Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭georgesstreet

RayM wrote: »
    This idea that he got in on the back of political influence is nonsense. He started out making tea and coffee for Gerry Ryan and eventually became an occasional reporter on Pat Kenny's show (he was usually given the crappiest, most embarrassing assignments) and was really impressive. He's not really suited to his current show, but the Full Irish and his Radio 1 show were both great - as was Tubridy Tonight. When he's allowed to just be himself, he's an excellent presenter. Neither his current 2FM show nor the Late Late Show give him that opportunity.

I have to say I suspect this might well be true. The few times I have heard him on the electric wireless he comes over as desperate to be good with children, or desperate to be the happy cheerful presenter, etc etc, and I've always been left with the impression that it's an act, and that maybe if he would just relax, be himself, take a deep breath that he might just be a really good presenter.

I have no basis for knowing if he would be a good presenter, but his style, as I have heard it, seems unsuited to him.

Again, remembering back to G Ryan, I always got the impression that G Ryan was just himself, the same on air as off air, and I don't get that impression with Tubridy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Again, remembering back to G Ryan, I always got the impression that G Ryan was just himself, the same on air as off air, and I don't get that impression with Tubridy.

Can't say I got that impression, especially when he was decrying the drug dealers on air, then going home and hoovering up a mountain of yayo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

mikom wrote: »
    Can't say I got that impression, especially when he was decrying the drug dealers on air, then going home and hoovering up a mountain of yayo.

Did you know that before he died, though?

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

Expunge wrote: »
    ......The home of Chris Evans, Steve Wright, Ken Bruce, Simon Mayo etc.?
    Nah - Tubridy doesn't fit in that league in my opinion.

His agent Noel Kelly is some man to even get Tubridy in the door there. Kelly should get a go at being Taoiseach.

BBCR2 is the home of some great presenters and yet they chanced spoiling that by giving Tubridy a go. Get real. If every jock was equally as good anyway you wouldn't have graveyard shift presenters like Alex Lester on R2 would you.

What were R2 thinking by allwoing Lester on air. He's not as good as Evans.

The class of presenters is not the difference between Premier League and League of Ireland. It's the top 10 teams in the Premier League.

Noel Kelly is some agent, he gets paid by Tubs to represent him. That's what he did with the BBC. But don't think for a minute it was all pull by Kelly.

Do you think the talent or abilty of Tubridy was ever considered by BBC before they allowed him on air on a number of different occasions? Do you not think they listened to his demo and test runs before he went on air?

Some decisions need to made about Ryan's radio show on 2fm. But no replacement for Gerry Ryan was ever going to pull in the same figures. People grew up listening to Gerry and had a loyalty towards him. Radio audiences are diluted now, same as TV.

Ryan in a small way is/was probably a victim of his own success. RTE saw him as the number 1 replacement for some of their high profile shows. No chance to build a loyal following in a regular slot.

Yes, I am on here supporting Ryan Tubridy. God knows he needs it. I don't like to see vitriol. If Tubs left or got the boot tomorrow, attention would then turn to the next person who needs "taking down a peg or two".

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

More Music wrote: »
    BBCR2 is the home of some great presenters and yet they chanced spoiling that by giving Tubridy a go. Get real. If every jock was equally as good anyway you wouldn't have graveyard shift presenters like Alex Lester on R2 would you.

What were R2 thinking by allwoing Lester on air. He's not as good as Evans.

The class of presenters is not the difference between Premier League and League of Ireland. It's the top 10 teams in the Premier League.

Noel Kelly is some agent, he gets paid by Tubs to represent him. That's what he did with the BBC. But don't think for a minute it was all pull by Kelly.

Do you think the talent or abilty of Tubridy was ever considered by BBC before they allowed him on air on a number of different occasions? Do you not think they listened to his demo and test runs before he went on air?

Some decisions need to made about Ryan's radio show on 2fm. But no replacement for Gerry Ryan was ever going to pull in the same figures. People grew up listening to Gerry and had a loyalty towards him. Radio audiences are diluted now, same as TV.

Ryan in a small way is/was probably a victim of his own success. RTE saw him as the number 1 replacement for some of their high profile shows. No chance to build a loyal following in a regular slot.

Yes, I am on here supporting Ryan Tubridy. God knows he needs it. I don't like to see vitriol. If Tubs left or got the boot tomorrow, attention would then turn to the next person who needs "taking down a peg or two".

People grew up listening to Tubridy as well but then they decided to emigrate when they saw that you need to have pull and political influence to get on in this country. How many viewers has he lost on the LLS? When PK was hosting it the audience figures seemed to be the 900k mark now it is closer to 500k. He has lost more than half of Gerry's audience. Plus every single person on here knows that he has a job for life in RTE no matter how poorly he performs and now we have all these Katie Smidgens telling us that we should feel sorry for him.
    He could have helped Gerry instead he turned his back on him. So much nonsense being posted on here, he is working in a competitive environment and is open to criticism declaration of love to his fellow RTE presenter he writes: "Aoibhinn, the lady whose elegance is unsurpassed and whose support is inestimable. Mo Ghrá. Thank you."

• Advertisement

ghiertal wrote: »
    People grew up listening to Tubridy as well but then they decided to emigrate when they saw that you need to have pull and political influence to get on in this country. How many viewers has he lost on the LLS? When PK was hosting it the audience figures seemed to be the 900k mark now it is closer to 500k. He has lost more than half of Gerry's audience. Plus every single person on here knows that he has a job for life in RTE no matter how poorly he performs and now we have all these Katie Smidgens telling us that we should feel sorry for him.
    He could have helped Gerry instead he turned his back on him. So much nonsense being posted on here, he is working in a competitive environment and is open to criticism declaration of love to his fellow RTE presenter he writes: "Aoibhinn, the lady whose elegance is unsurpassed and whose support is inestimable. Mo Ghrá. Thank you."
    I am not interested in running down anyone, which seems to be your chief pleasure here concerning Tubridy, from the recent evidence of your posts.

That you do that so consistently, and with such apparent venom, seems to say more about the sort of person you are than about anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

ghiertal wrote: »
    People grew up listening to Tubridy as well but then they decided to emigrate when they saw that you need to have pull and political influence to get on in this country.

This is nonsense. Do you have any specific evidence that his career has been helped by "political influence"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

This is nonsense. Do you have any specific evidence that his career has been helped by "political influence"?

I believe he is referring to his family links to RTE. A lot of people believe he didn't work hard enough for the slots he holds today. I'm afraid it's no different anywhere else.

bbability wrote: »
    I believe he is referring to his family links to RTE. A lot of people believe he didn't work hard enough for the slots he holds today. I'm afraid it's no different anywhere else.

So why say "political connections" if he means "family links". Why do you believe that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

So why say "political connections" if he means "family links". Why do you believe that?
    His family links are political. Simple!

• Advertisement

jimmynokia wrote: »
    His family links are political. Simple!

How confusing. bbability said he believed the other poster used the expression "political connections" when he in fact meant "family links". So when I asked him why he believed that, you reply, on his behalf, "his family links are political. Simple!" which seems to be a non sequitur and misunderstand the point at issue.

bbability wrote: »

His grandfather was chairman of the RTE Authority for a few years in the 1960s. Even if that link somehow did earn him a job making cups of tea for Gerry Ryan in the '90s, he progressed because he's ambitious and because his earlier shows were extremely popular with viewers and listeners. I'm not saying that he's well suited to his current slots, but I've yet to see a single shred of evidence that he got them as a result of either his dead grandfather or his links to Fianna Fail.

His grandfather was chairman of the RTE Authority for a few years in the 1960s. Even if that link somehow did earn him a job making cups of tea for Gerry Ryan in the '90s, he progressed because he's ambitious and because his earlier shows were extremely popular with viewers and listeners. I'm not saying that he's well suited to his current slots, but I've yet to see a single shred of evidence that he got them as a result of either his dead grandfather or his links to Fianna Fail.

All of which is, however, irrelevant nowadays unless one is determined to sit on the sidelines sniping, as a few here seem to crave.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

All of which is, however, irrelevant nowadays unless one is determined to sit on the sidelines sniping, as a few here seem to crave.

In case you didn't know RTE is a place where family gets the jobs, no chance for the talent pool that is available in the general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Expunge

More Music wrote: »

I think Noel Kelly exploited the timing of Wogan's departure as a good agent should. He did his selling job brilliantly. One of biggest stars on Irish radio and TV just turning 40. Looks perfect.
    I'm merely suggesting that he may not be such a great fit for BBC R2 where sensitivity to a strict music playlist and a stellar personality (to suit British tastes) is required.
    Like I said, I think he has many fine qualities as a broadcaster - maybe 5 Live would be a better fit.
    He may have been over-sold to the Beeb on this occasion.
    I'm sure they do plenty of internal research on how their presenters are thought of amongst Radio 2 listenership, so if they take him on full time, they know what they're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭serfboard

His grandfather was chairman of the RTE Authority for a few years in the 1960s. Even if that link somehow did earn him a job making cups of tea for Gerry Ryan in the '90s
    I'm not saying that he's well suited to his current slots, but I've yet to see a single shred of evidence that he got them as a result of either his dead grandfather or his links to Fianna Fail.
    You're contradicting yourself here.

The allegation being made is that he "got his toe in the door" through his family connections. I suspect that allegation is correct. We've all seen it - it's called nepotism and though it's not restricted to this country, it's rampant here and it's even endorsed by the general populace by voting in sons and daughters in local and general elections.

I don't think anyone is saying that he got his current slots through his connections. The point is that Trubridy getting his foot in the door excludes someone else - someone who may be more talented than him. And I don't think you can blame people for feeling frustrated by that.

serfboard wrote: »

The allegation being made is that he "got his toe in the door" through his family connections. I suspect that allegation is correct. We've all seen it - it's called nepotism and though it's not restricted to this country, it's rampant here and it's even endorsed by the general populace by voting in sons and daughters in local and general elections.

I don't think anyone is saying that he got his current slots through his connections. The point is that Trubridy getting his foot in the door excludes someone else - someone who may be more talented than him. And I don't think you can blame people for feeling frustrated by that.

Which people?

I'm not contradicting myself. Just to be clear, I was ridiculing the idea that his dead grandfather enabled him to get a job making tea for Gerry Ryan. Had he walked directly into a presenting job, the nepotism argument might be slightly more plausible.

Had he walked directly into a presenting job, the nepotism argument might be slightly more plausible.
    Nepotism rarely works by putting someone straight into the top job. That's all too obvious.

The way nepotism usually works is to get you in the door. In fairness, you have to work once you get in, but your getting in excludes someone else - someone who may be more talented.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Nepotism rarely works by putting someone straight into the top job. That's all too obvious.

The way nepotism usually works is to get you in the door. In fairness, you have to work once you get in, but your getting in excludes someone else - someone who may be more talented.

At what? Making tea? You said that you have to prove yourself once you get in there. Therefore, if you are not good enough, you won't get a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I believe young tubs was obsessed with broadcasting, therefore would have easily progressed in RTE....however this may have cost him life experience, which shows in his programmes and interviewing.

I still don't know which people you claimed to be talking about in your last post.

You have interesting views on nepotism and I was unaware, for example, that Gaffafi's sons began their careers making tea before being appointed ministers etc in Libya. Nepotism is not about making the tea.

If your beef is that he should not have got in because somewhere, someone else might have not got it, that is not really any argument and more reveals the weakness of your position.

Every time someone gets a job ( and in this case a job making the tea) someone else doesn't get it. Every time a government minister is appointed someone else doesn't get it. Every time anyone gets any job, anywhere, then someone else doesn't get it.

joeguevara wrote: »
    At what? Making tea?
    I was unaware, for example, that Gaffafi's sons began their careers making tea ...
    Every time someone gets a job ( and in this case a job making the tea)
    Don't know what the obsession is here about tea-making.

Tubridy did not start off in a job in the RTE canteen.

I don't know who Gaffafi is either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭July Rain

Hector and Larry gogan are getting axed from 2fm but Tubridy (who has lost the most listeners in the.history of the station) stays. Very unfair !

Don't know what the obsession is here about tea-making.

Tubridy did not start off in a job in the RTE canteen.

I don't know who Gaffafi is either.

To read that Tubridy started off making tea for G Ryan, and to consequently know that, is not an "obsession". Your pejorative language probably says more about you than you meant to reveal.

"Gaffadi" is a typo for Gadafi. I'd have thought the reference to Libya would have been a clue to most people, and your faux obtuseness again says more about you than you probably meant to reveal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

To read that Tubridy started off making tea for G Ryan, and to consequently know that, is not an "obsession".

Yeah serious obsessive digging, that reading of a wikipedia piece....... :cool:

Tubridy started in broadcasting at the age of 12, reviewing books for the RTÉ 2FM show Poporama presented by Ruth Buchanan.[34] He earned £25 per show. After leaving college he became a runner in RTÉ, initially working on The Gerry Ryan Show as maker of tea and coffee.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Tubridy

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

To read that Tubridy started off making tea for G Ryan, and to consequently know that, is not an "obsession". Your pejorative language probably says more about you than you meant to reveal.

"Gaffadi" is a typo for Gadafi. I'd have thought the reference to Libya would have been a clue to most people, and your faux obtuseness again says more about you than you probably meant to reveal.
    ...you've been here before!! I can sense it!

Your pejorative language probably says more about you than you meant to reveal.
    your faux obtuseness again says more about you than you probably meant to reveal.

Your use of repetition says more about you than you meant to reveal.
    To read that Tubridy started off making tea for G Ryan, and to consequently know that, is not an "obsession".
    True. But to keep repeating it sounds like an obsession to me.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

enough folks, stay on topic and less of the digs at each other. If you have a problem with another poster, use the report function.

Splinter

• Advertisement

None of which proves that Ryan Tubridy got a foot in the door as a result of nepotism.

If he was in the right slot, we wouldn't be having this conversation. His 2FM show is failing miserably because he's basically been shoehorned into Gerry Ryan's show, despite being the polar opposite of Gerry Ryan - in every imaginable way. I don't know why they thought that would make sense. It would be like... I don't know... hiring Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh to present Xposé.

Advertisement