Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

It's okay Jim I'm on it.. carrier pigeon just flew in the window...

That's a bit rich... why wealthy stars like Ryan Tubridy won't pay a cent in tax on their books
    SIX-FIGURE earner Ryan Tubridy will not pay tax on his recently published book on the late John F Kennedy. The well-to-do RTE star has been criticised for availing of an artist's exemption tax break. Late Late Show host Ryan (37), who gets paid €533,000 by RTE for his radio and TV work, was awarded the tax-free status thanks to his JFK In Ireland tome.

The celebrity is among 93 additions to the list of tax-free artists.
    MEP Joe Higgins criticised the decision the exemption of the Late Late Show host. "The fact that Ryan Tubridy is claiming the exemption is ridiculous, there is no question about that. The rule should be changed, full stop."

I think the fact that Joe Higgens has named him directly will leave him with no option but to address the issue.. :D .. It's not actually the exemption that bothers me.. it's the fact that a) RTE flew him to the states b) no doubt funded the TV documentary (which he used to promote the book) and c) allowed him to give out his twitter address every day on the radio (which was just a promotional tool for the book) and d) open up studios all over the country for him to do his book tour while also presenting his two hour show....

I mean they've bent over backwards for golden boy... I wouldnt mind only his late late shows are so devoid of research that you would think he would be more concerned with putting a bit of time in to THAT project, since he's being paid a half mil for it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

There's a thread about it in after hours... some red top tabloid 'slamming' him for making royalty-free money on his book.

1) If those people were ABLE to write books, they could avail of it too. Anyone can
    2) Who voluntarily pays more tax anyway?
    3) Musicians, authors and other artists all over the country do this too but nobody bats an eyelid
    4) It also applies to patent royalties.

It's just to sell papers I reckon

fabbydabby wrote: »
    There's a thread about it in after hours... some red top tabloid 'slamming' him for making royalty-free money on his book.It's just to sell papers I reckon

I agree with your points, but I think the artist exemption should also take into account whether the person has other earnings.. I mean most musicians / authors etc etc dont pull half a million from the state coffers every year on top of their "artistic" work.. There should be some sort of means testing or tax bands, as there is for other taxes.

just spotted the last line of the article:
    It is understood that no income tax will be applied to Ryan Tubridy's earnings for his book on President Kennedy's visit to Ireland in June 1963. They have been estimated at€480,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

fabbydabby wrote: »
    There's a thread about it in after hours...

So discuss it on After Hours then.

I'll remind you all again - this thread and this forum are for discussing presenters in the context of their radio programmes - not their personal lives or their work lives outside of radio.

Please stay ON TOPIC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

but he uses his radio show to promote his pet projects,and it affects the quality and content of his show, so it's relevent here imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

your actually 100per cent right there poly:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Poly wrote: »
    but he uses his radio show to promote his pet projects,and it affects the quality and content of his show, so it's relevent here imo.
    Certainly wouldn't happen on the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Fine! If he's discussing it on his show then feel free to discuss it here!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Sr. Pirotecnic

"I was back last week" (referring to Late Late) twice in the first three minutes of show - criticisms of taking too much time off getting to him?

10 mins in and we're on "the Kennedys", Willy wonka to follow no doubt. (fcuk this, back to NT)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

I'm much older than Ryan and can be forgiven for certain tricks being played on my mind by that thing called age.
    Today Ryan played The communards song 'Don't leave me this way' and then with a misty eyed flavour rambled on a bit about the 80's and 'the old days' when he was young and the song reminded him of being approached by some girl or another in a bar I think when he had had a few beers on him etc etc or some such story. All very good listening of course.
    Then I got to thinking hang on a minute, hes 37, Don't Leave Me This way was out in '86...He was 13!:eek:.

I do love the man but I'm sure I've heard him hijack stuff so to speak from the past before so this time I checked it out.

He'll be telling us next that in the 77 he was doing the John Travolta bit next to me on the disco dance floor next lol:D.

Then again I may have got this all wrong...mind playing games with me again..,, and way too much time on my hands this week lol lol:)
    Have a great day yawl!

"I was back last week" (referring to Late Late) twice in the first three minutes of show - criticisms of taking too much time off getting to him?

Yeah, seems like that.. But he keeps slipping up by saying "I havent spoken to you in AGES", and then having to try to pull back. All the voices are back.. Kennedy's, Downton Abbey, The Beatles.. There should be a warning to paranoid schizophrenics before the show..

He said it was a teenage disco in Wesley in 1989. Tubridy was born in 1973, which would have made him 16..... does that help?

He's some stud... all the women he's been with that he cant remember half of them. No doubt he wrote the numbers down in a little black BOOK.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The poor fecker was probably drinking all his dole money too:D

10 mins in and we're on "the Kennedys", Willy wonka to follow no doubt. (fcuk this, back to NT)

he was on a roll this morning
    jfk book jfk bill clinton the Kennedys, books. god he was on a roll jelly beans ladies shoes and willy wonka

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

jimmynokia wrote: »
    he was on a roll this morning
    jfk book jfk bill clinton the Kennedys, books. god he was on a roll jelly beans ladies shoes and willy wonka
    It's gonna be a tough new year. He started in September right? So does that mean by March we might see his 6 month JNLR figures?. I suspect that will be the only thing that will wake up 2fm managment to scrap his show. Or rather than be heavily red faced move him to afternoon radio or to Lyric.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

Poly,if ryan didn't talk about the book you'd accuse him of being a hypocrite, and say why is he interviewing other people about their tomes when he wont discuss his own.You have to admit that he has been very open about his book and hasn't tried to shy away from it.
    One thing i'd like to know about it is did he have any influenece over ted kennedy decision to support barack obama in the 2008 election.He met him a number of times while compiling JFK in Ireland.Ryan was constantly plugging "Dreams from my father" and speaking with Said Obama before anyone in the us or ireland had even heard of BO.Could have he influenced TK to support BO and help garner the huge irish-american vote?Ryan had to journey to Washington during the campaign and took time off work.What was he doing?This is something he keeps very quiet about.He was very upset when TK died and called him "The Lion of the Senate".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

miketv wrote: »
    It's gonna be a tough new year. He started in September right? So does that mean by March we might see his 6 month JNLR figures?. I suspect that will be the only thing that will wake up 2fm managment to scrap his show. Or rather than be heavily red faced move him to afternoon radio or to Lyric.

He would be unbearable on Lyric. Marty Whelan's bad enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

miketv wrote: »

Gerry Ryan wasnt even in the top 10 of the last JNLR ratings before he died - were management thinking of scrapping his show? Not a chance.

The Tubridy show is terrible agreed, but the fact is that he has been annointed as incumbent golden boy of RTE. He is the star of the whole franchise on the light entertainment side and he will be doing the radio show for a long, long time - as long as he wants it, and the LLS as well.

... other people about their tomes when he wont discuss his own.You have to admit that he has been very open about his book and hasn't tried to shy away from it.

That's more my argument than Poly.. My point on that is that he asks Emma (the newsreader) the most intrusive questions about her husband and kids, even playing audio of her kids on the air.. yet he balks at the most loose of references to his own life. I uploaded this a while ago to demonstrate my point.

I pointed this out when he was given Gerry Ryan's job as I couldnt see how he would fit the role... given that Gerry made the show about his life, his experiences, his kids etc etc.. and they give Tubridy the job, who is prepared to give nothing of his own life as material for the show.. He's filled that gap with references to TV shows, books and kid's films..

Of course he is very "open" about his book. It is nothing to do with him personally, and he gains euros every time he mentions it...
    ghiertal wrote: »
    Could have he influenced TK to support BO and help garner the huge irish-american vote?Ryan had to journey to Washington during the campaign and took time off work.

Yeah I'd say he did. Cos given how well Tubridy and all his FF party have run the country, we have dignitaries from the four corners of the world queueing up for advice from the Fianna Fáil....

• Advertisement

all the time we hear him asking people private questions
    i guarantee if somebody rang in and got on to asking him he would say id rather not go there or something like that he would find some way of getting off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

The poor fecker was probably drinking all his dole money too:D

He was there on Mickey Money night...

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

So what if he occasionally asks a private question? Everyone knows the names of his ex-wife, his kids,his girlfriends,his cousins etc.Everyone should know all about his life but if he asks one question he is branded intrusive? Considering that some of ye think he is a Fianna Fail plant in RTE does that even mean that he wants the job?Maybe he hates been put in the position of having to reveal everything about himself.He was engaging in a bit of gentle banter at the workplace.Emma should get over herself.Also, i suppose Ryan hid in the back of the Emma's car and taped her kids shouting "Theres Mammy.Ryan Tubridy".If she wants the limelight she should take the consequences.What information do think he should give about his private life?Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

So what if he occasionally asks a private question? Everyone knows the names of his ex-wife, his kids,his girlfriends,his cousins etc.Everyone should know all about his life but if he asks one question he is branded intrusive? Considering that some of ye think he is a Fianna Fail plant in RTE does that even mean that he wants the job?Maybe he hates been put in the position of having to reveal everything about himself.He was engaging in a bit of gentle banter at the workplace.Emma should get over herself.Also, i suppose Ryan hid in the back of the Emma's car and taped her kids shouting "Theres Mammy.Ryan Tubridy".If she wants the limelight she should take the consequences.What information do think he should give about his private life?Pathetic.

My aren't you touchy? Someone might think you have a vested interest or something...

Emma should get over herself.

I dont want to make more of this than it is.. My simple point is that I think if he's gonna ask Emma questions about her private life, then he should be prepared to answer the same questions himself... And I can imagine he would be absolutely FURIOUS if somebody played a tape of his two girls talking on the radio... It's double standards, he's prepared to use everybody elses lives as fodder for his show, but not his own... It's just being fair...

we must either love mr tubs or is somehow related touchy touchy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RCNPhotos

Just listening to his podcast about clampers as it's a subject I enjoy people moaning about. At the start though once again he's there getting that emma woman's blood pressure up. She really dislikes him, you can just hear it in her voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

I'll give it til easter at the most, he has to go.
    "madmen, jfk, books, band of brothers, bill clinton, haw haw, tweet, jelly beans, willy wonka"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

That's more my argument than Poly.. My point on that is that he asks Emma (the newsreader) the most intrusive questions about her husband and kids, even playing audio of her kids on the air.. yet he balks at the most loose of references to his own life. I uploaded this a while ago to demonstrate my point.

I hadn't heard that clip before, that's close to harassment of the newsreader.

Dreadful invasion of her privacy, he keeps going long after it's clear she is very uncomfortable.

She should have told him to feck off and talk about his own partner and kids.

• Advertisement

RCNPhotos wrote: »
    Just listening to his podcast about clampers as it's a subject I enjoy people moaning about. At the start though once again he's there getting that emma woman's blood pressure up. She really dislikes him, you can just hear it in her voice.

I've been listening to Hector for the last few mornings, when Emma is interacting with Hector, she is open, engaging and seems to enjoy the banter, the contrast is amazing.

Dealing with the office pest Tubridy must be the short straw in the news room.

Advertisement