Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Anyone hear this morning at the end of the papers round up he sent best wishes to all the guys n gals of the newspaper industry - which was fine, but instead of leaving it at that had to add "and I really mean that most sincerely, really". Was that an effort at irony in light of all the recent coverage?

I dont know what he intended, but it reminded me of the lines from Pink Floyd's Have a Cigar -

"well ive always had a deep respect and I mean that most sincerely;
    the band is just fantastic, that is really what I think"

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

mikom wrote: »
    Spin that was released around the time he got the Gerry Ryan show.
    Meant as lube for the plebs to gobble up............... worked.

:mad:There seems to be an extraordinary amount of anti-Tubridian feeling here.It is hardly so unlikely that we could lose Tubridy especially considering that Gay warned against him taking.Ryan had two confidants in Gerry and Gay,they would discuss his career options round dinner.He has lost Gerry's protecting wing, if he lost Gay i think he could go.Ireland has lost plenty of talent in the past to the bbc such as wogan,dave allen,graham norton,des lynam,dara o briain,des o connor,henry kelly,graham linehan. i feel this constant carping is sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

ghiertal wrote: »
    :mad:There seems to be an extraordinary amount of anti-Tubridian feeling here.It is hardly so unlikely that we could lose Tubridy especially considering that Gay warned against him taking.Ryan had two confidants in Gerry and Gay,they would discuss his career options round dinner.He has lost Gerry's protecting wing, if he lost Gay i think he could go.Ireland has lost plenty of talent in the past to the bbc such as wogan,dave allen,graham norton,des lynam,dara o briain,des o connor,henry kelly,graham linehan. i feel this constant carping is sad.

Did Wogan, norton, Lynham, O'Connor, Kelly, and Linehan ever work for RTE? Don't think they lost them, RTE never wanted them in the first place. They tend to prefer people like DLB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭macroboy

:D:D:D:D;);););):p:p:p:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Anyone hear this morning at the end of the papers round up he sent best wishes to all the guys n gals of the newspaper industry - which was fine, but instead of leaving it at that had to add "and I really mean that most sincerely, really". Was that an effort at irony in light of all the recent coverage?

I dont know what he intended, but it reminded me of the lines from Pink Floyd's Have a Cigar -

"well ive always had a deep respect and I mean that most sincerely;
    the band is just fantastic, that is really what I think"
    Joe Duffy will be on Tubbs ass today over that...."so it's the media, ryan is it? always the medias fault"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 iGiveup

The media in general in ireland are a shower of low life wasters who go for cheap tacky stories and stand behind the freedom of the press.
    A so called star reporter called rachel kane from castledermot was in cavan recently and tore the place to shreads with her cheap child like writing!
    What do you expect when gerald colleran is your editor i suppose.

Oh and i hate tubs!

Humbug!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

iGiveup wrote: »
    The media in general in ireland are a shower of low life wasters who go for cheap tacky stories and stand behind the freedom of the press.
    A so called star reporter called rachel kane from castledermot was in cavan recently and tore the place to shreads with her cheap child like writing!
    What do you expect when gerald colleran is your editor i suppose.

Oh and i hate tubs!

Humbug!
    Sounds like a personal grudge but I agree with you on Colleran, an arrrogant and quite frankly dangerous individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

iGiveup wrote: »

In fairness, that's just low, completely unwarranted and frankly untrue - as most sweeping generalisations are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Bard wrote: »
    In fairness, that's just low, completely unwarranted and frankly untrue - as most sweeping generalisations are.

so are you saying the media dont exploit people,over exaggerate,make stories up,make there own conclusions..

how many times recently in the sunday world for example have i seen pathetic apology's from them for posting rubbish about things they posted

jimmynokia wrote: »
    so are you saying the media dont exploit people,over exaggerate,make stories up,make there own conclusions..

No, I'm saying it's unfair to make such a sweeping simplified general accusation and aim it at the entire media. Certainly there's a small portion of the media that acts that way but tarring "the media in general" with that brush is unfair IMHO.
    how many times recently in the sunday world for example have i seen pathetic apology's from them for posting rubbish about things they posted

Hell, I don't know... you're the one reading the Sunday World. Why would that paper be an example of the media in general?

How many times have you seen it in a quality newspaper of good repute? And bringing it back to radio (as this IS the radio forum), how many times have you heard a reputable radio station issue a similar apology?

Seriously... unfounded generalisations: bad... facts: good. Mm'kay?

• Advertisement

i was just using that paper as an example i have seen similar in other papers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Right. So a man in his late 30s, a man who is adult enough to raise a family, keep up payments on a car, and pay a mortgage, has to go to two older men for career advice and guidance...? Is that how things work in RTE? Because I can't think of any other companies, or industries, where a grown man can't trust himself to make up his own mind. Then again, the rest of us operate in the real world, not the nursery world of RTE...

By the way, your point about Wogan et al, apart from Sir Terry and O Briain, how many of these figures worked for RTE? What's that you say? They had to go to England because they couldn't get *in* to RTE? It was stuffed to the gills with Andrews progeny? Really???

And the BBC offer. I would love to see how Ryan would get on in the BBC. LOVE it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I have a funny feeling even if there was an offer from the Beeb,(cough...BULL****...cough) the money wouldnt have been up to scratch.

If any one from RTE tried to work in the strange place called "the real" world, they'd be unable to afford their pads along the N11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

From Twitter:
    Dave's in tomorrow but The Late Late is back in business on Friday. Radio next Monday and I'm looking forward to it...

So he's back on Monday 10th January...

Other nuggets of advice..
    @funnyface142 You know the rules, It's a Wonderful Life gets packed away with the decorations. Next acceptable viewing, Dec 1st 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

It's great to hear that Dave is back tomorrow. Please Ryan stay away from that slot on 2fm (or if any of RTE bosses read this, please make this happen sooner rather than later, it's comparable to the FF party just hanging on at this stage)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Why don't people email RTE with their woes. I have and sent them this link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

femur61 wrote: »

They don't give a fcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Poly wrote: »
    They don't give a fcuk.
    RTE that is, I take it ;)

miketv wrote: »
    It's great to hear that Dave is back tomorrow. Please Ryan stay away from that slot on 2fm (or if any of RTE bosses read this, please make this happen sooner rather than later, it's comparable to the FF party just hanging on at this stage)

dave is on all week while tubridy gets another week of talk about having it great

femur61 wrote: »

i sent this link ages ago and nothing
    i think i recall tubridy saying hes no interest in what people say here
    afraid of the truth is what i sense there

• Advertisement

dave is on all week while tubridy gets another week of talk about having it great

Even Willy Wonka would have been back running the Chocolate Factory at this stage..

Even Willy Wonka would have been back running the Chocolate Factory at this stage..

he is prob writing another book or somethin he dont know what time of is come to think of it always at some book event always promoting something, god he is prob over in america.

where does he live BTW?

jimmynokia wrote:
    where does he live BTW?

Where Tubridy lives is NOT relevant to this thread/board. Discuss the presenters radio programme, not their personal lives/circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

Giftgrub :If any one from RTE tried to work in the strange place called "the real" world, they'd be unable to afford their pads along the N11.[/QUOTE]

Its unfair to lump Ryan in other people from rte. How do you know what he is like and what makes you think his has an ostentatious lifestyle.Considering the fact that he always holidays in Ireland,doesnt spend much on clothes etc., i think this is highly unfair.
    He also raised loads of money for kids over christmas, plus he tries to highlight certain charities and remove the stigma associated with people going for help to them.
    Personally i dont believe his new show is as good as his previous two on radio. It is due partly to gerrys legacy but largely because of his production team.He must have been lumbered with g1 and g2(hipster) because they are never off the air and seem to constantly force themselves into the show.Anyway hopefully the show will improve over the next while.

Its unfair to lump Ryan in other people from rte. How do you know what he is like and what makes you think his has an ostentatious lifestyle.Considering the fact that he always holidays in Ireland,doesnt spend much on clothes etc., i think this is highly unfair.

He doesnt need to spend money on clothes, they are bought for him..

From This article:
    Late Late guests cost €250,000 for season
    "More than €6,200 was spent ensuring Tubridy looked dapper in his suits"

And we still dont know who paid for his holiday to the states for the JFK program, which was essentially a promotional tool for his private project "JFK: In Ireland"
    He must have been lumbered with g1 and g2(hipster) because they are never off the air and seem to constantly force themselves into the show.

He's the one in charge, so I'm not sure you can blame the production team for pushing their way on air.. Though they do sound very young and immature when they are on..

• Registered Users Posts: 39,856 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I hope tubs is sitting listening to his show today as Dave is doing a great job in an interview about a woman who lost her husband to suicide ten years ago. No doubt DLB would feck up an interview like this.

dave should replace immediately.i was never a fan of his years back but he sounds good now and doing a good job

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Caledonman

dave should replace immediately.i was never a fan of his years back but he sounds good now and doing a good job

I agree with you 100%... Maybe he has matured with age, or maybe I have.
    The problem 2fm have now is that it would be so embarrassing to move RT now. I gave up listening a long time back, as I suspect many more have, but the JNLR figures will tell over the next 6 months..

cant wait to see how he gets out of the latest headlines it should be mondays papers:D

• Advertisement

cant wait to see how he gets out of the latest headlines it should be mondays papers:D

What headline's that Jim, the news doesnt seem to have reached kildare yet?

Advertisement