Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

He did not comment on the huge amount of Gerry Ryan coverage this morning. It was like hearing him saying 'There is a huge elephant in the room. (pause) Page 6 of the Star picture of a snowman.'

Couple of other comments from this morning. After another uber-inane conversation with Emma (she waits until Christmas until putting gifts under tree!) he told us 'As you may know I am on a huge Word War II buzz at the moment'. FFS

After spending 3-4 minutes discussing World War II books and films (in a level of detail and obscurity that could only interest a sliver of his listeners), he returns to the papers, to a headline about children having to share psychiatric wards with adults. He said (paraphrasing) 'That story makes you realise that while we are worried about finding a particular book, some people are going some through some really rough times!' FFS

I just cant for the life of me see how this car-crash of a programme is going to make it to next Christmas. Am curious to see what the listenership figures will be like.

He probably thinks he is a big success cos the Late Late figures are high, but he may not be the reason. Up until a few years ago lots of people were out on Friday nights, now more and more are stuck inside at the weekend watching whatevers on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Seems like those on high in charge have told him to read through the G Ryan headlines without his usual sarcastic tones, and make NO comment... He's probably gonna hide behind the usual "I cannot comment as there is a garda investigation in progress" line.. Ryan, if you dont want to do this job properly, then do something else..

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Ryan, if you dont want to do this job properly, then do something else..
    +1 agree

oh and lads.. that caller who offered to bring food around to people stranded in the snow... he said something like "I rang a friend of yours one day cos I thought he could save people's lives, but I'll tell you about that some other day".... Ryan QUICKLY moves on.... Anybody have any clue as to what the caller was alluding to ???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

lempsipmax wrote: »
    He probably thinks he is a big success cos the Late Late figures are high, but he may not be the reason. Up until a few years ago lots of people were out on Friday nights, now more and more are stuck inside at the weekend watching whatevers on!

Good point. Massive ratings for the toy show in particular.

Ryan's got an ego the size of his salary at the moment. His criticism of Juliet Binoche and Gordon Ramsay being a prime example (and something that still really REALLY irks me no end, the gall of him!!:mad:) This coming from an overpriviliged, nepotistic benefitting, Montrose sheltered, no-talent Johnny Carson wannabe!!

You know, I only found out this morning that he was actually a member of Ogra Fianna Fail, not that it is too shocking or anything given his family connections and political interviews on the LLS. Pity he cant hide his political allegiences as well as some of his colleagues...but then again, he's not as professional as some of his colleagues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

At least Pat Kenny touched on the cocaine story this morning (not talking about Gerry directly but managed an interesting insite to cocaine use), something Ryan could have also done. He should get Ben Dunne on to discuss cocaine after his sly remarks/grunts he made about him last week.
    I wonder will Joe Duffy deal with it today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

miketv wrote: »
    . He should get Ben Dunne on to discuss cocaine after his sly remarks/grunts he made about him last week.

Ben Dunne would eat Tubridy for breakfast. Love to hear that discussion!

Tubs: "So Ben, tell me about the avante garde pieces you have on display in your gallery, anything depicting that great struggle, WW2, as I'm on a bit of a WW2 buzz at the moment? Or how about the Kennedys, anything with them in it?"

Ben Dunne: "What are you on?"

Mary O'Rourke: "Eh....Can I join in this conversation? I have a spare 5 minutes here between other radio shows"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

he returns to the papers, to a headline about children having to share psychiatric wards with adults. He said (paraphrasing) 'That story makes you realise that while we are worried about finding a particular book, some people are going some through some really rough times!' FFS
    I heard it, fúcking unreal. He is totally disconnected from reality. Overpaid Dork

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

i could not wait to hear tubs doing the papers to when i seen this this morning every paper had a story to tell,i said will he even do a review of the papers due to the massive coverage in all tabloids,however it was so brief as to say fcuk this and lets get on with it and forget about it,the thing is he cant forget about it he will come out sometime and talk..

and to top the morning of the little chicken would not drive to work himself bragging he got a taxi to work....
    who paid for that RTE out of our licence money now is that a waste or what..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

He said (paraphrasing) 'That story makes you realise that while we are worried about finding a particular book, some people are going some through some really rough times!' FFS

To be honest I am worried about finding his particular book in my stocking this Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I don't listen to the show every day but I did however tune in for a half hour yesterday morning. He was doing a piece on Colm Murrays segment from Friday's Late Late. He played a few clips and said RTE had been receiving quite a lot of correspondence on the item.

He finished the piece by saying that Colm is 'motoring along' now. I genuinely winced at this. For a man who considers himself a wordsmith he really could have chosen a better turn of phrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

In the unfortunate event that RTE1 was the only station available to me on a Friday night I still would have no difficulty finding something better to do than watch a bunch of C list "celebrities" pimp their latest book/CD/DVD/panto.

The Late Late may once have served a useful role in Irish society but it is little more than an empty shell fronted by an empty suit at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Rookster

Does anyone know what Tubridy's qualifications are. Is he a journalist? I would doubt it as there does'nt seem to be a curious bone in his body. Maybe it's Arts or Law? Or is it that he has none and was just born into a privileged background?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Rookster wrote: »
    Does anyone know what Tubridy's qualifications are. Is he a journalist? I would doubt it as there does'nt seem to be a curious bone in his body. Maybe it's Arts or Law? Or is it that he has none and was just born into a privileged background?
    He's been involved with RTE since he was a kid as far as i know...got his degree and worked his way up then.

He's been involved with RTE since he was a kid as far as i know...got his degree and worked his way up then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Tubridy

wiki explains it.
    Tubridy was educated at Blackrock College and University College Dublin, where he studied Arts. He was a member of the Kevin Barry Cumann of Fianna Fáil while in UCD and was active in the UCD Students' Union, as well as the Dún Laoghaire branch of Ógra Fianna Fáil. Two of his first cousins, Barry Andrews and Chris Andrews, currently serve as Fianna Fáil TDs, with the former Minister of State for Children in the government of Brian Cowen.

Tubridy started in broadcasting at the age of 12, reviewing books for the Radio 2 show Poporama presented by Ruth Buchanan. He earned £25 per show. After leaving college he became a runner in RTÉ, initially working on The Gerry Ryan Show as maker of tea and coffee.

I was up late working last nite and I caught that Paul Galvin interview again.. My god it was horrific... how did he think it was a good idea to re-show him fish hooking the Cork lad.. Then followed up with a load of yes/no answer questions, which Galvin duly obliged with a monosyllabic answer each time.. Worse than Juliette Binnoche interview imo..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Lets be honest hete, Nothing can explain it!!

I was up late working last nite and I caught that Paul Galvin interview again.. My god it was horrific... how did he think it was a good idea to re-show him fish hooking the Cork lad.. Then followed up with a load of yes/no answer questions, which Galvin duly obliged with a monosyllabic answer each time.. Worse than Juliette Binnoche interview imo..

I was up late as well and caught it. You are right. It was brutal. With Galvin this interview should have been much better. It was like shooting fish in a barrel.But Tubridy's lack of talent and anaemic personality prevented this. He just sits back in his seat with a smug face and asks silly questions. Just compare this to what Jonathan Ross might have did with it. Is there anyone in RTE with even an ounce of talent?

Actually it does'nt. It does not explain that his relations have been involved in the management of RTE for years before he started working there. Pure nepotism!

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

If Tubridy is so rubbish why did BBC try to poach him during the summer to replace Wossie. How many other presenters could do a breakfast show, host a serious programme on radio one then mov on to replace gerry and this is without even mentioning his two chat shows or his book on jfk.who would ye have there ? marty whelan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭prunudo

ghiertal wrote: »
    If Tubridy is so rubbish why did BBC try to poach him during the summer to replace Wossie. How many other presenters could do a breakfast show, host a serious programme on radio one then mov on to replace gerry and this is without even mentioning his two chat shows or his book on jfk.who would ye have there ? marty whelan?

Think I'll just sit back and wait for the replies:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

a ha h a ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha a ha ha....imagine the confusion in England if they woke up one morning and heard DLB on the radio....!!!:):):):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Spin that was released around the time he got the Gerry Ryan show.
    Meant as lube for the plebs to gobble up............... worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

mikom wrote: »
    Spin that was released around the time he got the Gerry Ryan show.
    Meant as lube for the plebs to gobble up............... worked.

Yea, thought everyone knew that. Contract negotiations are harrowing times. :(

I cant believe his spin doctors got someone gullible enough to swallow it though. How embarrassing...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I heard him this morning reading out paper head lines. He didn't dwell long on Gerry Ryan. Its a different rule when you know the guy !! I

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Perhaps give a shot to the thousands that have studies communications/Journalism in the last few years... just a thought .... there are more potential presenters than presenters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I've great problems with that "The BBC were only dyin for Ryan to work for them" story... Where did it come from?

I've great problems with that "The BBC were only dyin for Ryan to work for them" story... Where did it come from?

tbh I have a lot of trouble believing that this was a real story until I read it in the Independent.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/ryan-was-right-to-reject-beeb-offer-says-gaybo-2243233.html
    Ryan Tubridy made the right choice when he turned down an offer to present a high-profile BBC Radio 2 programme over the summer, veteran broadcaster Gay Byrne claimed last night.

It emerged yesterday that executives from the Beeb had contacted the 37-year-old RTE presenter in recent months to sign a three-month deal to present Jonathan Ross's Saturday morning radio show.

I think it would have been a good acid test for him .. i.e. outside his RTE womb, this would have been a chance for him to prove that he had some talent.... alas he is still at the teats of the taxpayer..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭macroboy

::D:D:D;););););):p:p:)::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭macroboy

Aidric wrote: »
    I don't listen to the show every day but I did however tune in for a half hour yesterday morning. He was doing a piece on Colm Murrays segment from Friday's Late Late. He played a few clips and said RTE had been receiving quite a lot of correspondence on the item.

He finished the piece by saying that Colm is 'motoring along' now. I genuinely winced at this. For a man who considers himself a wordsmith he really could have chosen a better turn of phrase.

Yes i noticed that myself.For me it just shows his utter lack of awareness.
    The guy wants to live in the fifties,and drink ice tea beside the pool.
    He can barely put a sentence together sometimes,either pausing for supposed dramatic affect,or just bumbling over words,as im sure he hasnt read any newspaper stories before he starts.
    He hasnt figured out the difference between alan partridge and a real radio presenter,thats how he can make a remark like "motoring on" and doesnt even flinch.
    He also said live on air"i have no interest in the kennedy assasination because it is,long pause,BORING.
    I mean to say ,how can people actually put up with this guy?

Advertisement