Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

Tubbins is either anti-intellectual or else he is afraid of alienating part of his audience. The content of his show is so low-grade and he displays no emotional maturity or real-world sensibilities. For example, it is difficult to imagine any other Irish presenter display such as faux, Americanised empathy when speaking with callers. Gay Byrne helped the likes of the Chieftains, Sinead O'Connor and had U2 on the LLS when they were young + Pat Kenny always has lesser known bands on his radio programme. Tubbins promotes the Voice, Jedward etc. and revels in the basest of Hollywood's produce.

The Late Late host also revealed he’s finding it impossible to go back to cinemas after telling of a couple having sex in front of him for two-and-a-half hours during the new Superman film.
    He said: “I went to see Despicable Me 2."

http://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/irish-showbiz/ryan-tubridy-reveals-wont-appear-2000860

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

merge.jpg
    Typical RTE keeping it the who knows who business.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

*pukes on keyboard*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

ghiertal wrote: »
    Tubbins is either anti-intellectual or else he is afraid of alienating part of his audience. The content of his show is so low-grade and he displays no emotional maturity or real-world sensibilities. For example, it is difficult to imagine any other Irish presenter display such as faux, Americanised empathy when speaking with callers. Gay Byrne helped the likes of the Chieftains, Sinead O'Connor and had U2 on the LLS when they were young + Pat Kenny always has lesser, known bands on his radio programme. Tubbins promotes the Voice, Jedward etc. and revels in the basest of Hollywood's produce.

The Late Late host also revealed he’s finding it impossible to go back to cinemas after telling of a couple having sex in front of him for two-and-a-half hours during the new Superman film.
    He said: “I went to see Despicable Me 2."

http://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/irish-showbiz/ryan-tubridy-reveals-wont-appear-2000860

He keeps you listening!

http://www.thejournal.ie/ryan-tubridy-bai-complaint-butt-plugs-969067-Jun2013/

A COMPLAINT over an item on Ryan Tubridy’s 2FM radio show, dealing with the use of sex toys and other sexual aids, has been resolved by the broadcasting watchdog.

The complainant said he was shocked at the item, which had used phrases like “big gigantic thing to penetrate”, “male masturbating toy”, “butt plugs”, “choose your vagina to make love to”, and “how long to bang out an orgasm”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

this was how one segment went down this week.
    Sharon: Ryan i'm devestated, as i collect coca colla memorabilia and my name isn't on the new coke bottles.
    Ryan: ah surely sharon has a coke bottle
    Sharon: no i've looked everywhere and i can catagorically state that there is no sharon coke bottle in this country or this planet.
    Ryan: that's just awful
    Sharon: but there is a obgulooloo bottle
    Ryan: bla bla
    Caller 2: I saw a sharon coke bottle in spar in black rock, i could run down and see if it's still there?
    Ryan: f3ck off sharon

RTE 2fm will never mark the death of Gerry Ryan again – as the station’s new boss wants to finally move on.
    The Montrose chief has insisted it’s time to work on finding “other great presenters” rather than dwelling on the larger-than-life star’s legacy.
    And in his first in-depth interview since taking over, tough-talking Dan Healy told the Irish Mirror:
    • No stars will ever be sacked from 2fm even if their ratings plummet
    Gerry-Ryan-with-Ryan-Tubridy-2030643.jpg

The radio chief also sensationally snubbed former Westlife star Nicky Byrne who had filled in on Tubridy and hoped to land his own show on 2fm.
    He said: “We don’t want him. There will be no more Nicky Byrne because we have great broadcasters

Finding a sponsor for Ryan Tubridy's radio show is the number one priority for 2fm's top brass.
    Three years after it first came on air, the high-profile slot has yet to find a backer despite RTE slashing the price of the year-long contract from €500,000 to €200,000.

HEART
    In trying to hook a sponsor, RTE has attached the 9am-11am 2fm Tubridy slot to the RTE flagship chat show presented by the same host.
    Their brochure reads: "Now one of Ireland's most popular broadcasters with half a million plus Late Late viewers every Friday night, 175,000 listeners daily on 2fm & 14,690 Tubridy Show Facebook followers this is now an opportune time for a sponsor to tap into Tubridy!
    "Over the last year Ryan Tubridy has stepped into the heart of the nation and has been getting very up close and personal with his listeners."
    New 2fm boss Healy is the former CEO of Independent Radio Sales and previously worked with The Irish Times, 98FM and Newstalk.

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/around-town/tubridys-show-still-left-without-sponsor-despite-cut-in-asking-price-29399849.html

I previously made the point of how cynical it was of tubs to exploit emotive topics, now we have it from rte themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

No stars will ever be sacked from 2fm even if their ratings plummet

The radio chief also sensationally snubbed former Westlife star Nicky Byrne who had filled in on Tubridy and hoped to land his own show on 2fm.
    He said: “We don’t want him. There will be no more Nicky Byrne because we have great broadcasters

Right so if there is not a single person listening to them, no texts for instance, they will still keep them on even though they will be talking to themselves? If they were in the normal workforce, they would be out the door in a week.

Arrogance or what.

But looking on the bright side, Nicky Byrne wont be back.

Finding a sponsor for Ryan Tubridy's radio show is the number one priority for 2fm's top brass.
    Three years after it first came on air, the high-profile slot has yet to find a backer despite RTE slashing the price of the year-long contract from €500,000 to €200,000.

HEART
    In trying to hook a sponsor, RTE has attached the 9am-11am 2fm Tubridy slot to the RTE flagship chat show presented by the same host.
    Their brochure reads: "Now one of Ireland's most popular broadcasters with half a million plus Late Late viewers every Friday night, 175,000 listeners daily on 2fm & 14,690 Tubridy Show Facebook followers this is now an opportune time for a sponsor to tap into Tubridy!
    "Over the last year Ryan Tubridy has stepped into the heart of the nation and has been getting very up close and personal with his listeners."
    New 2fm boss Healy is the former CEO of Independent Radio Sales and previously worked with The Irish Times, 98FM and Newstalk.
    http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/around-town/tubridys-show-still-left-without-sponsor-despite-cut-in-asking-price-29399849.html

I previously made the point of how cynical it was of tubs to exploit emotive topics, now we have it from rte themselves.

Funny that as the indo normally have the latest on tubs and exploit him.
    Facebook followers mean nothing.
    Tubs is great at delving into others lives yet when on air and he asks personal questions and one replies he ignores or goes off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

RTE 2fm will never mark the death of Gerry Ryan again – as the station’s new boss wants to finally move on.
    The Montrose chief has insisted it’s time to work on finding “other great presenters” rather than dwelling on the larger-than-life star’s legacy.
    And in his first in-depth interview since taking over, tough-talking Dan Healy told the Irish Mirror:

ah gerry ,

tubs in hot water over big girl bartoli comment. This won't go down well with his female listeners(99%) of his audience. It's like he is trying to test the new 2fm director's assertion that no big name presenter will ever be sacked.

tubs in hot water over big girl bartoli comment. This won't go down well with his female listeners(99%) of his audience. It's like he is trying to test the new 2fm director's assertion that no big name presenter will ever be sacked.
    no he's not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

I cant help wondering if Healy aint spinning here. As most, if not all of 2FM's on-air are contract, they'd never have to be sacked but their contracts might not be renewed when they expire .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

what did he say ? can only find an independent article from '4 hours ago' that's already 404'd, hrmm

Btr wrote: »
    I cant help wondering if Healy aint spinning here. As most, if not all of 2FM's on-air are contract, they'd never have to be sacked but their contracts might not be renewed when they expire .
    good point.

parasite wrote: »
    what did he say ? can only find an independent article from '4 hours ago' that's alread 404'd, hrmm
    looks like there was an about turn!

parasite wrote: »
    what did he say ? can only find an independent article from '4 hours ago' that's already 404'd, hrmm

I didn't hear it. The only snippet that remains from the article is "RYAN Tubridy has become the second broadcaster to receive complaints over remarks about the 2013 Wimbledon Ladies Single’s champion, Marion Bartoli."

Presumably 2fm complained to INM about it and requested the piece be removed from the website. It's not in today's paper either. With so many of Tubs listeners being women, it wouldn't have gone down well. Anyway, Marion Bartoli is hardly a "big girl", she is a top-level athlete who probably has low body-fat levels etc. She isn't beautiful in comparison to some of the East European female players. I don't know why Tubbins would even comment on such a thing.

I didn't hear it. The only snippet that remains from the article is "RYAN Tubridy has become the second broadcaster to receive complaints over remarks about the 2013 Wimbledon Ladies Single’s champion, Marion Bartoli."

Presumably 2fm complained to INM about it and requested the piece be removed from the website. It's not in today's paper either. With so many of Tubs listeners being women, it wouldn't have gone down well. Anyway, Marion Bartoli is hardly a "big girl", she is a top-level athlete who probably has low body-fat levels etc. She isn't beautiful in comparison to some of the East European female players. I don't know why Tubbins would even comment on such a thing.
    maybe he didn't ?

maybe he didn't ?

I don't know if he did or didn't make the comments. I wonder did the likes of Tinyk, Aidric or MrsdeWinter hear yesterday's show.

• Advertisement

No podcast?

"I find political correctness tedious," the 39-year-old said. "I think political correctness is one of the things that has killed passion, it has killed debate, it's killed fun."
    http://www.independent.ie/woman/celeb-news/to-hell-with-the-pc-brigade-there-isnt-enough-wolfwhistling-at-women-going-on-says-tubridy-28901329.html

Why didn't he have the guts to stand over what he said about Marion Bartoli rather than put the Independent under pressure to remove the article? He lectures people on democracy, free speech etc. but I think we all know what he is really like. If he thinks that MB is a big lady, he must have a very low opinion of the majority of Irish women. What scared him was the fact that most of his audience is comprised of middle-aged women, many of whom would be disgusted by his remarks. He wants this controversy to die down quickly.

(related to topic as the ronan interview was defended on the radio show)

typical...let the man off the hook and grill the woman
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/ill-be-asking-yvonne-the-tough-questions-about-ronan-insists-miriam-29408851.html

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

I heard it alright. What he said was that she was bigger than most of the women playing tennis and that it was good to see someone who didn't fit the usual stereotype doing so well. In my opinion the reaction from female listeners was split down the middle. One woman rang in and complained but others felt he had a fair point. I suppose the real issue is that if Bartoli was a man nobody would have made any comment on her size at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Tubridy trying to be outspoken and controversial like Gerry Ryan, and then backs down at the first sign of trouble... Dear god.. If he said it, he should have either stood over it or else apologised... But sticks his head in the sand as usual.. Same as the Ronan Keating interview, no backbone..

On a side note about Bartoli, I've seen some of the Twitter stuff about her, and it was unbelievable. It would leave you thinking that the world would be a better place if Twitter was shut down...

Tubridy trying to be outspoken and controversial like Gerry Ryan, and then backs down at the first sign of trouble... Dear god.. If he said it, he should have either stood over it or else apologised... But sticks his head in the sand as usual.. Same as the Ronan Keating interview, no backbone..

On a side note about Bartoli, I've seen some of the Twitter stuff about her, and it was unbelievable. It would leave you thinking that the world would be a better place if Twitter was shut down...
    Also on Bartoli....having missed the tennis...i looked her up yesterday...in her party outfit, lovely girl. ...and for balance Murray seems like a lovely fella too!

tinyk68 wrote: »
    I heard it alright. What he said was that she was bigger than most of the women playing tennis and that it was good to see someone who didn't fit the usual stereotype doing so well. In my opinion the reaction from female listeners was split down the middle. One woman rang in and complained but others felt he had a fair point. I suppose the real issue is that if Bartoli was a man nobody would have made any comment on her size at all.

Marion Bartoli 63kg
    Serena Williams 70kg
    Venus Williams 75kg
    Lindsay Davenport 80kg (I don't know if this was her weight when playing but she wouldn't have been far off it)

What point was Tubridy really trying to make, because to say that she is a "big girl" in tennis terms is absolute rubbish. The Williams sisters and Davenport must have won over 20 of the major titles between them in the past 15 years. MB is a very nice looking lady and is not an overly big tennis player. Tubridy was probably trying to play up to his female listeners but it backfired on him.

i can only guess that tubs made an uneducated remark based on an a tennis fantasy he once had and RTE moved swiftly to cover up to avoid any further embarassment on golden boy.

i can only guess that tubs made an uneducated remark based on an a tennis fantasy he once had and RTE moved swiftly to cover up to avoid any further embarassment on golden boy.

Think you're right + promised the women section of Independent a number of snippets from tubridy's life in exchange for removing article.

http://www.independent.ie/woman/celeb-news/ryan-tubridy-rushes-to-the-aid-of-unconscious-woman-29412699.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

But Tubridy (40) comes from a family of medics, including his late father Patrick and brother Garrett, and knew exactly what to do. “So I grabbed some coats off the shelf and some clothes from around me and I put them under the back of her head and laid her down on the ground."

He put a bunch of coats under her head... Do they teach that one in the Royal College Of Surgeons.. She was probably in a rush to get away from him, so I'd say he probably caused the problem more so than helped out.

Advertisement