Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

EDIT: Re-read full context of post I quoted! Sorry, I misinterpreted it first time.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see what Tubs does in the long term now that there's a new head of 2FM.
    For what it's worth, I like him as a radio presenter. I used to particularly like him on the breakfast show a couple of years ago, but to be honest, I don't think I could listen to his current show for too long. It seems to be aimed at the Gerry Ryan "housewives" market.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

"I am committed to my job presenting a radio show, and doing a TV show.
    "But it's down to who's in charge to decide on what show, on what slot and on what station.
    "If somebody decided I would be better off somewhere else, that's their decision, but it's not mine.
    "I just get on with the show."
    http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/ill-be-working-into-my-60s-vows-tubs-40-29254455.html
    BROADCASTER Ryan Tubridy has pledged to spend the better part of the next year trying to improve his RTE radio show - but insisted he's "not in the least" worried about 2FM's incoming boss.
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/ryan-tubridy-determined-to-improve-2fm-shows-listenership-29254029.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Ava_e

ghiertal wrote: »
    BROADCASTER Ryan Tubridy has insisted he's "not in the least" worried about 2FM's incoming boss.

He should be, his show is a joke at this stage, and the ratings reflect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

0007565f-625.jpg

No sign of his on/off misses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Rumour has it you were there Jimmy. Can you confirm on deny theses rumours? Surely not!

• Advertisement

bbability wrote: »
    Rumour has it you were there Jimmy. Can you confirm on deny theses rumours? Surely not!
    I was not there. Confirmed. Lol.

bbability wrote: »

Despite all the celebrations, it's actually two weeks until my birthday. I will celebrate the occasion then with a private function for friends and family. I have a few friends from school who are also celebrating the big 4-0 so we will ring it in together with a nice gathering at the end of the month.I am no good when it comes to receiving presents for my birthday as I never know what I want.Some of the best gifts I have got in recent times are things like a CD with really good music made by somebody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I have already achieved so much in my life and my career so the prospect just excites me and I am intrigued to find out what the future holds.
    When it comes to my career, I plan on retiring and scaling down everything in my early 60s. I really can't see me doing it as long as Gay (Byrne).

It really baffles me the way Tubridy talks of himself as if he is a highly respected broadcaster, with serious credibility, who is held in high esteem... he obviously must believe what Noel Kelly and possibly Tony Quinn are saying to him.. His radio show has lost thousands of listeners, and the LLS is awful BECAUSE he is the host... Brendan O'Connor has proven on Sat Nites that it IS possible to make a reasonably entertaining show even with second rate guests, and Ryan Tubridy has proven (with slightly better quality guests) that he simply does not have the ability to do this...

Cant see himself doing it as long as Gay Byrne?:pac: If it wasnt for his family / FF connections, he wouldnt get as much air time as Shay Byrne ffs..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Eh Brendan O'Connor is tv nuclear waste that also happens to smell like sewage through the screen.

In absolute mathematical terms he must be better than tubridy purely because he is not tubridy although it could be argued that he has done more damage to the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

jimmynokia wrote: »
    No sign of his on/off misses!

And that's related to his radio show how?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Tubs on the batter with Primal Scream!

And that's related to his radio show how?
    Since he highly discussed the matter and promoted a 40th on the show YES.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

ha tubs the legend cracked a peado joke this morning to absolute silence and then quickly moved on classic....his co host was discussing apes grooming eachother and tubs jumps in with "what in the operation yew-tree sense...er...nothin...so eh...(changes subject)..."

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Tubs on the batter with Primal Scream!

I wonder if he got his rocks off??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

ha tubs the legend cracked a peado joke this morning to absolute silence and then quickly moved on classic....his co host was discussing apes grooming eachother and tubs jumps in with "what in the operation yew-tree sense...er...nothin...so eh...(changes subject)..."

Alan Partridge would have proud of that one!

Link?

Former Westlife star Nicky Byrne will take the reins from 40th birthday boy Ryan Tubridy on RTE radio later this month.
    While Ryan nurses his head after his 40th birthday bash in Connemara the night before, Nicky will cover for him at 2fm studios on Wednesday May 29.
    Late Late Show host Ryan plans to mark his milestone 40th on May 28 with family and friends in the Abbeyglen Hotel in Clifden — and Nicky’s stint is giving him a lie-in.

http://www.thestar.ie/star/nicky-byrne-to-stand-in-for-pal-ryan-tubridy-after-40th-birthday-bash/

RTE really stinks to high heaven.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Former Westlife star Nicky Byrne will take the reins from 40th birthday boy Ryan Tubridy on RTE radio later this month.
    While Ryan nurses his head after his 40th birthday bash in Connemara the night before, Nicky will cover for him at 2fm studios on Wednesday May 29.
    Late Late Show host Ryan plans to mark his milestone 40th on May 28 with family and friends in the Abbeyglen Hotel in Clifden — and Nicky’s stint is giving him a lie-in.

http://www.thestar.ie/star/nicky-byrne-to-stand-in-for-pal-ryan-tubridy-after-40th-birthday-bash/

RTE really stinks to high heaven.

Jesus christ, RTE need investigating just as to how there picking presenters and how much is this going to cost us?

Is nicki byrne, Bertie aherns son in law?

Jesus christ, RTE need investigating just as to how there picking presenters and how much is this going to cost us?

Is nicki byrne, Bertie aherns son in law?

2fm had planned to announce the news early next week, but their plans were dashed when outspoken music mogul Louis Walsh spilled the beans live on air.

Louis was appearing on Colm Hayes' radio show to talk about his own upcoming stint on the station.

"You know Nicky's coming? Nicky Byrne, he's starting here in a few weeks time. You know that?" the X Factor judge asked Colm.

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/nicky-to-fill-in-for-tubs-on-2fm-while-he-celebrates-40th-29275344.html

Sweet lanterin jesus!

• Advertisement

According to today's Irish Independent, Tubbins is off to the BBC for two weeks during the summer to cover for Chris Evans.

He also says that he is happy with all that he has accomplished in his career and that he is not considering moving abroad. RTE must be like a different universe; you can lose vast swathes of listeners over a 3 year period but still work for a competitor in the meantime. Tubbins must be dumb if he is happy with his performance, he is treating his audience on the radio and television like mindless drones with all his boyband and reality tv crap. Now he has another one of Louis Walsh's stable replace him.

In what is becoming a tradition, Ryan Tubridy has been lined up for another two-week summer stint at the BBC. The Late Late Show host told The Diary that he'll again fill in for Chris Evans on his Radio 2 weekday breakfast slot in July – and can't wait to embark on another of his "quiet adventures".

And hurtling towards his 40th birthday on May 28, Ryan feels he can safely say he's accomplished all he wanted to in his career thus far.
    "I'm very comfortable with where I am now, I've got a lot in to date and things are going well. The only thing on my 'bucket list' would be to consolidate a bit better," he said.

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/tubs-i-love-being-the-beebs-summer-supersub-29276400.html

It's incredible that he is still allowed do this work for the BBC. One would think that RTE would have put a stop to this in his new contract. Also, why are the BBC hiring someone who has lost half the audience on his own show?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Seems like Tubs is already setting out his stall, three years before his contract renewal date with RTE. I think it's about time RTE called the bluff of their top presenters. Considering he's lost a lot of listeners from his 2FM show, and the Late Late isn't the show it once was, he'd hardly be a huge loss to RTE now. I personally think Brendan O'Connor could do a much better job of the Late Late Show.

Pat Kenny was offering similar musings a few months ago, saying how he regrets not building up a career in the UK. He presented a quiz show on BSB which was probably only watched by two men and a dog, but he seems to think he could've been the next Parky :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

Pat Kenny was offering similar musings a few months ago, saying how he regrets not building up a career in the UK. He presented a quiz show on BSB which was probably only watched by two men and a dog, but he seems to think he could've been the next Parky :rolleyes:

I don't know, I think Kenny is the only one of RTE's so-called "stars" that could have made it in the UK. But RTE shouldn't be expected to overcompensate him just because he decided to stay at home, which is what he was really implying in that interview.

http://www.sundayworld.com/entertainment/showbiz/ryan-tubridy-is-40

He continues: “I still love my job because I get to do such a variety of things but there is a lot of pressure presenting the Late Late. But I am definitely comfortable in the role right now. It took a while but I know what I expect from myself and I think I have done that. Some people like me. Some people dislike me. That’s fine.

jimmynokia wrote: »
    http://www.sundayworld.com/entertainment/showbiz/ryan-tubridy-is-40

He continues: “I still love my job because I get to do such a variety of things but there is a lot of pressure presenting the Late Late. But I am definitely comfortable in the role right now. It took a while but I know what I expect from myself and I think I have done that. Some people like me. Some people dislike me. That’s fine.

August 2011,when he quit twitter The presenter also dismissed rumours that he had quit using social media because he was upset by hurtful comments posted about himself.
    "I’ve thick enough skin for that stuff," he laughed.

May 2013 comment on twitter:
    “Twitter can be dangerous so I’m glad it is not part of my life anymore.People who have never met me could tell me what they think of me and it was easier than sending a text. I am in the public eye and I opened myself up to it"

Tubs will finish the current season of The Late Late Show on May 31.
    But he revealed he’s only getting comfortable with the job now — after four years in the hot seat. He said: “My feet felt more firmly planted over the series. It feels more and more like my room with every season that passes.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/feeds/smartphone/ireland/4934568/Tubs-BBC-job-helps-make-life-more-fun.html#ixzz2ToilnmzL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

But he revealed he’s only getting comfortable with the job now — after four years in the hot seat. He said: “My feet felt more firmly planted over the series. It feels more and more like my room with every season that passes.

More like with every year it becomes clearer that the show has passed on..

Director General Noel Curran acknowledged the earnings of some of the country's best known broadcasters has become a topic of public debate and criticism.
    "During the boom, the remuneration of RTE's top presenters became overly inflated," Mr Curran told a sitting of the Dail's Communications Committee.
    "Put simply, we paid our top presenters too much."
    Those contracted include RTE 'Late Late Show' host Ryan Tubridy. who received €723,000 in 2011. His fee has dropped to €495,000 after he accepted a 32pc pay cut last year.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/rte-boss-noel-curran-admits-paying-stars-too-much-29287262.html

• Advertisement

NICKY Byrne's mum Yvonne is delighted the former Westlife star is filling in for Ryan Tubridy on 2fm.
    Nicky will be taking over Tubridy's golden headphones on May 29 as the broadcaster celebrates turning the big 4-0.
    They're big shoes to fill, but Nicky already has one fan – his doting mum Yvonne. Bless.
    "I listen to Tubridy in the mornings," she said, "so I'm thrilled and delighted about this. It's the 'Big One'.

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/nickys-mum-proud-as-punch-29284620.html

Advertisement