Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

I would absolutely defend anyone in trouble, I'm sure most people would. It's just i have been listening to this show on and off for a long time and i find they go through phases of trying to make the show work and this item was no different. Also i'm 100% sure tubridy is genuine..

Ray Darcy to be fair makes strong ..statements regularly and i'm sure he's made similar remarks but it doesn't get reported because he's quite consistent.

With 2fm you just get that feeling they are looking for controversy.

I just think that when it comes to domestic abuse, its very hard to believe they are looking for controversy and trying to boost ratings. Tubridy has spoken of it a few times before. Its such a hard subject to talk about too and when I read comments where people are almost snigeering at tubridy wanting to break legs etc it makes me mad because I feel the actual issue is overlooked.

mikom wrote: »
    See this stick..........

KM3yGiJ.png

You've got the wrong end of it.

And just in case this post needs clarification........ No I will not be hitting you with the stick.

How have I the wrong end??

That's not really accurate...you can have strong feelings against violence against women, and also feel that 2fm are desperate.

Question for you:
    Do you think Tubridys team thought at the moment in question:
    "this has really helped the cause of domestic violence, this is good public service broadcasting"
    or
    "oh yes this is good, this should cause a stir....(collective high 5)"

I think the majority are females so id imagine they were gripped listening to that guy, yet horrified at same time. I dont know what they were thinking but id like to think that they maybe by highlighting it, they thought it was good to get it out in public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

How have I the wrong end??

You said........
    Seriously, any men here that have mothers/sisters/kids in their life, why not show them this thread with yer comments and ask what they think?? Or express yer views in the workplace and see what people say back??

I'd say most would say Tubs is a cock, grandstanding or no grandstanding.
    Check my comments on thread; no support for domestic violence there, and I don't need an overpaid liquorice stick to tell me what way the wind blows on the issue.

You said........

I'd say most would say Tubs is a cock, grandstanding or no grandstanding.
    Check my comments on thread; no support for domestic violence there, and I dogn't need an overpaid liquorice stick to tell me what way the wind blows on the issue.

I was talking bout the coments some people have posted since yesterday. As in, would those people be brave enough to say the things they said, in public.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Rookster wrote: »
    <snip>

Whereas all the other radio shows do their segments with a reduction of listenership as their main priority is it?

I was talking bout the coments some people have posted since yesterday. As in, would those people be brave enough to say the things they said, in public.

Point them out please.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,864 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Rookster wrote: »
    <snip>

You have proof it is fake I suppose? Now Ryan would not be my favourite presenter by a long long way and anytime I have listened he has seemed contrived however I do not think that this was one of the times. I do think he was genuine it can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,864 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Point them out please.

I am guessing and he can prove me worng he is on abbout all the one who say it fake and RTE/2FM do not care about it only looking for raitings

hawley wrote: »
    if he came round to my house and threatened to break my legs i‘d knock him so far into next week that he wouldn‘t know mick wallace from jfk

.those kinda comments....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Thanks for showing me how tough brian o'driscoll is. the problem with your arguement is that your ignoring the actual issue and just lauging at the thought of tubridy breaking someones legs.

Well it was you that made the comparison.. Maybe you should have compared Turbridy to another radio presenter, and not a tough rugby player...

You seem to think that anybody who isnt enamored with and supportive of Tubridy's outburst is condoning domestic violence.. You need to separate the issues.. I dont (and nobody else on the thread would) condone domestic violence. What I do have a problem with is Tubridy making outrageous remarks on live radio to try to save his dying show... And with regard to his threats of physical harm to another man, it's hard to think of Tubridy doing physical harm to anything other than his radio figures..

He's had his turn at radio and TV. It's time for him to move aside and give somebody else a go.. I'm sure he's a decent guy and all that, but based on his performance and his figures, he would have been gone from any other radio station a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I just think that when it comes to domestic abuse, its very hard to believe they are looking for controversy and trying to boost ratings. Tubridy has spoken of it a few times before. Its such a hard subject to talk about too and when I read comments where people are almost snigeering at tubridy wanting to break legs etc it makes me mad because I feel the actual issue is overlooked.
    it's the media (possibly helped by 2fm) that are pushing the "break your legs" statement

Well it was you that made the comparison.. Maybe you should have compared Turbridy to another radio presenter, and not a tough rugby player...

You seem to think that anybody who isnt enamored with and supportive of Tubridy's outburst is condoning domestic violence.. You need to separate the issues.. I dont (and nobody else on the thread would) condone domestic violence. What I do have a problem with is Tubridy making outrageous remarks on live radio to try to save his dying show... And with regard to his threats of physical harm to another man, it's hard to think of Tubridy doing physical harm to anything other than his radio figures..

He's had his turn at radio and TV. It's time for him to move aside and give somebody else a go.. I'm sure he's a decent guy and all that, but based on his performance and his figures, he would have been gone from any other radio station a long time ago.

when i said brian o'driscoll i meant that it doesn't matter what size/shape/build one is, its just nice to know that someone would defend their loved ones. i dont think that anybody who isnt supportive of tubridy is condoning domestic violence. what im saying is that some people here think because it was tubridy that said it, that its to be laughed at or mocked or whatever. it wasnt an outrageous remark- he said what alot of people were thinking. to think he said it to save the ratings, is outrageous.

it's the media (possibly helped by 2fm) that are pushing the "break your legs" statement

ah cmon, you have to see that there are people here that are just zoning in on that comment?? i had a quick look at the sun or the star today and they were ****ing on about it too.

ah cmon, you have to see that there are people here that are just zoning in on that comment?? i had a quick look at the sun or the star today and they were ****ing on about it too.
    That's what 2fm wanted

The PR push is working so.

LAP LAP.

anyway, this thread is about the show and ratings in general. alot of djs at various stations have dropped figures. while some of it is because they dont like the dj/ show, some of it is because people are simply turning over to new stations. Look at that radio nova for example; they are constantly on the up and taking listners away from other stations. 4fm are on the up too. its not always the dj's fault. there is so much competition out there now.

anyway, this thread is about the show and ratings in general. alot of djs at various stations have dropped figures. while some of it is because they dont like the dj/ show, some of it is because people are simply turning over to new stations. Look at that radio nova for example; they are constantly on the up and taking listners away from other stations. 4fm are on the up too. its not always the dj's fault. there is so much competition out there now.
    Nova are getting it right in the mornings .....2fm are getting it wrong

The PR push is working so.

LAP LAP.

one of the greatest lines ever said by anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Aw all the attention Tubs is getting is kinda cute, Tubbers' 15 minutes of radio fame. Meanwhile, the July jnlr figures will show 2fm continues to die... Slowly.. Yawn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

Wow, the level of hatred for Tubs is beyond me.

If somebody abused my sister or wife etc. I would sort that person out. Whether or not I'm a 6 foot beanpole doesn't matter. I would try anyway, are you more of a wimp for standing by?

Why can't Tubs feel strongly about something other than JFK, why does it irritate people that he done this topic.

Saying he only covered it for ratings is ridiculous. That's the whole idea of radio. You do a piece and hope it will generate interest, connect with listeners and make more people tune in.

What's BBC Radio and what he does on his holidays got to do with it?

The fact that the decline has stopped (for this book anyway) really agitates some people and still just want to direct hatred at him, so are using this. The fcuker who who beats up women is getting less abuse across nearly all coverage of this.

I'm now convinced you just can't win. Do a piece that generates lots of interest and you're only creating hype to increase listeners. Do a more ordinary topic and it's boring radio, no wonder figures are down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

More Music wrote: »

The fact that the decline has stopped (for this book anyway) really agitates some people and still just want to direct hatred at him, so are using this.

Stopped? He's 11,000 down year on year and 4,000 down on the last book. It's not even the most listened to show on the station anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭hawley

Wow, the level of hatred for Tubs is beyond me.

If somebody abused my sister or wife etc. I would sort that person out. Whether or not I'm a 6 foot beanpole doesn't matter. I would try anyway, are you more of a wimp for standing by?

Why can't Tubs feel strongly about something other than JFK, why does it irritate people that he done this topic.

Saying he only covered it for ratings is ridiculous. That's the whole idea of radio. You do a piece and hope it will generate interest, connect with listeners and make more people tune in.

The fact that the decline has stopped (for this book anyway) really agitates some people and still just want to direct hatred at him, so are using this. The fcuker who who beats up women is getting less abuse across nearly all coverage of this.

I'm now convinced you just can't win. Do a piece that generates lots of interest and you're only creating hype to increase listeners. Do a more ordinary topic and it's boring radio, no wonder figures are down.

Wrong, his figures are still in freefall.

I expect he will re-enact the phone scene from "Taken" shortly.

Just hang on a minute.. This guy is sold to us by RTE as being a "great broadcaster", and is remunerated as if he were a great broadcaster.. He seems more interested in playing the token pandering Irish sycophant for the BBC, and cashing in on his celebrity chips with books that really didnt need to be written, than making his show a success... If any private business was performing as badly as Tubridy's radio show, the owner would be working through the holidays to try to put it right...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭hawley

He had one prize today where listeners were asked to nominate a young person who does good work in the community. Louis Walsh's niece won a 1000 euro. This was his final comment "I'll be talking to your uncle tonight, he'll be on with his new boyband". And so it continues.

Anybody else listening to this. A half hour on dead babies that'll get the listeners back tubs ....

• Registered Users Posts: 72,529 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

It's Mattress Mick :D

• Registered Users Posts: 72,529 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Spelling 'lame radio'.

L...A...M...

• Advertisement

He's finally managed to make the show his own....although when he started the show he didn't know who he was, and it only took 4 years!

Advertisement