Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

ONE OF US WILL HAVE TO TRY RING IN AND ASK HIM SOME QUESTIONS:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭prunudo

Poly wrote: »
    I've been listening to Hector for the last few mornings, when Emma is interacting with Hector, she is open, engaging and seems to enjoy the banter, the contrast is amazing.

You must have read my mind Poly, was thinking this yesterday and was going to post the same :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

telekon - consider this a warning. Abusive remarks about presenters will not be tolerated. Do it again and you will be banned.

SkidMark wrote: »
    That's more my argument than Poly.. My point on that is that he asks Emma (the newsreader) the most intrusive questions about her husband and kids, even playing audio of her kids on the air.. yet he balks at the most loose of references to his own life. I uploaded this a while ago to demonstrate my point.

I hadn't heard that clip before, that's close to harassment of the newsreader.

Dreadful invasion of her privacy, he keeps going long after it's clear she is very uncomfortable.

She should have told him to feck off and talk about his own partner and kids.

of course books had to come into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

ffs. He said that Michael Martin would be joining him "after 10" so I hung round... At about 25 past ten I got sick of waiting and listening to him spout on so I switched back to Radio One and THERE'S Michael Martin on with Pat Kenny... :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Advertisement

Dear God, he's just nonchalantly thrown in a question about Michael Martin's poor daughter, as if he was talking about his pet dog or something.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Tubridy just asked Micheal Martin about his daughter's death,

Kept at it even when Martin said he wasn't expecting questions on that.

Very bad form, the poor girl only passed away a few months ago.

Someone could at least have checked beforehand if Micheal Martin was prepared to answer questions about the girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

FFS Tubrity and his obsession with death strikes again. I can't believe he asked Martin about the death of his daughter when he is in the middle of a PR tour to get Cowen out. It totally threw Martin off course and as he said he wasn't expecting it. This is a political matter and no time for such personal out of the blue questions. How unprofessional of Tubs. He should have had the respect to ask Martin before the interview if he would be okay with such questions. Once he saw how uncomfortable Martin was with the questions he should have moved on, but no. He kept going and going until Martin himself had to say it was not appropriate. The man is a disgrace. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Micheal Martin daughter's death line of questioning........ Jaysus Tubridy, where were you going with that?
    This is the guy who hosts RTE's flagship show.
    The mind boggles.

Anyone hear the thing he was doing about the "best year of your life"...

"G1 what was the best year of your life.... (a response that cant be heard)... G2 what was your's... (cant hear her response either)".... eventually coming back to himself and saying "hmm what was the best year of my life?"... And I'm thinking, maybe he is gonna give something of his life experience to the show, maybe he's gonna recite an interesting anecdote or explain a exceptional event from one year in his life that made it stand out.... Just something, any token contribution of a memory that is special to him, that could possibly allow you to empathise with him or relate to him... What do we get?

"eh.. dont know.. mumble mumble mumble... I dont know.... ehh.. Michael Martin will be joining us after 10 o'clock"...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

I mostly stream Irish radio (having recently left the old sod n all) and I just can't listen to him. Don't mind him so much on the Late Late though (tend to watch it on rteplayer on a Saturday)! I listened sometimes to Gerry Ryan, but I did try to listen to Tubridy but just switched back to Ray D'arcy. I know loadsa people don't like him either, but I do and I enjoy the craic he has on his show, and I can totally ignore when he takes himself a bit to seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Dear God, he's just nonchalantly thrown in a question about Michael Martin's poor daughter, as if he was talking about his pet dog or something.....

Didn't hear it, but I can't believe he asked MM about his daughter, that's way out of order if he was there to talk politcs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Everyone on here is helping to keep him in a job, keep listening and adding to hes j.n.l.r. ratings! Well done lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

Everyone on here is helping to keep him in a job, keep listening and adding to hes j.n.l.r. ratings! Well done lads.

JNLR figures are calculated by surveys. They cant tell if your car radio is tuned into tubs! So if anyone happens to ask if you listen to tubs deny it.

ONE MORE TIME I shall remind you: This thread is for discussion of the Tubridy Show on 2FM. It is NOT for discussion of Tubridy's personal life, book deals, salary, politics within RTÉ, etc. - it is ONLY for discussion of the show. Off topic posts will be edited or deleted. Repeat offenders will be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Listened back to the Martin thing...why did he feel the need to ask him about his daughter?...what was that supposed to bring to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

Caught the first 20 minutes of the show this morning. Very poor.
    Telling Emma about seeing The Kings Speech yesterday, that he would give it seven out of ten. That some people spoke too loud and he does not like when loads of people tell you a film is going to be great. Next we learn that he watched National Geographic documentaries about Obama, Hilary Clinton and Air Force One, didnt get to see them all but he recorded them. He also watched The Savage Eye and The Frontline. So bloody boring.

He seemed bored by the Michaela Harte funeral coverage very casually and unconvincingly saying it was 'too sad for words'. Little bit more about Obama from a newspaper, few random words in his JFK accent. Slags off Helena Bonham Carter for trying too hard to be quirky (thats our decision to make apparently). Runs through the dresses/women from the Golden Globes saying Tilda Swinton is like a man.

Oh yeah I forgot about Emma, when he was finished his mini-movie review he switched to the papers without acknowledging her or telling her she was not needed anymore. We then get more incredulity on his part as he reads about the 3 months old boys who are in hospital, almost breathlessly reading the report saying that he just doesnt understand how people do this. Before suggesting that they call the hospital to check on the babies. The closest he came to sharing an insight into his real life experience was to say that life is not all rosy (in the context of an article about parents pretending parenting was easy - which in reality finding it difficult).

Other comments included: John Malkovich is weird looking, The Field looks good, Ricky Gervais is funny.

We were 'saved' from more of his ramblings by the Police Roxanne!! Is that you Alan?

See first 20 seconds:

I know that the account I have given above might seem totally inoffensive to a lot of people and you might wonder why I even bothered commenting. What I object to is is inability to engage the listeners, to comment meaningfully on anything outside his own narrow range of interests. It boils down to him relating his (not particularly interesting or informative) opinions of political and cultural matters, feigning empathy for human interest stories and giving nothing away about himself.

lempsipmax wrote: »
    What I object to is is inability to engage the listeners, to comment meaningfully on anything outside his own narrow range of interests. It boils down to him relating his (not particularly interesting or informative) opinions of political and cultural matters, feigning empathy for human interest stories and giving nothing away about himself.

Well put.. I was making a similar point with reference to his discussion (or lack of) about the best year of your life yesterday... It seems like his game is "See if I can get through the day without revealing anything of myself".. bar a few very abstract references and possibly a few generic anecdotes that portray him in a caring and positive light...

As a sample of his abstract references I could refer to his response to Kathryn Thomas' question on Friday Night... "Would you be into your food, or do you eat because you have to?"... His response: "It's a pleasant chore"... he could have been talking about anybody in the country..

Like I said before Christmas, they need to have a serious word with him.. The show needs a serious injection of a real person with a real personality.. Get rid of all the funny voices, the pretentious references to everything American, books, boring TV shows etc etc.. The show is redeemable, but it requires somebody in RTE radio having the b*lls to TELL Golden Boy what to change.. He is THEIR employee after all..

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

The show is redeemable, but it requires somebody in RTE radio having the b*lls to TELL Golden Boy what to change.. He is THEIR employee after all..
    I would have agreed with you Jonathan to a point but now I'm not sure can he claw back, its almost too late for him.
    Remember the week he suddenly perked up before xmas? I think after all of us getting very annoyed with replaying Emmas kids screaming for the 5th day in a row it suddenly stopped and there was a dramatic change in him overnight. I honestly believe either he or somebody close to him read this thread and he was responed positively. However it was very very short lived. Back to his old tricks a week later.
    But yes he might claw back but IMO every month that goes by its gonna get so much harder for 2FM to perk up the show. Now in saying that I remember in the Gerry Ryan documentary he too got off to a bad start in 2fm on the morning show but it did blossom over time.
    There may be hope for the show yet but the clock is ticking..

• Advertisement

lempsipmax wrote: »
    I know that the account I have given above might seem totally inoffensive to a lot of people and you might wonder why I even bothered commenting.
    Actually I thought it was a pretty accurate review of the first 20 minutes of this morning's show.
    What I object to is is inability to engage the listeners, to comment meaningfully on anything outside his own narrow range of interests. It boils down to him relating his (not particularly interesting or informative) opinions of political and cultural matters, feigning empathy for human interest stories and giving nothing away about himself.

Well that's where he and Gerry Ryan differ in essence in my opinion and it's a difference which will keep him from properly connecting with the existing audience for that time slot. If you ask me, the show is lacking that more personal feel and - unlike Gerry - there isn't that feeling that Ryan is as your friend and companion, understands your issues and is on the same level as you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

giftgrub wrote: »
    Listened back to the Martin thing...why did he feel the need to ask him about his daughter?...what was that supposed to bring to it?

he's emulating Bawbwa Walters

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

I'm a fan of Tubridy, but I think when it comes to "tragedy", he likes to be like Piers Morgan and ensures that his interviwee cries or gets emotional.

I remember in the aftermath of Stephen Gately's death, for example, Ronan Keating was on TLLS and Tubridy made him go into detail about how he found out SG had died, how he broke the news to his bandmates. In the end RK was practically in tears. Cue a few weeks later, Keith Duffy is on his radio show, speaking about his charity, SG is brought up again, every gory detail of how he felt after his friend died etc. A few weeks later SG's husband, practially tips him over the edge with the line of questioning. I've seen other examples too.

He just wants them to cry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

barbara-walters-50608-2dddddd.jpg

she wont be around for ever and then the student of her methods will pop on her stilettos...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

UpCork wrote: »
    I'm a fan of Tubridy, but I think when it comes to "tragedy", he likes to be like Piers Morgan and ensures that his interviwee cries or gets emotional.

GTFO of this thread!!

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

ha his jfk book just arrived in this months office book club selection. It's a 10er!!

anyway it was written by

THE defining Irish television personality of the modern age.
    Sunday Tribune

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

ha his jfk book just arrived in this months office book club selection. It's a 10er!!

anyway it was written by

THE defining Irish television personality of the modern age.
    Sunday Tribune

What does that even mean though? Is it an endorsement or a generic, hollow, meaningless statement? That says nothing to me.

how do you work that one out?
    he is not going to last another 6months

miketv wrote: »
    Remember the week he suddenly perked up before xmas?.

Yeah Mike I was thinking about this today.. and wondering if it had just been a figment of my imagination.. It seemed as if someone had a serious word in the Tubrid-ear that time, and he'd taken it on board... It was a bizarre aberration from his normal tomfoolery, yet he reverted to the same stupid voices, books, willy wonka etc within the week .. .. tomfoolery :pac: , a word pretentious enough that the man himself would be proud of it.. :D

• Advertisement

mary o rourke let tubs have it this morning it was great you could here tubridy cringe,after that it was twitter twitter tweet OFF goes the radio

Advertisement