Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 nmoran

Listening to Tubridy is like spending 2 hours humouring an insincere, pampered, unaware, hyperactive, autistic, at times self-pitying, 10 year old American, bookish, show-off while he forces you to:
    • Watch his favourite 'hilarious' YouTube clips
    • Listen to him read obscure articles he finds fascinating on Wikipedia
    • Enthuse about his 'enviable' book/DVD/CD collections
    • Play his games with his favourite retro toys.

Add the following:
    • Relentless nostalgia (where if you mention something you have to hum/sing the theme tune or quote some obscure related factoid that no-one else knows),
    • Forced, witless, inane pointless,filler exchanges with producers/news-readers.
    • Clear politic bias/sympathy to a party which has contributed to the near bankrupcty of the a country which has made him a millionaire partly based on license fees
    • The creepy/roundabout way he has of saying that he finds a particular women attractive (Watching Nigella Lawson with mute on!).
    • Limit exchanges with listeners to meaningless 140 character tweets and take pointless calls like the lady today who was not allowed to buy B-B-Q sauce in Tesco before 10:30 due to its alcohol content.

On top sprinkle over-use of words such as peculiar, curious, stuff and deliver all of this empty non-sense in a patch-work of 50 different voices/impersonations.

While I said earlier that I listen because it was enjoyable cringe-worthy like Alan Partridge, I am not finding it funny anymore, (however I would say that the production meetings before and after the show must be comedy gold at this point as the show flounders and they try to rescue it). Just a mix of annoying and pitiful. He is clearly lonely, isolated and in need of love but afraid/unable to open up to others instead he relentlessly tries to connect via his wit, intellect and interest in what he would refer to as 'stuff'. He is failing.

I know I am repeating some of what I said in an earlier post, but I enjoy trying to define exactly why I find him so annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Also today he was inviting people to talk about places they visited, people rang in with Sydney,Paris, Egypt, etc all of which he had no interest in discussing.

Then a woman rings in, says she is going to NY. Jaysis he went on for 10mins about his favourite places in NY.
    It's definitely the "Tubridy show", anything not of interest to Tubridy or beyond his limited scope of comprehension doesn't get a look in.

self-obsessed idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Poly wrote: »
    Also today he was inviting people to talk about places they visited, people rang in with Sydney,Paris, Egypt, etc all of which he had no interest in discussing.

Then a woman rings in, says she is going to NY. Jaysis he went on for 10mins about his favourite places in NY.
    It's definitely the "Tubridy show", anything not of interest to Tubridy or beyond his limited scope of comprehension doesn't get a look in.

self-obsessed idiot.

Ah, now that you mention it I remember that as well, plus I recall him explaining to the woman how amazing Washington DC was. Ive been there, done the open top bus thing and yes it was good to kill a few hours but not as good as he was gloating over it (considering we are talking about amazing places to visit and see in the world) Washington would be way down the pecking order, maybe Georgetown in Washington but that's the best place there in IMO. Still, we all know he's a big US/politics/Kennedy/stars n stripes etc so I suppose that was to be expected. To be fair to the guy if it was my show I'd probably be harping on about my personal spots that would not appeal to everybody as well, but not every day....US/Kennedy/Obama/tweet/Books/Congress/Tea party/State of the Union/twitaradery bla bla bla.

Please just stick to the papers for the first 20 min and whats on them, Oh and while I'm moaning, the interaction with one of his producers and news reader during the papers or before he stars the papers is not funny and does not seem to work, if anything its very distracting. It works for Howard Stern but he's a different personality so it works and suits his style, Ryan should drop that segment or very occasionally have the news reader come on.

Sorry Ryan just need to get that off my chest. I do enjoy reviews of the papers at 9am but other than 2fm there is not alot of option (or please somebody else recommend a station to me that just does the papers for the first 20 min)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

twitter twit JFK BILL CLINTON books

ok this morning i tuned in to see if any change and the answer is no he is getting worse
    the news cocked up and he just jumped in and took over he would be fired on the spot im my eyes
    then he looks at what he wants on the papers for 5 mins
    and goes on and on with the usual trying to be funny twitter teet twit book jkf lark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

All I can say is.....sweet christ he is awful...how in the name of all that is good and holy,did he get where he is today....He never listens to an answer to a question he asks....more interested in having what he thinks is a smart comment...for jaysus sake tubridy...listen...just fecking listen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I had to laugh at him saying "boring, boring" over and over today at the all the Rooney stories in the papers.
    J.F.K...... Mad men..................book.............tweet...........oh, and a new one.... tonsils.

mikom wrote: »
    I had to laugh at him saying "boring, boring" over and over today at the all the Rooney stories in the papers.
    J.F.K...... Mad men..................book.............tweet...........oh, and a new one.... tonsils.
    With in 2 minutes of the programme trying to remember the newsreaders childs name, he remembers him because he is Jack so he thinks of Jack kennedy to remember!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭deise man

Just wondering if anybody heard what he said about Kate Egan at the start of todays show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

deise man wrote: »
    Just wondering if anybody heard what he said about Kate Egan at the start of todays show.

This morning's show appears to be up already.. (it's labelled 21st october anyway).. and there is no mention of Kate Egan... though the first few minutes of the show do appear to be cut, as the repeat show starts AFTER his review of the papers..

Who's Kate Egan?

• Advertisement

Poly wrote: »
    Who's Kate Egan?
    Google tells me that there is a Kate Egan that works in RTE newsroom / reporting...

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Tubridy is a smarmy git. I loved the newspaper round up Gerry used to do every morn, but cant even bring myself to listen to Tubridy do it.

Tubridy is a smarmy git. I loved the newspaper round up Gerry used to do every morn, but cant even bring myself to listen to Tubridy do it.
    Who do you listen to as an alternative for the papers Windmill?

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

miketv wrote: »
    Who do you listen to as an alternative for the papers Windmill?

There is none is there?!

There is none is there?!
    I dont think so, After Gerry died I channel hopped alot but there did not appear to be any other station reviewing/opinion of papers at 9am. (thats the half hr I get up and travel to work) Tubridy appears to be the best average of a bad lot.

Did I hear him mention that "the Examiner" is the only paper is that is not mean to him?

Looks like "the Times" has been added his long list of meanies along with us boardsies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 nmoran

Listening to Tubridy is like spending 2 hours humouring an insincere, pampered, unaware, hyperactive, autistic, at times self-pitying, 10 year old American, bookish, show-off while he forces you to....................play his games with his favourite retro toys.

This morning my previous description of Tubs has come to pass. Everyone who comes into the studio is going to have too play Buckaroo and Trivial Pursuit

Sad..and funny..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

I tuned in for a little longer today, Pat Kenny's off and I can't listen to Myles Dungan.

I've heard Tubridy joke about Alan Partridge in the past, when taking the micky out of himself....'I'm having an Alan Partridge moment' kind of stuff.
    Not sure if he realises that, with this new show, he has actually morphed into Partridge on Radio Norwich. As has been mentioned already, the banter with the newsreader and his production staff (team Tubs, I heard him say before) is embarrassing. Steve Coogan would be envious of the material.

I'm starting to feel sorry for him, you can almost sense that he knows he's floundering...very badly.

It's uncanny.

Cole wrote: »
    I tuned in for a little longer today, Pat Kenny's off and I can't listen to Myles Dungan.

I've heard Tubridy joke about Alan Partridge in the past, when taking the micky out of himself....'I'm having an Alan Partridge moment' kind of stuff.
    Not sure if he realises that, with this new show, he has actually morphed into Partridge on Radio Norwich. As has been mentioned already, the banter with the newsreader and his production staff (team Tubs, I heard him say before) is embarrassing. Steve Coogan would be envious of the material.

I'm starting to feel sorry for him, you can almost sense that he knows he's floundering...very badly.

It's uncanny.

Wow I see what you mean, amazing stuff. Maybe thats what Ryan is doing, purposely immating Alan Partridge as a joke to see if it takes off...
    weird thing is like somebody posted earlier Its so bad it good makes me continue listening

i think he is trying anything to gain popularity it aint working

i actually sent in a text stfu today i flicked in to see if anything has changed and guess what it has not :eek:

• Advertisement

jimmynokia wrote: »
    i actually sent in a text stfu today

Careful now.. He'll get his FF friends to set the guards on you for sending him abusive texts...

yeah they are probably all pencils wearing suits too :D

jimmynokia wrote: »
    i think he is trying anything to gain popularity it aint working
    This new show has shown up his complete lack of talent, his lack of talent is a result of his pampered D4 lifestyle, he has no real life experience on which to draw on to try an fill 2 hours.
    He has probably never had a real job, never worked minimum wage, never got fired or letgo, probably never even sat a job interview.
    He probably never lived and worked abroad (or outside D4 for that matter)and has no experience of dealing with people of different cultures, races or religions.
    Everything subject he covers has to be brought back to something he can relate to TV, JFK, books, films, D4. Makes for very dull, tedious radio.
    He got away with on radio1 for an hour but his toolbox is now empty, he has nothing new to offer, he is now relying on his newsreaders to inject some life into a failing show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

The 'banter' with the newsreader after the news is terrible, she is clearly uncomfortable talking to him.
    It is so bad though its good, he was going on about Imelda May again yesterday. And the name for the Kangaroo or Wallaby or whatever it was went on for way too long. His constant references to things that people dont know anything about nearly makes blood come out of my ears.
    "JFK, twitter, books, Obama, Mad Men, Clinton, Haw Haw"

He'll be gone in the new year, or soon after it.

I dont use twitter, but will someone who does, send him a 'tweet' to check out boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

MJ23 wrote: »
    I dont use twitter, but will someone who does, send him a 'tweet' to check out boards.ie.

I have emailed RTE with the link for this discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

I'm going to try to be generous here because I've reached the stage where I leap out of bed after Morning Ireland just to turn the dial from Radio 1, so inane is the show, so here goes...
    Perhaps Big Tone is right and it's the show's timing and format which causes problems. Tubs obviously rates himself as a current affairs heavy hitter in a sports jacket :rolleyes: so why not let him get his teeth into something weighty, perhaps 1 decent interview over 1 hour.
    I seem to remember that when Marian Finucane was in the same slot, it felt very haphazard and chaotic. Now that she can prepare for her weekend show and, I suppose, gets the resources for research and good guests, she can probe people a little more and get to the heart of issues.
    I actually believe RT has no feel for people, wreathing his contempt or lack of the common touch in barbed humour, which is wearing very very thin.

the bolded comment was made on the first page of this thread about 2 years ago and basically puts into words exactly how I feel about Ryan Tubridy. Its bang on the money in describing his humour.

He is not even a bad bloke I would say, just a victim of his own environment and circumstances.Another poster mentioned that he has probably never had to interract with people of different races, classes or cultures, never been laid off, had a normal job, even sat a job interview. These are all very viable arguments.

He is not my cuppa tea, very hard to relate to the bloke if you are not living in Killiney or the like.I struggle to see where his area of talent or expertise is. Many a time ive seen him interview someone I enjoy listening to. And its ruined by the fact Tubridy is the one asking the questions. He knows nothing about sport, music (post 1950s) and he lacks alot of things that should be natural in someone commanding his salary and airtime, such as common touch and passing interest in just about everything.

He has had it extremely easy thus far at RTE. And I see no reason why it will not continue for years to come such is their policy of ramming their percevied "chosen one" down the publics throat, until he has been around so long so that he becomes a permanent fixture in peoples lives by the medium of radio/TV and then becomes old and moves into legend territory. "Leave him there long enough and people will learn to stomach him". Longevity is seen as success for RTE regardless of talent. Besides, the real talent doesn't stick around Ireland too long in the media game.

Having said all that, I personally don't understand the constant whinging about him, I choose to turn him off personally and don't worry about it. listening figures (and viewing figures for TV) will tell their story.

People who consistently tune in in order to formulate an argument as to why he is sh*te, make me laugh even more than Ryan's Partridgesque cringworthy style. It defeats the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Jayob10 wrote: »
    Having said all that, I personally don't understand the constant whinging about him, I choose to turn him off personally and don't worry about it. listening figures (and viewing figures for TV) will tell their story.

Well, I'm delighted to say I no longer (have to) listen to him because he's over there on 2FM. He takes me to a bad place.
    Ultimately, you're right: it's the ratings which will make or break him - or, at any rate, it should be the ratings... With RTE, who knows?

the ratings are dropping by the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

On RTE1 with Myles Dungan right now, plugging his Kennedy book which by the sound of things will be a total rehash of all the Kennedy cliches you ever heard.

• Advertisement

delaad wrote: »
    On RTE1 with Myles Dungan right now, plugging his Kennedy book which by the sound of things will be a total rehash of all the Kennedy cliches you ever heard.

Jeez, he's been harping on about it so long I thought he was picking up where Jim Garrison left off.
    Must be hard for a struggling author to get a spot on th national airwaves:rolleyes:

Advertisement