Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

jimmynokia wrote: »
    You obviously don't or just have nothing else to do. I made a simple comment. By looking at the last few comment's you don't seem to stop. Goodnight.

Jesus, talk about getting worked up over nothing.

You claimed Tubs was putting it on, to which I responded that he's either putting it on or he's a great actor.

Then you go and call me a troll !? Don't see much logic there myself

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

it doesn't matter if he cant kick snow off a rope etc. the point is that he wore his heart on his sleeve during that interview and was just saying that if it was anybody near & dear to him, he'd do his best to protect them - just like i hope someone would do for me. jesus what does it matter what weight he is or his fighting ability??!! personally if it was me id probably refuse to even talk to the b**tard.
    also, the call was a
    fake to improve listnership??!! im wondering are the people who think this also in denial of domestic violence?

Read the post again. It was balanced, not favouritism.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Jesus, talk about getting worked up over nothing.

You claimed Tubs was putting it on, to which I responded that he's either putting it on or he's a great actor.

Then you go and call me a troll !? Don't see much logic there myself

Well as I said who knows, to be honest I don't care either he handled the topic well as much as dislike him.
    I'm sure the BAI will decide anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭hawley

it doesn't matter if he cant kick snow off a rope etc. the point is that he wore his heart on his sleeve during that interview and was just saying that if it was anybody near & dear to him, he'd do his best to protect them - just like i hope someone would do for me. jesus what does it matter what weight he is or his fighting ability??!! personally if it was me id probably refuse to even talk to the b**tard.
    also, the call was a
    fake to improve listnership??!! im wondering are the people who think this also in denial of domestic violence?
    no it is gutter/tabloid radio. i don‘t care what the scenario but if he just gives me the excuse i‘ll have him. if he is stupid enough to have a go well then its self defence, isn‘t it guv:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

hawley wrote: »
    no it is gutter/tabloid radio. i don‘t care what the scenario but if he just gives me the excuse i‘ll have him. if he is stupid enough to have a go well then its self defence, isn‘t it guv:)

Have you been watching EastEnders?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

"If you did that to somebody I loved my sister, my mother, my daughter, I swear to god, I'd personally call over and would have broken both of your legs, I’m not going to lie. I wouldn't have left you out the door, being honest.. I think it's man to man", he said after he asked Chris to explain how a man can continue to throw punches at a woman when she is cowering in fear.

I've heard of a keyboard warrior, but it seems Tubridy is a radio mic warrior.. Can anybody on this thread honestly say they believe that Tubridy would charge over to another man's house with "his dander up" (as he would probably phrase it himself), knocking down the door down, looking for a fight... What would he do, demand a duel, perhaps pistols at ten paces?.. Can you imagine the fear of the besieged offender, as this scarecrow came shuffling across his front lawn, knocking over single blades of grass with every furious stride, only visible from the side view because of his elbow patches.

He's a spoofer. Always has been, and as long as RTE indulge him, he always will be....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I've heard of a keyboard warrior, but it seems Tubridy is a radio mic warrior.. Can anybody on this thread honestly say they believe that Tubridy would charge over to another man's house with "his dander up" (as he would probably phrase it himself), knocking down the door down, looking for a fight... What would he do, demand a duel, perhaps pistols at ten paces?.. Can you imagine the fear of the besieged offender, as this scarecrow came shuffling across his front lawn, knocking over single blades of grass with every furious stride, only visible from the side view because of his elbow patches.

He's a spoofer. Always has been, and as long as RTE indulge him, he always will be....

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

I think Tubridy is stuck in the 1980s and/or the era of the bishop and the nightie. Gaybo did all this kind of thing on TV and Radio for years and while it was interesting to a point at the time and designed to shock, its long past. Tubridy is the consummate rehasher.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

he was making the point that he'd like to be able to protect his nearest and dearest from harm. why are people zoning in on the bit that he said he'd break yer mans legs?? big deal if he cant even beat an egg! iv often said things about other people and wanting to kick their heads in etc. but really im not gonna show up at someones door and actually kick their heads in!! it just means that you're passionate about something, so you probably exagerate by saying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I have to say I do - People act out of character when someone hurts someone they love.

I'm sure he is very capable of causing harm under the right/wrong circumstances. As would many normally placid people.

• Advertisement

completely missing the overall point that domestic violence is wrong and hopefully we would all have someone to defend us, in any form, from it.
    its because tubridy said it that people seem to dismiss it as sh*te talk. if maybe brian o'driscoll said it ye'd be cheering him on.

realweirdo wrote: »
    I think Tubridy is stuck in the 1980s and/or the era of the bishop and the nightie. Gaybo did all this kind of thing on TV and Radio for years and while it was interesting to a point at the time and designed to shock, its long past. Tubridy is the consummate rehasher.

i dont understand this post?? how is tubridy rehashing?? domestic violence is a very current issue. big deal if gaybo did all this kind of thing in the past. its as important today as it was in gaybos time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

if maybe brian o'driscoll said it ye'd be cheering him on.

The problem with your argument is that if Brian O'Driscoll said it, you would believe it....

The guy who hit him was taken off a few minutes later, injured himself.. I dont think tackling somebody in the history section of the library for the last copy of JFK: The Biography counts as having serious physical prowess..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Tubridy was grandstanding. He couldn't break an egg, let alone somebody's legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

We all say things when we are vexed that we would do such and such bad things to someone, but when we calm down, or if the opportunity did actually arise, then we would not do anything, its just talk and anger coming out.But coming from Tubs is laughable because he doesn't come across as a violent person and his frame would not exactly come off triumphant in a real duel.:D

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Just listened to the interview, it's about 1hr 13 mins into the show.

http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=1%3A10280828%3A4678%3A14%2D05%2D2014%3A

To be fair to Tubs, he was getting more incensed as the interview went on. Don't think this was fake at all. He was genuinely getting very audibly upset. I kinda admire him a bit for it, not that it was the right thing to say, but he said what every bloke who hears this interview would think.

I just listened to the podcast there. It's hardly as though Tubridy did a Jeremy Kyle on it. Obviously it's an emotive issue for normal people, I thought he contained that side of it quite well but as a husband/wife and parent, the protectiveness people feel is bound to add more emotion.

Just like everyone else, I was raging listening to your man describe what he did. On the other hand, I agree that treatment should be mandatory as part of sentencing in all cases of violence. I also agree with Tubridy that the story your man had might be something to work on to get mandatory treatment introduced.

(I should add that I think people should be psychologically vetted regularly as a preventative measure but that's still a long way away.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

I just listened to the podcast there. It's hardly as though Tubridy did a Jeremy Kyle on it. Obviously it's an emotive issue for normal people, I thought he contained that side of it quite well but as a husband/wife and parent, the protectiveness people feel is bound to add more emotion.

Just like everyone else, I was raging listening to your man describe what he did. On the other hand, I agree that treatment should be mandatory as part of sentencing in all cases of violence. I also agree with Tubridy that the story your man had might be something to work on to get mandatory treatment introduced.

(I should add that I think people should be psychologically vetted regularly as a preventative measure but that's still a long way away.)

He was so far removed from Jeremy Kyle. I was surprised at him though, he is normally great at sitting on the fence, but not this time, and he did make it clear, that the most important people in his life are women and he would do what ever it took to protect them. He was just talking out loud more than anything else... but he said out loud what nearly every decent man in the country would think.

The point 'Chris' was making is that there is no help for wife beaters, and it's a very valid point, but I think a lot of presenters would have found it difficult to sit on the fence about what he admitted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭hawley

you‘d swear that the majority of society supported violence against women and that tubridy is taking a brave stance that could cost him his job. the editorial in today‘s irish independent is on yesterday‘s interview and there is an article from tubridy about it. it seems that this was planned to get publicity.

The problem with your argument is that if Brian O'Driscoll said it, you would believe it....

The guy who hit him was taken off a few minutes later, injured himself.. I dont think tackling somebody in the history section of the library for the last copy of JFK: The Biography counts as having serious physical prowess..

Thanks for showing me how tough brian o'driscoll is. the problem with your arguement is that your ignoring the actual issue and just lauging at the thought of tubridy breaking someones legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,040 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

hawley wrote: »
    you‘d swear that the majority of society supported violence against women and that tubridy is taking a brave stance that could cost him his job. the editorial in today‘s irish independent is on yesterday‘s interview and there is an article from tubridy about it. it seems that this was planned to get publicity.
    absolutely, they've literally tried everything to boost the show.

When the show first started losing listeners they started this "email tubs with your absolute most personal problems and we'l read them out" segment..then they lost so many listeners that the show seemed "steady" and now two weeks after they have lost more listeners we have an interview with a controversial man into which tubs slips something quotable. Everything about this show is fake. I know because i've been a listener!!

• Advertisement

absolutely, they've literally tried everything to boost the show.

Yes thats exactly it. They decide to highlight men beating the sh*t out of women and kids to boost ratings. Are ye listening to this mornings show and people txting in about children standing up to men. Yes, completly fabricating it up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Tubridy appears to stoop to a new low to boost ratings.

Shame on him and RTE

Using the cloak of concern against domestic violence to fuel his latest marketing salvo is frankly disgusting

also it's the indo that were and still are promoting this...they like to keep us up to date with positive tubs stories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Look at the JNLR figures since Tubridy started in this slot.
    No breaking of legs just hemorrhaging of listeners.

Tubridy decides to become a Badass mofo to boost listenership.

He thought he sounded hard.
    All I heard was..............

Id hate to have to rely on any 'men' here to defend me if a 'man' tried to beat me up. I am genuinely nervous of some people posts here. times like this id love if we could all meet each other face to face and see would people be as brave with their comments. I hope that no body reading this thread, has or is a victim of domestic abuse.

Seriously, any men here that have mothers/sisters/kids in their life, why not show them this thread with yer comments and ask what they think?? Or express yer views in the workplace and see what people say back??

Seriously, any men here that have mothers/sisters/kids in their life, why not show them this thread with yer comments and ask what they think?? Or express yer views in the workplace and see what people say back??

Id hate to have to rely on any 'men' here to defend me if a 'man' tried to beat me up. I am genuinely nervous of some people posts here. times like this id love if we could all meet each other face to face and see would people be as brave with their comments. I hope that no body reading this thread, has or is a victim of domestic abuse.
    I would absolutely defend anyone in trouble, I'm sure most people would. It's just i have been listening to this show on and off for a long time and i find they go through phases of trying to make the show work and this item was no different. Also i'm 100% sure tubridy is genuine..

Ray Darcy to be fair makes strong statements regularly and i'm sure he's made similar remarks but it doesn't get reported because he's quite consistent.

With 2fm you just get that feeling they are looking for controversy.

That's not really accurate...you can have strong feelings against violence against women, and also feel that 2fm are desperate.

Question for you:
    Do you think Tubridys team thought at the moment in question:
    "this has really helped the cause of domestic violence, this is good public service broadcasting"
    or
    "oh yes this is good, this should cause a stir....(collective high 5)"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

See this stick..........

KM3yGiJ.png

You've got the wrong end of it.

And just in case this post needs clarification........ No I will not be hitting you with the stick.

Advertisement