Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Sergeant wrote: »
    To try and understand the venom and malice that seems to consume some people here upon hearing Ryan's dulcet tones broadcast over the 2FM wavelength, I decided to listen to the show all this week.

I warned my colleagues that I was likely to fly into a murderous rage, and would almost certainly scream out foul and disgusting obscenities about Tubridy and his appearance.

My colleagues went about their work as per usual; the hum of quiet industry being almost melodic. The show isn't for me, but I fail to see how it rises such strong emotions in people. It's a show pitched on a mixture of light and heavy lifestyle stories. He's a competent and self-effacing broadcaster. Slightly bland in the range of topics discussed, but I'd imagine that's the editorial stance of the show.

I'll have to find something else to be outraged about. :(
    The outrage, for me anyway, is the salary he gets. He's part of an organisation that is losing €20 million a year and yet he is paid a massive amount of money for being,bland,ordinary,affected and phoney. Why? There are people going out to work everyday getting a fraction of his salary who are funding this farce. How is this right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

To try and understand the venom and malice that seems to consume some people here upon hearing Ryan's dulcet tones broadcast over the 2FM wavelength, I decided to listen to the show all this week.

I warned my colleagues that I was likely to fly into a murderous rage, and would almost certainly scream out foul and disgusting obscenities about Tubridy and his appearance.

My colleagues went about their work as per usual; the hum of quiet industry being almost melodic. The show isn't for me, but I fail to see how it rises such strong emotions in people. It's a show pitched on a mixture of light and heavy lifestyle stories. He's a competent and self-effacing broadcaster. Slightly bland in the range of topics discussed, but I'd imagine that's the editorial stance of the show.

Pays for caviar ............. gets tuna flakes in sunflower oil, then grins.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

The outrage, for me anyway, is the salary he gets. He's part of an organisation that is losing €20 million a year and yet he is paid a massive amount of money for being,bland,ordinary,affected and phoney. Why? There are people going out to work everyday getting a fraction of his salary who are funding this farce. How is this right?

When your cousin was a fianna fail minister at the time, you fall into these kind of jobs!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Was I imagining things this morning when I was flicking through the channels, or did Tubridy spend 40 minutes listening to kids spell words?
    Nope it was real.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

no you did not imagine it
    jimmynokia wrote: »
    Nope it was real.

Not sure whether I'm happy I wasn't imagining things, or incredibly sad that this is what passes for content on 2FM these days. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Well I was skipping around stations as I normally do, or maybe stay with the PK show but the topics Myles is covering was boring me somewhat and I happened to stumble across Tubs.....Dear God, I could not believe what I was hearing.

How can this pass for radio.This is the kind of geekiness that I associate with Mr Tubridy:rolleyes:.JFK is another.Who is going to listen to this rubbish? Would they take this nonsense on the BBC? I think not!.....or would they?

Not sure whether I'm happy I wasn't imagining things, or incredibly sad that this is what passes for content on 2FM these days. :(

Sadly this is content for him.
    Oh he is on TV tonight talking JFK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

When your cousin was a fianna fail minister at the time, you fall into these kind of jobs!

When your grandfather was a long time director general of rte, that helps too...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It took tubs a long time to settle into the show...a lot longer than any other DJ..it's actually a million times better than it was at the start..so i guess it's not as bad as it used to be, darcy probably makes me a little more violent these days. Tubs has made the show for women and children and is carving out that niche for himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

I've nothing personal against Ryan Tubridy and my guess is most people here don't either, There are however a number of people posting here who do understand the difference between good and bad radio (many are in the industry) and my view is that they are entitled to express views about Mr Tubridy's broadcasting skills.

His main skill on 2FM seems to be his ability to drive listeners away (see JNLRs) and before the other side thinks that he started the trend, it had started well before G Ryan's untimely departure

My personal view is that ala Beat and Nova , 2FM should get a dispensation from 20% and go music - wall to wall . Why should a music station have a news content - its too much of a big brother view of the world . The alternative might be to hand the programme to a real journalist and let them build a show - someone like Rachel English for example.

Over to you Dan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

Like everything else on RTE nowadays it has to be sponsored. More money for RTE to pay presenters, director generals etc. No need to have this drivel for 5 days. Fair enough if it was for twenty minutes on one day. And if the advertisements and licence wasn't enough, much of the content on Tubridy's show and the LLS is advertising also. People shouldn't have to put up with this from a state broadcaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Both his shows are poor yet he's paid a fortune, and he fks off to the UK every time he wants to progress his own career (instead of maybe making his current failing shows better). He basically gives two fingers to the people who pages his wages and the State broadcaster seem very happy to indulge him..

If they sent him to the UK to get interviewing lessons from Parkinson, I might be able to understand RTE allowing his monthly trips across the Irish Sea.

Both his shows are poor yet he's paid a fortune, and he fks off to the UK every time he wants to progress his own career (instead of maybe making his current failing shows better). He basically gives two fingers to the people who pages his wages and the State broadcaster seem very happy to indulge him..

If they sent him to the UK to get interviewing lessons from Parkinson, I might be able to understand RTE allowing his monthly trips across the Irish Sea.

I am under the impression that Tubs has an agreement with RTE that if he can maintain the audience figures around about where they are now then he'll be fine. This is a quote he gave last month

"I'm very comfortable with where I am now. I've got a lot in to date and things are going well. The only thing on my 'bucket list' would be to consolidate a bit better," he said.

Listening now and he has people texting in to tell him what they are doing for the weekend, sponsored by Coke. Then the Spelling Bee sponsored by Easons. Also he interviewed the founders of Supermacs and Dubarry this week and basically advertised their companies.
    Considering Supermacs are featured on his Facebook page and sponsored the "Bring them home" segment on his show + the LLS, there is another side to this interview rather than just promoting Irish business. Advertisements and the licence fee should bring in enough money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

ghiertal wrote: »
    Considering Supermacs are featured on his Facebook page and sponsored the "Bring them home" segment on his show + the LLS, there is another side to this interview rather than just promoting Irish business. Advertisements and the licence fee should bring in enough money.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. 2fm have gone from around a 3.5 million euro surplus, which was used to help finance RTE Radio 1, Lyric fm and Raidió na Gaeltachta, to a 5.6 million euro deficit. The listeners that Tubridy and Hayes have lost must be a be a least partly to blame for the size of that deficit.

Did he ever get an overall sponsor for the show? RTE were looking for ridiculous amounts of money when he first took over.

Clean-cut Ryan Tubridy was left shocked when a horny couple started having sex in front of him in the cinema.
    The Late Late Show host had sat down to watch Man of Steel by himself – but was immediately treated to a very different X-rated performance by a young couple.
    Tubs, 40, couldn’t take his eyes of the action as the woman in her 20s repeatedly orgasmed during the two-and-a-half hour romp with her boyfriend in the Dublin cinema.
    And during one intense moment, the stunned 2fm presenter watched the girl with her head laid back over the seat and she “groaned” with her arms in the air.
    He said: “There were a lot of yeses and whispering in the air and I could see certain movements of the human form happening.
    “And I don’t know what happens in Superman Man of Steel. I have no idea. Apparently, it’s a good film, I didn’t actually see too much of it from what I saw.
    “The stamina of that young man, the stamina because for two-and-a-half hours, what he wasn’t doing, saying, or at her with, it was phenomenal.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/irish-showbiz/rtes-tubridy-shock-superman-romping-1977405

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Clean-cut Ryan Tubridy was left shocked when a horny couple started having sex in front of him in the cinema.
    The Late Late Show host had sat down to watch Man of Steel by himself – but was immediately treated to a very different X-rated performance by a young couple.
    Tubs, 40, couldn’t take his eyes of the action as the woman in her 20s repeatedly orgasmed during the two-and-a-half hour romp with her boyfriend in the Dublin cinema.
    And during one intense moment, the stunned 2fm presenter watched the girl with her head laid back over the seat and she “groaned” with her arms in the air.
    He said: “There were a lot of yeses and whispering in the air and I could see certain movements of the human form happening.
    “And I don’t know what happens in Superman Man of Steel. I have no idea. Apparently, it’s a good film, I didn’t actually see too much of it from what I saw.
    “The stamina of that young man, the stamina because for two-and-a-half hours, what he wasn’t doing, saying, or at her with, it was phenomenal.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/irish-showbiz/rtes-tubridy-shock-superman-romping-1977405

Kneel before Zod....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

In what way is this related to his radio show?

Aidric wrote: »
    In what way is this related to his radio show?

Well yes since he rabbited on about it!

Well yes since he rabbited on about it!

The thing that really gets me is that he was doing the Spelling Bee yesterday and there would have been hundreds of ten or eleven year old kids in the hall. How he felt that it was appropriate to tell this story in that situation is just mind boggling. He really looked like a creepy old man. Also the fact that he thinks it funny to say that he moved to a different seat in order to get a better view of a couple having sex. He should have called a security guard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I sincerely doubt that incident occurred.

• Advertisement

Do you think mr clean cut tubbers would make this up? No.
    Been to the cinema lately? Anytime i go there its normally a girls head acting like a pidgeon "bobbing" you get my point.:D

The article I read in the Herald sounded so made up it could only come from somone like Alan partridge ..oh wait..

A new poll is in order!

Agreed. Some bright spark is pushing Tubs to be more controversial. It sounds like something Gerry Ryan would have came out with. Way over the top, exaggerated etc. The thing is that even though Gerry was unwell, he could still be funny. It was actually embarrassing listening to him rant and rave about it in front of those youngsters. It was completely undignified. Tubridy is slipping further into tabloid radio and tabloid culture in general. There is no way that Gay Byrne or Pat Kenny would have ever come out with this kind of nonsense.

Agreed. Some bright spark is pushing Tubs to be more controversial. It sounds like something Gerry Ryan would have came out with. Way over the top, exaggerated etc. The thing is that even though Gerry was unwell, he could still be funny. It was actually embarrassing listening to him rant and rave about it in front of those youngsters. It was completely undignified. Tubridy is slipping further into tabloid radio and tabloid culture in general. There is no way that Gay Byrne or Pat Kenny would have ever come out with this kind of nonsense.
    It the producer's are getting him to come out with that it's a sad state of affairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Do you think mr clean cut tubbers would make this up? No.
    Been to the cinema lately? Anytime i go there its normally a girls head acting like a pidgeon "bobbing" you get my point.:D

You do what in the cinema James?:eek:

DT100 wrote: »
    You do what in the cinema James?:eek:
    James?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 felderkirk

Whenever I meet Tubridy on the road, I always wave at him and he waves back. From now on, I shall only wave my fist and/or bollocks at him by way of showing my disgust at his sharing of this information. Hopefully he'll wave his bollocks at me in retort, and we can have a big laugh about it as we go off dogging together in Santry, Sutton, or perhaps even Knocklyon.

THE girlfriend of Ryan Tubridy has denied nepotism exists in RTE after landing a major slot on RTE radio.
    Aoibhinn Ni Shuilleabhain will take over the Miriam Meets hour-long interview slot on Sunday mornings from Miriam O'Callaghan from July 14.
    However, the 30-year-old, who has extensive broadcasting experience, said it had nothing to do with dating Ryan Tubridy – one of the station's biggest stars.
    Opportunity
    "People can say what they like. I don't think there is any sort of nepotism there.
    "It's the people who are in charge of RTE Radio 1 who decide who are asked or not. I've been in the media for eight years, it's not a fly-by-night thing, I have worked really hard and am delighted to get this opportunity," she told the Herald.
    In fact, the Mayo woman is working on two other shows for RTE, the second season of travel series Getaways and The Science Squad, which presents science as entertainment, as well as being in her second year of a PhD in Trinity College.

• Advertisement

THE girlfriend of Ryan Tubridy has denied nepotism exists in RTE after landing a major slot on RTE radio.
    Aoibhinn Ni Shuilleabhain will take over the Miriam Meets hour-long interview slot on Sunday mornings from Miriam O'Callaghan from July 14.
    However, the 30-year-old, who has extensive broadcasting experience, said it had nothing to do with dating Ryan Tubridy – one of the station's biggest stars.
    Opportunity
    "People can say what they like. I don't think there is any sort of nepotism there.
    "It's the people who are in charge of RTE Radio 1 who decide who are asked or not. I've been in the media for eight years, it's not a fly-by-night thing, I have worked really hard and am delighted to get this opportunity," she told the Herald.
    In fact, the Mayo woman is working on two other shows for RTE, the second season of travel series Getaways and The Science Squad, which presents science as entertainment, as well as being in her second year of a PhD in Trinity College.
    great opening sentence

Advertisement