Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Ryan's guests on his show this morning is Go West.

What's he trying to tell us?!

Hard to know, maybe he thinks one of the American networks will hire him?

He is the King of wishful thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Ryan's guests on his show this morning is Go West.

I first read that as "Ryan guests on his show".... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,345 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Skid X wrote: »
    Hard to know, maybe he thinks one of the American networks will hire him?

He is the King of wishful thinking.

Brilliant! Didn't get it at first cos I had to Google whose song that was. Although I'd say Tubridy is probably more casting longing looks east to his temp employer the Beeb...

http://www.independent.ie/videos/irish-news/glen-killane-and-ryan-tubridy-talk-about-the-changes-in-rte-29486397.html

Another interview with Tubridy, soft soap questions about there being "more pressure on him and others in RTE now that Pat Kenny is gone".. I tell you there is more pressure on them.. Because previously when a contrarian voice would ask Noel Curran about the high wages of RTE presenters, Curran would say "Pat Kenny is the best broadcaster in Ireland" which nobody could really disagree with AND this was used as a shield to protect the overpaid presenters on the tiers directly below him.

NOW, when Noel Curran is asked the same question.. he cant cite Pat Kenny.. He's then left to justify Tubridy, Finucane and Duffy... which nobody can justify.. With regard to Tubridy in the interview above.. Well what can you say.. He still thinks he Michael Parkinson, when the closest metaphor I can think of is Andy Carroll.. Paid way too much, and when he didnt perform they ship him off so that somebody else will give him a job.. He's completely delusional, he's there inside in the television with Mike Teevee.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Ava_e

The thing about Tubs is, he never comes across as a nice guy, but he knows what buttons to push... "I'm a big kid at heart, I love Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, my staff threw Jelly Beans at me this morning, Ladies is it this manic when getting the kids to school ?".

But scratch the surface and there is nothing, no empathy or engagement with callers who ring in about a sad event, death illness and robbery being his favs. He milks their call/distress -for ratings- but never gives an inch of himself back. Awful radio. Awful man.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Ava_e wrote: »
    The thing about Tubs is, he never comes across as a nice guy, but he knows what buttons to push... "I'm a big kid at heart, I love Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, my staff threw Jelly Beans at me this morning, Ladies is it this manic when getting the kids to school ?".

But scratch the surface and there is nothing, no empathy or engagement with callers who ring in about a sad event, death illness and robbery being his favs. He milks their call/distress -for ratings- but never gives an inch of himself back. Awful radio. Awful man.
    i tuned in this morning by mistake, awful awful awful radio...

Whatever about joe duffy at least he has his market....but tubs and miriam are quite simply, bad at their job!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

i tuned in this morning by mistake, awful awful awful radio...

Whatever about joe duffy at least he has his market....but tubs and miriam are quite simply, bad at their job!

That old chestnut...

That old chestnut...
    withnail reference

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

I just caught the end of the show today and to my disgust he was sucking the life out for info on a woman's child that died l.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

This is absolutely dreadful radio. Tubridy chatting with Tara Loughrey-Grant about romantic comedies. "Oh I love Hugh Grant", "oh that film is for girls" "Oh Emma Thompson was magnificent in that". If someone was carrying on that conversation beside you in a pub you would move away. Really think that Tubs will permanently damage his reputation by staying on with this garbage. Also, when the reviewer was leaving the studio tubs asked her what she is doing for the rest of the day and Tubbins asked her how is her son Alex keeping. Never hear him mention his daughters name. Utterly pathetic

Forgot to mention that he seems to hate twitter now. Thinks that all the good people who were on have left and now it is only for the bad guys. Spent first two days banging on about this. Few years ago he used to ask every guest "Do you tweet?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I was disappointed yesterday when he was talking to the "paparazzi" guy about taking photos that there was not a full row, it was heading in that direction, but alas it was not to be.:(

Tubs was asking about the morals of the pics he was taking, but the guy was saying that Tubs talks and reads about them himself so he should ask himself the same question (I am paraphrasing )which I thought was a valid point, but the guy too was washing his hands of responsibility as well and passing the buck to the publishers.

weight issue girl: my sister was a fussy eater and she used to pass her plate to me, and i was seen as the good girl always finishing her dinner.

Tubs: like a dog getting her belly rubbed

Tubs: show me the before pic?

weight issue girl: there ya go

Tubs: MASSIVE

That's the picture of them from earlier.. Decent of Tubridy to take the attention away from her weight by dressing like a cock..
    526862_10153167324580521_2146071989_n.jpg

Thought it was a very strange interview... Fair play to her for losing all the weight (albeit having become a bit narcissistic with it), but I thought the whole four legs good, two legs bad attitude to overweight people was a bit strange and non pc for a presenter that is soooo painfully politically correct.. .. I'm absolutely certain that if it was somebody on saying "I'm big and I'm proud" Tubridy would be vehemently agreeing with them that they were right as well... He changes like the wind...

For those who missed it, I think this interview with Shane Filan from July of this year actually topped his Ronan Keating interview for lack of backbone..

http://www.rte.ie/2fm/tubridy/programmes/2013/0712/462103-tubridy-friday-12-july-2013/?clipid=1264586

I bet Filan is wishing the banks had given him such an easy ride..

The cover of his new book. He has started promoting it on his radio show quite regularly over the past week. Keeps bringing it up anytime anyone even mentions anything British. I wonder will he dumb down even more due to now having two serious competitors from 10(+ ray darcy).

519E6jcfSBL._SL500_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Sharri

but I thought the whole four legs good, two legs bad attitude to overweight people was a bit strange and non pc for a presenter that is soooo painfully politically correct.. ..

I don't really think that's the case with Tubs. I used to listen to his show a lot but one of the things that put me off it was his habit of mumbling sexist remarks before playing a song or cutting to an ad break. I remember the rage it would induce distinctly well. Stuff like what women should/shouldn't wear, that watching sex and the city helped him to learn that all girls could be categorized into the four types of women on the show, that a picture of a ladies' GAA team in the paper (they'd won a big game or something) was a 'nice change' because they were wearing make-up and usually these types of girls can 'look a bit rough' or something to that extent. Also he once mumbled something disparaging about a transexual woman that I can't quite remember. Something about the whole thing being 'odd'. These are going back about a year but like I said, it's the reason I can't stand him anymore.

Also here's a quote from him on the topic of being PC:
    http://www.independent.ie/woman/celeb-news/to-hell-with-the-pc-brigade-there-isnt-enough-wolfwhistling-at-women-going-on-says-tubridy-28901329.html

Sharri wrote: »
    I don't really think that's the case with Tubs. I used to listen to his show a lot but one of the things that put me off it was his habit of mumbling sexist remarks before playing a song or cutting to an ad break. I remember the rage it would induce distinctly well. Stuff like what women should/shouldn't wear, that watching sex and the city helped him to learn that all girls could be categorized into the four types of women on the show, that a picture of a ladies' GAA team in the picture (they'd won a big game or something) was a 'nice change' because they were wearing make-up and usually these types of girls can 'look a bit rough' or something to that extent. Also he once mumbled something disparaging about a transexual woman that I can't quite remember. Something about the whole thing being 'odd'. These are going back about a year but like I said, it's the reason I can't stand him anymore.

http://www.independent.ie/woman/celeb-news/to-hell-with-the-pc-brigade-there-isnt-enough-wolfwhistling-at-women-going-on-says-tubridy-28901329.html[/QUOTE]

I commented on this before. He made homophobic remarks about not wanting to watch "Brokeback Mountain" and has muttered several remarks about gay people in the past. However if any of his pals such as Gerry Ryan or Jimmy Savile are in the news, he will gloss over it. Another example of this was his remark that "Barack Obama isn't black". He is a nasty little man. The funny thing is he has been trying to appeal to women like you in the past year, he just hasn't a clue how to do it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

ghiertal wrote: »
    I commented on this before. He made homophobic remarks about not wanting to watch "Brokeback Mountain" and has muttered several remarks about gay people in the past. However if any of his pals such as Gerry Ryan or Jimmy Savile are in the news, he will gloss over it. Another example of this was his remark that "Barack Obama isn't black". He is a nasty little man. The funny thing is he has been trying to appeal to women like you in the past year, he just hasn't a clue how to do it.

Comments like this will not be tolerated. If you can't give an opinion on the show without dragging your personal opinion against the presenter into it, then perhaps you shouldn't be here. 24 hour ban given, I suggest you use it as time to think about your posts here in future.

Splinter

He has a woman on now who lost her mind by going too far into the world of angels and reiki. Tubs "Please stay on the line until after the news because i'm really interested in the world of angels."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

I do agree with most of the comments that are being posted so that is why I don't listen to him on the radio.

• Advertisement

tuned into all our radio kingpins this morning...Pat kenny is doing well it must be said!
    I think i like Anton Savage...he may be a shape shifting reptilian from another dimension but he holds his own on the radio...he's even made all darcys annoying co hosts irrelevant!

Tubs ...as he would say himself ...bottom of the class, poor today getting insecure women to phone up with their woes while tubs makes them cry and hangs up leaving them with more issues then they had when they rang up first!!
    (i'm actaully quite suspicious regarding the authenticity of these calls)

Sharri wrote: »
    I don't really think that's the case with Tubs. I used to listen to his show a lot but one of the things that put me off it was his habit of mumbling sexist remarks before playing a song or cutting to an ad break. I remember the rage it would induce distinctly well. Stuff like what women should/shouldn't wear, that watching sex and the city helped him to learn that all girls could be categorized into the four types of women on the show, that a picture of a ladies' GAA team in the paper (they'd won a big game or something) was a 'nice change' because they were wearing make-up and usually these types of girls can 'look a bit rough' or something to that extent. Also he once mumbled something disparaging about a transexual woman that I can't quite remember. Something about the whole thing being 'odd'. These are going back about a year but like I said, it's the reason I can't stand him anymore.

http://www.independent.ie/woman/celeb-news/to-hell-with-the-pc-brigade-there-isnt-enough-wolfwhistling-at-women-going-on-says-tubridy-28901329.html
    I actually heard that interview, and that lady was an arsehole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

That's one of the most annoying accents ever. Tubs is nearly creaming himself hearing the American accent.
    "Like, like, totally, like, like"

i can only tune in between songs...the music is horrendous...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Gotta say, listeining to RT for the first time in a while (pretty much only cos I can't get today FM to stream this morning).

I'm actually quiet enjoying it. It's not the total car crash it was or has a reputation of being. He's coming across as very personable and having some decent chats with a few callers. I might give it a go for a week or two to get a better perspective.

Tubs: "can they determine how she died from the dna results or or or or or or or (please say something caller)"

very unpleasant piece on kylie minougue this morning....jaysus if it was brought to her attention, she would be on the phone to have tubs for breakfast!!
    (is she on twitter?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

very unpleasant piece on kylie minougue this morning....jaysus if it was brought to her attention, she would be on the phone to have tubs for breakfast!!
    (is she on twitter?)

What was said?

What was said?
    to be honest i'm going to have to go back and listen again...tubs talking about childless women over 40...was never going to end well, girl rang him and to me it sounded like he was diggin a deeper hole!

• Advertisement

i seem to be posting a lot here ...have all gheirtals posts been deleted or something?

Advertisement