Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Now being touted in the Radio One lunchtime news. Cross promotion anyone? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

mike65 wrote: »

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggghhh, just when I thought it was safe....... "We wanted to start the show, same as unusual"........ Begone to 2FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Listening! Does Tubbs sound very nervous to you??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Yeah, talking about 800,000 people watching the Late Late Show in a field.

WTF:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

Is he still going to do the Late Late?

Thought he did an okay job, it's hard to fill Gerry Ryan's shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

i didnt hear the show thought he wasnt starting till mon! did he play much music or is it all talkish?

Michael B wrote:
    Is he still going to do the Late Late?
    Yes, he is. Why wouldn't he?
    Shane10 wrote:
    i didnt hear the show thought he wasnt starting till mon! did he play much music or is it all talkish?

Monday was the original plan, but apparently he was excited and impatient and asked the powers that be if he could just start today - something they had no problem with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Anyone know what was the first song he played this morning??

• Advertisement

Anyone know what was the first song he played this morning??

"Friends in Time" by The Golden Horde

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

of course! It had to be :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

Bard wrote: »

Yes, he is. Why wouldn't he?

No reason. Just a question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

Of course they cross promote. You can't blame them really... When you've got it flaunt it!

I like Tubbers. He's a nice, genuine chap. He takes the usual banal childish morning talk crap up a notch or three. And he hasn't got a gaggle of sidekicks talking rubbish over one another like D'arcy.
    (Donning flak jacket now...) I'd say he'll be even more successful than G. Ryan in the long run as he's not as controversial as Gerry but is more intelligent than Ray D'arcy and Co.

I like Tubbers. He's a nice, genuine chap.

Yes.

I'm even more glad now that I managed to stop in time and therefore didn't knock Tubs down with my car near St. Stephen's Green roughly a year ago ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

I just hope he doesnt start that book club shíte, reviewing books that no-one has heard of with auld wans.
    He also loves the word 'tweet' too much. Only a very small percentage of people use twitter, so tone it down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

It was even on the 9:00 TV news. No mention of Elon Lindenstrauss, Ngô Bảo Châu, Stanislav Smirnov, and Cédric Villani getting the Fields Medal, because who cares about that sums ****e? Todd Andrew's grandson doing the exact same show as ever but 3 MHz to the right is far more important.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Very clever move slipping 1st show in early.

I think 2 hours is long enough. 3 hours is a huge slot for such a programme. G. Ryan could do it, but just. It also goes nicely with PK. Taking/leaving an hour on each programme.

Tubs has grown on me by growing into himself more since taking over the Late Late. His radio1 show really did pick up in quality a week into the TV gig.

A decent and appropriate shoulder to the wheel attitude this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,848 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Bard wrote: »
    Monday was the original plan, but apparently he was excited and impatient and asked the powers that be if he could just start today - something they had no problem with.

I'm sorry, I know that's just a line he's putting out because 2fm mgmt wanted to steal a march on the other stations' autumn schedules but really...

*barf*

Way to shake off criticisms that you're an indulged Fianna Fail dynasty golden child, Tubs...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I didn't tune it - was he any use?

Way to shake off criticisms that you're an indulged Fianna Fail dynasty golden child, Tubs...

Did you listen to the show itself? Really? Then criticise that, not him personally.
    deelite wrote:
    I didn't tune it - was he any use?

Quite good yes. A little nervous, but that's to be expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

I've never ever heard Tubbers once proclaim any alliegence or show favour or bias to FF or any party. It's a low dig to blame him for his family's political leanings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

I've never ever heard Tubbers once proclaim any alliegence or show favour or bias to FF or any party.

You missed the Kenny interveiw and the Bertie love-in?
    Last year, on "Tubridy tonight" he blatantly cut Paul Williams off when he was in the middle of an anti-government rant.

It's not so much the Pro-FF agenda, it's the complete avoidance of any subject that shows up the incompetence of the current FF government.
    Have you ever heard Tubs cover the “Ryan report” or the shambolic child services?
    And you won’t either while his cousin Andrews is sitting there fat, dumb and happy as minister for children.

Poly wrote: »
    Have you ever heard Tubs cover the “Ryan report” or the shambolic child services?

This thread is about Tubridy's show on 2FM... so no, no I haven't.

Again, is there any chance you could comment on the man's show - and not on the man personally?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

And you won’t either while his cousin Andrews is sitting there fat, dumb and happy as minister for children.

Sorry, but Barry Andrews is anything but fat.

I personally don't think Tubridy should have to deal with issues like that. Nothing to do with his FF relations, more to do with the fact that heavy issues are dealt with more than enough on other shows apart from the Late Late. And to date his Tubridy show on One wasn't a current affairs show. It was on between Morning Ireland and Pat Kenny, there's plenty of government analysis on those shows. I don't know what the 'brief' of his new show is, but I'd hazard a guess that it's *not* current affairs either?

And for the record, I don't really like Tubridy at all- didn't listen to his Radio 1 Show, and rarely watch the Late Late.

dambarude wrote: »
    I personally don't think Tubridy should have to deal with issues like that.

So,to justify a salary of €500k+ he just has to play a few records and talk nonsense to bored housewives?

Sorry, but for that kind of money, I want a properly researched, well produced, professioal,current affairs show.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

So,to justify a salary of €500k+ he just has to play a few records and talk nonsense to bored housewives?

Sorry, but for that kind of money, I want a properly researched, well produced, professioal,current affairs show.

Well tune into RTE 1 then! His show isn't aimed at a current affairs/ news audience. His salary is astronomical, but a high salary doesn't mean he has to deal in current affairs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

You know, someone else pointed out earlier in the thread that Tubbs isn't any way near as controversial are Gerry was and that is correct. In fact he seems to shy away from potentially hot-button issues in favour of lighter topics.

This should be seen by the other broadcasters as an oppurtunity. They should put someone on who has strong opinions that get people riled up in the same time slot. Dare i say: a shock jock:eek:

And i mean a real one. How much can you get away with in broadcast radio in Ireland?

• Advertisement

dambarude wrote: »
    Well tune into RTE 1 then! His show isn't aimed at a current affairs/ news audience. His salary is astronomical, but a high salary doesn't mean he has to deal in current affairs.

You’re right, my frustration stems from the fact that we are paying top dollar for very average presenters, when we can least afford it.

Advertisement