Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

LeakyGee wrote: »
    F.F.S. people, leave the guy alone :mad::mad:

if you think he's sh*t just don't listen. If you like him then discuss him positively.

So many brave keyboard warriors who have the answers to everything but know nothing about the radio industry.
    the show has actaully improved and tubs has improved...i thought he'd take more of Darcy's listeners this time....Darcy is going downhill fast, so i'm sure he's feeling smug that his figures are going up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

if you think he's sh*t just don't listen. If you like him then discuss him positively.

So many brave keyboard warriors who have the answers to everything but know nothing about the radio industry.

You can't ignore the fact that he has lost 47% of the shows audience since he took over. That wouldn't be acceptable in another radio station, be it at another state broadcaster or in the commercial sector. It was very obvious very early on that this wasn't going to work out, but RTE just stuck their heads in the sand. I don't particularly blame Tubridy, I'm sure he has tried his best(although spending so much time filling in for someone at the BBC when his own show was in so trouble didn't help), the management picked the wrong person for the job and have probably finished off 2fm in the process. That 47% would be nearly impossible to win back now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

I agree with you 100%. Im sure you will now get a yellow card for telling these here folks not to listen, talk like that is a no no. :confused: its like getting into trouble for telling little kids there is no santa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Oh! So it's only positive comments that are acceptable? No critique allowed?
    Maybe the thread title should be renamed "The Ryan Tubridy appreciation thread" then?
    People can indeed switch off, but their license fee is still used to pay Ryan Tubridy and prop up radio 2. Does that not give them a right to critique the output without being labeled "begrudgers" or "jealous"?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

You can't ignore the fact that he has lost 47% of the shows audience since he took over. That wouldn't be acceptable in another radio station, be it at another state broadcaster or in the commercial sector. It was very obvious very early on that this wasn't going to work out, but RTE just stuck their heads in the sand. I don't particularly blame Tubridy, I'm sure he has tried his best(although spending so much time filling in for someone at the BBC when his own show was in so trouble didn't help), the management picked the wrong person for the job and have probably finished off 2fm in the process. That 47% would be nearly impossible to win back now.

And who could RTE have put in there who would have been guaranteed to retain more than half of G Ryan's audience. Every chance if 2FM had taken a punt on some young 'hotshot' that the listenership figures could be significantly worse (as all 2FM's other shoes are). The broader problem is 2FM's lack of a clear identity, but as a 'quick fix' to replace G Ryan with a 'big name' I don't see who would obviously have done so much better than Tubridy.

• Advertisement

And who could RTE have put in there who would have been guaranteed to retain more than half of G Ryan's audience. Every chance if 2FM had taken a punt on some young 'hotshot' that the listenership figures could be significantly worse (as all 2FM's other shoes are). The broader problem is 2FM's lack of a clear identity, but as a 'quick fix' to replace G Ryan with a 'big name' I don't see who would obviously have done so much better than Tubridy.

It was tubs insistence that they "make the show his own" that caused the show to drop...

They have spent a fortune trying to fix it ever since, and now they've resorted to going back to the gerry ryan format....( which is working, despite the drop off)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Maybe the thread title should be renamed "The Ryan Tubridy appreciation thread" then?
    People can indeed switch off, but their license fee is still used to pay Ryan Tubridy and prop up radio 2. Does that not give them a right to critique the output without being labeled "begrudgers" or "jealous"?

How much of YOUR tv licence fee do you reckon goes towards the Ryan Tubridy Show?

Of course people can have a go at him or his show the problem is that people seem to find a problem in everything he does and its like they are being forced to endure what they are listening too and we all know that they aint being forced, so then there is the obvious thing to do and that is to not tu...........ah ye know the rest.;)

S28382 wrote: »
    Of course people can have a go at him or his show the problem is that people seem to find a problem in everything he does and its like they are being forced to endure what they are listening too and we all know that they aint being forced, so then there is the obvious thing to do and that is to not tu...........ah ye know the rest.;)
    I think it's two people?

I think Fanning or Sean Moncrieff would of held on to the majority of Gerry Ryan's audience. I can't guarantee that of course, it's just an opinion, but Tubridy's figures right from the off were disastrous and the show was truely awful. A change should have been made long ago.
    How much of YOUR tv licence fee do you reckon goes towards the Ryan Tubridy Show?

How much revenue does losing 140,000 listeners from a station's most profitable show cost. 2fm has made an ever increasing loss over the past 3 years. Last time out it was 5.4 million euros.

• Advertisement

From reading this thread and the Ray Darcy thread i think it is clear that the majority of people would like to hear Sean Moncrieff put in on the morning slot and i have to say i agree with that idea but the problem is that how long would it take before people here start critiquing him and begin calling for some one else to replace him.

Tubs is doing a feature on sex toys at the moment, well I never!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Kids in the back of the car across the nation asking awkward questions right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Tubs is doing a feature on sex toys at the moment, well I never!
    He seemed to have "handled" it well... i was in stitches listening to it.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I've just heard John Clarke saying that Craig Doyle is filling in for Ryan Tubridy next week.m:rolleyes:

bbability wrote: »
    I've just heard John Clarke saying that Craig Doyle is filling in for Ryan Tubridy next week.m:rolleyes:
    Tubs mentioned Friday he was off for a few days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 ScriptKittie

Come back Ryan, all is forgiven!

Is it only people who are represented by Noel Kelly Management that can fill in for Tubs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Is it only people who are represented by Noel Kelly Management that can fill in for Tubs?

It does seem that way!

that chap has RTE by the balls for some reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Tubs playing Wolfman/Pete Doherty, respect!:cool:
    Fanning must have left some of his records lying round...

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

And discussing how he felt about the falling listener numbers, he said: “I was stoical. I just keep doing it. I love the show, I love the team. I just keep on doing the job I’m doing and I love it.”
    Tubs is today busy preparing for the Late Late Show’s Eurosong competition.
    The contest will see five acts battle it out to represent Ireland at the Eurovision in Malmö, Sweden in May.
    And Tubs told how he is looking forward to seeing the singers take to the stage — as he reckons it gives him a bit of a break.
    He joked: “To me this is an annual reprieve from the Late Late Show. I don’t mean any disrespect to those singing. It’s just that I’m not up there singing my heart out. I can just kick back and let the panellists talk.
    “I’m not wearing a tie — it’s a big night for me! It’s a free class, the kind of class where you call your teacher by their first name.”

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/feeds/smartphone/ireland/4807081/Ryan-Tubridy-Ill-just-keep-on-doing-what-Im-doing.html#ixzz2LdqpJOdx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

ghiertal wrote: »
    "It’s a free class, the kind of class where you call your teacher by their first name.”

Ugh. It's so annoying when he keeps referring to these twee Irishisms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Ava_e

Ugh. It's so annoying when he keeps referring to these twee Irishisms.

I'm surprised he didn't say it's the type of class you "can act the maggot in".

Ava_e wrote: »

I'm surprised he didn't say it's the type of class you "can act the maggot in".
    He did! Actually he also says it to bemused Americans too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Ava_e

He did! Actually he also says it to bemused Americans too!

Ha!, did he really ?.

It always sounds like hes made a rough draft of his 'light hearted off the cuff banter' the night before.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Don't normally listen to 2FM but it was on in the background this morning.

Hector just called Ryan Tubridy 'an awful bollocks' during the handover between their shows !

Cheered me up for the day. :D

I think I'll tune in more often !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

Lapin wrote: »
    Don't normally listen to 2FM but it was on in the background this morning.

Hector just called Ryan Tubridy 'an awful bollocks' during the handover between their shows !

Cheered me up for the day. :D

I think I'll tune in more often !

If that's what passes for entertainment on 2fm, think ill pass

Note to 2fm, ye ain't getting any better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

It sounded like he really meant it too.

Advertisement