K10 Wheels

• 20-08-2010 8:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

http://www.mavic.com/minisites/k10/home.aspx

Obviously I am not getting it.. but what's the big deal and the "evolution"? And why is it good to have a specific tyre for the rim?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Here is Mavics line on it but reckon it's just a way for them to make more cash!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

They are only 80 euro more than the standard Ksyrium SL on jedi-sports, so not too bad when you consider you get a set of Mavic tyres (basically Vittorias) and tubes.

Don't be expecting anything amazing though, you get at most a 40g saving over the SLs and:
    As promised, the K10 tires enhance the overall Ksyrium experience. They’re supple, they have very sure-footed grip, and they feel fast. They’re on par with other high performance tires, like Michelin’s Pro3 Race and Vittoria’s Open Corsa Evo CX. But if they’re special beyond the pale of these and other competing tires, I couldn’t perceive the difference.

I flatted one tire, so they’re obviously not puncture proof. I replaced the Mavic tube with a Bontrager replacement, and couldn’t tell the difference

So they are good but unless you get them for the price of SLs + tyres + tubes and no extra cost for "limited edtions" and other nonsense, I wouldn't bother.

That same review recommends these wheels, not sure how robust they are but Rolf owners say they are plenty strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Ah no, I don't want to buy them, I just don't understand what Mavic is saying. Why are they considering it a big deal, like best thing happened to wheels after hubs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

On weight weenies they generally consider at this price range 1g weight saving is equal to €1 so on that principle they are good value for money :)

Although I imagaine the tires are probably aimed specifically at people who race with minimum life on them?
    DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    They are only 80 euro more than the standard Ksyrium SL on jedi-sports, so not too bad when you consider you get a set of Mavic tyres (basically Vittorias) and tubes.

Don't be expecting anything amazing though, you get at most a 40g saving over the SLs and:

So they are good but unless you get them for the price of SLs + tyres + tubes and no extra cost for "limited edtions" and other nonsense, I wouldn't bother.

That same review recommends these wheels, not sure how robust they are but Rolf owners say they are plenty strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

snollup wrote: »
    Here is Mavics line on it but reckon it's just a way for them to make more cash!

It's absolute bullsh1t of the highest order. Mavic have no shame.

Usual quality of bikeradar reporting. Clappy clappy keeps the advertisers happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Saw these the other day when the details of the 2011 wheels got out. Some nice new wheels next year.

As for the tyres, they do seem to be a bit different than standard rubber in at least their composition. The change between the componds is fairly marked. http://picasaweb.google.co.jp/display.swacchi/MAVIC2011#5486160227084164034

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Ryaner wrote: »
    Saw these the other day when the details of the 2011 wheels got out. Some nice new wheels next year.

As for the tyres, they do seem to be a bit different than standard rubber in at least their composition. The change between the componds is fairly marked. http://picasaweb.google.co.jp/display.swacchi/MAVIC2011#5486160227084164034

It's just a higher concentration of silica, which most coloured tyres use. I believe continental refer to theirs as "activated silica compound". The "s" version which is extra grippy uses carbon nano particles, or soot, to raise grip further. I think Mavic are trying to make it sound like they are reinventing the wheel...or at least the tyre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Ryaner wrote: »

That new wheel/tyre/tube system looks difficult to inflate.

Advertisement