Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

EchoO wrote: »
    Tom Dunne show on Newstalk has fairly awful ratings, 49,000 listeners at the last count. I suspect he won't be doing talk radio for much longer.

49,000 isn't terrible considering they are a relatively small station having to compete with the huge resources of RTE and the unstoppable march of Ray Darcy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

49,000 isn't terrible

It is if you compare it to the other Newstalk programmes.

Breakfast Show - 133,000
    Moncrieff - 93,000
    The Right Hook - 130,000

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

In fairness they did do an amazing job and imo it was great to see the two countries supporting each other.
    While I totally agree that he is not good in his current roles, I think there is no point jumping on every little thing he utters particularly when in cases like this there is nothing wrong with what he has said.

It is great to see Ireland and Britain supporting each other but when you consider how it was Tubridy's family that helped destroy relations in the first place you might forgive me for not taking his words too seriously. The general Irish public always like the British. Two years ago Tubridy said that Gordon Ramsey as "a bit, em, British for my liking", can you imagine the uproar if an English presenter called someone a "bit,em,Irish for my liking". Since then he has met the Queen and got a job on BBC. Tubridy has been behind the times on this so please don't give him any credit.

I am sorry but he tried to suggest that he was influential in Katie Taylor winning a gold medal by saying that he has supported her for years. That kind of stuff just annoys me. I agree London did a fantastic job with the Olympics but he was going to praise them no matter how good, bad or indifferent a job they did. It is incredibly banal, safe stuff.

EchoO wrote: »
    It is if you compare it to the other Newstalk programmes.

Breakfast Show - 133,000
    Moncrieff - 93,000
    The Right Hook - 130,000

There's no denying it's the weaker of the pickings. Without sounding like a Tom Dunne defender, I wonder how different his ratings would be if he started at 9 and ran to 12 just like Darcy or even go head to head with Tubridy at 9-11? That hour head start the other two have at the very least gives them the chance to intrigue the listener with details of interesting subjects ahead. Few would switch over to another guy on at 10 if they were already into something on Darcy or Tubridy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

ghiertal wrote: »
    It is great to see Ireland and Britain supporting each other but when you consider how it was Tubridy's family that helped destroy relations in the first place you might forgive me for not taking his words too seriously. The general Irish public always like the British. Two years ago Tubridy said that Gordon Ramsey as "a bit, em, British for my liking", can you imagine the uproar if an English presenter called someone a "bit,em,Irish for my liking". Since then he has met the Queen and got a job on BBC. Tubridy has been behind the times on this so please don't give him any credit.

I am sorry but he tried to suggest that he was influential in Katie Taylor winning a gold medal by saying that he has supported her for years. That kind of stuff just annoys me. I agree London did a fantastic job with the Olympics but he was going to praise them no matter how good, bad or indifferent a job they did. It is incredibly banal, safe stuff.
    It is great to see Ireland and Britain supporting each other but when you consider how it was Tubridy's family that helped destroy relations in the first place you might forgive me for not taking his words too seriously.
    Cmon....What the f** does his grandfather have to do with anything....
    I am sorry but he tried to suggest that he was influential in Katie Taylor winning a gold medal by saying that he has supported her for years.
    He has supported Katie for a while at least...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

I wonder how different his ratings would be if he started at 9 and ran to 12 just like Darcy or even go head to head with Tubridy at 9-11? That hour head start the other two have at the very least gives them the chance to intrigue the listener with details of interesting subjects ahead. Few would switch over to another guy on at 10 if they were already into something on Darcy or Tubridy.

I'd imagine the reason his show was cut from 3 hours to 2 hours was poor ratings. I nothing against Tom, his Sunday night music show is grand but I just don't think he is suited to talk radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

He was brown-nosing the Brits all this morning again on the Olympics "You did an amazing job", "Wasn't it great to see Ireland and Britain supporting each other".
    It is great to see Ireland and Britain supporting each other ... I agree London did a fantastic job with the Olympics.

Yeah, how dare Ryan Tubridy go on BBC Radio 2 and say those things? ... which you then agreed here almost verbatim? :rolleyes:

He seems to be very popular at Radio 2. But he should either go there full time or stay with RTE, this constant channel hopping is doing nothing to build up his 2FM audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭Goose81

Newstalk need to get rid of Dunne imo.

The breakfast show without Yates isn't as good but still ok and the lunchtime show is fine but Dunne brings down the tone of the station I think.

For a station who are supposed to be targeting ABC1 listeners with serious discussion he dumbs down the quality immeasurably, be it ill researched discussions on serious topics where he lets the most uneducated of listeners have inane rants on air to his own "thoughts" about serious topics that are clearly above his intellect.

The worst is when he talks about or plays bands most people have never heard of I just switch off. How he attracts anyone from 20-35 is beyond me, his target demographic seems to be the unemployed, 80's Dublin scene rockers and stay at home mothers.

If I want to listen to Jeremy Kyle radio I will stick on spin or something but from Newstalk i expect better.

Goose81 wrote: »
    Newstalk need to get rid of Dunne imo.

The breakfast show without Yates isn't as good but still ok and the lunchtime show is fine but Dunne brings down the tone of the station I think.

For a station who are supposed to be targeting ABC1 listeners with serious discussion he dumbs down the quality immeasurably, be it ill researched discussions on serious topics where he lets the most uneducated of listeners have inane rants on air to his own "thoughts" about serious topics that are clearly above his intellect.

The worst is when he talks about or plays bands most people have never heard of I just switch off. How he attracts anyone from 20-35 is beyond me, his target demographic seems to be the unemployed, 80's Dublin scene rockers and stay at home mothers.

If I want to listen to Jeremy Kyle radio I will stick on spin or something but from Newstalk i expect better.

Even as an occasional listener of Dunne's I must admit that some of his expressed longing and fondness for vinyl and obscure bands are bordering on pretentious.

Cmon....What the f** does his grandfather have to do with anything....
    QUOTE]

"I know I haven't perfected the Radio 1 style yet. But my philosophy comes from my grandfather, a man called Todd Andrews." Ryan Tubridy 2005

http://www.politico.ie/component/content/article/219-media/738-radio-hell.html

Tubridy is a carbon copy of his grandfather(who was an anti-British insurgent), but now the general public is meant to listen to him preaching that we haven't had a good enough relationship with British people. Those comments on Gordon Ramsey were made only a few years ago. If anything, people in the media damaged relations with Britain. Before he went to moonlight on the BBC i never heard him make any pro-British comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

I've been in England for the last couple of days and out of interest listened in to Tubridy on his show there and he seems to fit in well. I am not sure what the Chris Evans programme is like but he seemed to me to come across as being at ease with the show and had a relatively natural interaction with the news/sports/traffic people - not something that you would say about his 2FM programme especially with the newsreader at 9am. It's probably handy for him that he is on RTE2 and BBC2 so as not to confuse the numbers.

I don't know if anybody else heard John Clarke's jukebox programme last Sunday where he seemed to have a real go at Tubridy on air. He mentioned that Dave Fanning would be filling in for him next week and then went into a rant about taking more time off and where is his commitment to 2FM - sounded really pissed off about things and then he finished by saying that he was going to get into trouble for this. I seem to remember John Clarke going off on rants when Hector and Baz and Lucy came on to 2FM and about how only couples and comedians could do radio shows now.

Given that Tubridy is the top RTE star (well with doing the Late Late) it was really surprising to hear the rant especially from the guy who was head of 2FM when Ryan Tubridy was brought in to do The Full Irish breakfast show - which I think was his big break. But times change and I am guessing they won't be buying drinks for each other at the 2FM Christmas Party.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Waffle waffle waffle, rambling on about how he presented the rose of tralee, and compares the dresses as Kimberly, Mikado and coconut creams, what in the name of jaysus is this man on at all..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

You get the impression that he hates the music that 2FM force him to play. I'd say he plugs in his headphones with Bobby Darrin while Beyoncé is on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

I think his show has improved a good bit. He has stopped all his Bill Clinton, Mad Men, jellybeans, twitter, West Wing, Downtown Abbey nonsense. Though this morning he couldn't help himself talking about Mick Romney's introduction of some Ryan fella.

MJ23 wrote: »
    Though this morning he couldn't help himself talking about Mick Romney's introduction of some Ryan fella.

Another Irish American President .. :D

I think his show has improved a good bit. He has stopped all his Bill Clinton, Mad Men, jellybeans, twitter, West Wing, Downtown Abbey nonsense. Though this morning he couldn't help himself talking about Mick Romney's introduction of some Ryan fella.

He has stopped some of his references but they can slowly creep back in. Some wan rang in to ask David Coleman advice on how to control an unruly two year old child. Coleman had started his answer by saying to make the child understand why you are discipling him when tubbers interjected in a Tony Blair voice "You need to tough on the crime and tough on the causes of crime". Coleman and the woman fell silent for about five seconds as tubs chuckled away to himself.

He must be self-flagellating every morning to prevent too many mentions of the US election. He was on radio 1 during the last election and he never shut up about it. He backed Hilary Clinton at the start, then said Sarah Palin would be a brilliant vice-president then when Obama was elected he kept insisting that Obama is not black(why i do not know). He also had numerous interviews with Obama's cousin in Kenya. Half of RTE goes mad over it, but they minimally report on the German election which is arguably more important for us.

Another Irish American President .. :D

I did that on purpose, i know he has some silly name like Glove or something.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

This thread is regarding the shows. Not regarding who Tubridy is dating or what he is getting paid. Back on topic

Splinter

Splinter wrote: »
    This thread is regarding the shows. Not regarding who Tubridy is dating or what he is getting paid. Back on topic

Splinter
    specifically radio shows!

Splinter wrote: »

Splinter

Tubridy was rabbiting on about this on his RADIO show, so howcome its classified off topic?
    Hence why it's in the papers...

• Advertisement

curious to know the motives of mr tv3 too. He must know he's talking b0llox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Back to Ryan Tubridy Radio Shows or thread will be closed

Does anyone hear this spoofer on now? Yer one talking to dead people. How are thesespeople so gullible?

Does anyone hear this spoofer on now? Yer one talking to dead people. How are thesespeople so gullible?

I didn't hear that segment but psychics/mediums get most of their custom from the ladies so it would make sense for tubbers to have one on. I was listening before 10 when he spent 15 talking to a caller on how to make jam doughnuts. Did anyone hear him mention a coffee-table book that Jedward are bringing out for Christmas with them in semi-nude photos? I don't know if it was meant as a joke but it seems unbelievable. He said that it costs over 100 euro.

I didn't hear that segment but psychics/mediums get most of their custom from the ladies so it would make sense for tubbers to have one on. I was listening before 10 when he spent 15 talking to a caller on how to make jam doughnuts. Did anyone hear him mention a coffee-table book that Jedward are bringing out for Christmas with them in semi-nude photos? I don't know if it was meant as a joke but it seems unbelievable. He said that it costs over 100 euro.
    that's funny a colleague ran up to me to see did I hear the doughnut segment....he said it got a little weird when the ginger bread men came up.

Ha as a youth Tubs used to slide in vomit in his socks!

Before "Jeeves" cleaned it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

His own? Could explain his stick like appearance...

Tubs is off yet again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Tubs is off yet again

Jesus Christ, you moan when he's on air and you moan when he's off air. You find faults with every single thing the man seems to do and because of that and this disturbing obsession you have with Tubridy means you lose a little more credibility with every petty post you make.

Advertisement